Removed from Register

simplyjoe

My wife was removed from the electoral register despite having voted in the last 4 elections. Who can do this? Who is responsible? She is very upset as she is from a very politically active family. Any way that she can get justice? The whole thing seems farcical. Surely if you are being removed from a register you should at the very least get a letter advising you of same.

....... Who can do this? Who is responsible? ........

Well I wish I knew.

I have been trying to get one of my two register entries removed for the last year.

I asked to be removed

I got a letter saying I would be removed unless I responded asking not to be removed

I did not respond to it

I now I find I'm still on the **** thing

As you, er, say

The whole thing seems farcical.

have ye moved house or anything? My parents were removed too after moving house last year even though they always vote.

Also know of ppl who are on the register now eventhough they are not irish citizens.

There was a big campaign a few months ago for people to check to see if they were on the register and if not to get added - alot of politicians got removed too.

have ye moved house or anything? My parents were removed too after moving house last year even though they always vote.

Also know of ppl who are on the register now eventhough they are not irish citizens.

Non-Irish citizens have been on the register for years, they're entitled to be on it if they are a) UK citizens who can vote in Dáil elections, b) EU citizens who can vote in local & european elections or c) non-EU citizens who can vote in local elections. That said it's a disgrace the OPs wife has been removed.

ya these ppl are not from eu and only been here a year so thought it was strange that they can vote when loads of ppl taken off it

This is why you are advised to check the register in November every year as names go on and off every year. Did she check it?

ya these ppl are not from eu and only been here a year so thought it was strange that they can vote when loads of ppl taken off it

they can be on the register but not entitled to vote in this election. if however, they've received polling cards then that's a different matter and they should not vote. from the OPs point of view his wife could check the register for her previous address, she may still be registered to vote somewhere else.

I got removed simply because I was not home when they called to compile the register. First I knew was when a letter was received saying I was being removed.

I immediately contacted the council and I had to go to a special sitting of the circuit court and state my case before I was allowed back on the register. The court was full of people in the same sitatuation. The Judge was not impressed.

It's a joke imho. I still know of several people receiving multiple polling cards and they are not a mile from my house.

My wife was removed from the electoral register despite having voted in the last 4 elections. Who can do this? Who is responsible? She is very upset as she is from a very politically active family. Any way that she can get justice? The whole thing seems farcical. Surely if you are being removed from a register you should at the very least get a letter advising you of same.
simplejoe; Both my husband and I are it seems no longer on the register either. Having not received our polling cards by Monday last I phoned my local council only to be informed "you are not on the system" when I asked why? I was informed "no idea". We have voted for years never had a problem before.
I too am angry that someone has removed our names, no explanation, no letter, no apology, NO VOTE! What makes my blood boil even more is last year every household in the country was sent an Application for Registration Form to complete, it stated "Even if you are on the Current Register of Electors you must complete this form to be eligible to vote" I returned our completed form on 9th October last.
But thats not the last of it...whoever is responsible for removing our names decided to put our daughters name on the Register...... and thats another story!

:mad:

they can be on the register but not entitled to vote in this election. if however, they've received polling cards then that's a different matter and they should not vote. from

they got voting cards - they think it will be "fun" to vote!!

The electoral register was majorly overhauled in the autumn with tens of thousands of people removed at the direction of the Minister for the Environment. It was up to everyone to check they were on the register after November and get on it if they were gone.

There was a lot of publicity about this at the time and I have little sympathy for people who've just discovered they're not registered. It took 3 forms and 2 letters for me to get back on it but I'm there.

I'm a bit puzzled how someone would not have heard about it. I don't watch the news or read papers much and even I heard about it.

If you find yourself off the register with no polling card, is there anything that you can do at all to vote - like show up at the polling station with your passport and proof of address or anything?

No, there's nothing you can do now except request an application form for the new draft. I'm the same and am so peeved. Had not changed anything and yet was removed from where I've previously voted.

"In regard to removing electors from the register in the course of its preparation, authorities are required under a ministerial instruction issued under section 18 of the Electoral Act 1992 to send a notice to a person, whose name it is proposed to omit from the draft register, indicating that they have failed to establish that the person is still resident at the address and, unless evidence to the contrary is provided within ten days, his or her name will be removed."

Ref:http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=DAL20041028.xml&Ex=All&Page=43

SimplyJoe,

Are you sure your wife is not on the register?? Not being smart but I checked myself online and no sign of my name etc, went with form to Guards to double check and have change of address form signed and they too confirmed that I was no longer on register.

As last resort and numerous phone calls to local council, I was found!!!!! :confused: apparently when names were being added online/register updated last year there were a lot of inaccuracies by the "people" inputting on the system. In particular if your name is in Irish where a fada would be used, or if there is an apostrophe in your name. Plus addresses were input incorrectly! Mine is literally backward!

Eventhough I havent received a polling card I have been assured that I can turn up and vote as long as I bring all the usual ID etc. Maybe give it a try?? Good luck

Back