Removed from Register

i checked my sisters info for her online a few weeks ago and she was registered. then today she wasn't! she never got a polling card, thanks to the above message i realised there might have been a mistake and rang fingal, she is on the register. so the message is, check with the council as their online versions aren't trustworthy. numpties!

No, they can't. The register is managed by the Franchise section of your local authority, and councillors have no direct access.

Sorry, I didn't mean that Councillors can delete people of right, but they regularly do seek deletions (and additions) by applying to the County Registrar in Court. The attached file gives more details on the system.

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/Voting/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,1897,en.pdf

I definitely removed myself from my old address but it seems a polling card arrived there too as well as my current address.

The electoral register was majorly overhauled in the autumn with tens of thousands of people removed at the direction of the Minister for the Environment. It was up to everyone to check they were on the register after November and get on it if they were gone.

There was a lot of publicity about this at the time and I have little sympathy for people who've just discovered they're not registered. It took 3 forms and 2 letters for me to get back on it but I'm there.

I did not see any publicity. What my post was about was who removed her and why was she not informed? We hear this stuff about the importance of using your vote but then people are removed and they dont even get the courtesy of being asked. It shows a huge disrespect for the whole process. Does this mean that before every election you have to check the register? Nonsense I registered to vote then dont take me off unless you are sure I am not entitled to vote. I should not have to check every time. My wife is very upset and no one is owning up to making the error. Typical Ireland. No accountability. Do what you like. Make mistakes and get away with it.

Sorry but it was all over the news and the papers. There was war about it, some TDs and Senators were taken off the register. Some registers were totaly decimated.

The reason being 600,000 people on the register who shouldn't have been. Mostly duplications because people had moved and were still on the original register. So the various county councils were directed by the department of the environment to correct their register and they took different tactics to update their registers.

My experience of two of them:

Cork Co. Co (where I had been on the register) sent a letter to my previous address stating that I had been removed from the register as I did not seem to be living there any more. If I wanted to go on the register I had to send proof that I was still at that address, otherwise I would remain off their register.

Fingal Co. Co. - sent in registration forms in 2004, 2005 and 2006. Guy called round in the middle of the afternoon in September (obviously I was at work) and left a note to say he'd been. Then got a letter from Fingal asking for proof as above. Replied with the proof and signed their letter...6 weeks later the guy calls round again and same as before. When I sent back proof the second time I posted it and faxed it. I also phoned the franchise section of the council to make sure I was on the register. And I am.

As someone mentioned before, your issue is with the franchise section of the County Council. They should have sent a letter.

Did not see the publicity. Question still remains. Why remove someone who consistently voted and why not advise her.

The councils didn't examine voting patterns in their review, that would have taken too long and prove nothing as you could have voted for 20 years in one place but then moved on.

In most cases they called to houses. Your wife SHOULD have got a letter from the council, she needs to take it up with them.

Did not see the publicity. Question still remains. Why remove someone who consistently voted and why not advise her.

Because there were lots of deceased people voting consistently. Which is why this was started to clean up the register. It was all over the media, and they had people calling around to the door on numerous occasions in our area. I guess the idea was if in doubt. Drop them off the register, and let them put themselves back on. Probably the most cost and resource effective way of doing it.

Sorry, I didn't mean that Councillors can delete people of right, but they regularly do seek deletions (and additions) by applying to the County Registrar in Court. The attached file gives more details on the system.

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/Voting/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,1897,en.pdf

True, but note that "Interested persons are notified of the county registrar's decision" so this wouldn't explain any unexpected removals from the register.

I personally know 5 people who were deleted from the register without receiving any notification. These were committed activists who don't ignore their post. Only two noticed in time and made enough of a fuss to get back on. I've also heard second hand of a particular area where the grown up sons and daughters of one party's supporters were removed with out notice whilst those of another - despite living outside the country- remained on.

I can only agree that it doesn't seem to have been a very sophisticated process and can imagine theres been a lot of mistakes. You'd think it could have been done more accurately.

I can only agree that it doesn't seem to have been a very sophisticated process and can imagine theres been a lot of mistakes. You'd think it could have been done more accurately.

Exactly. Whoever planned it showed no skill and whoever carried it out made mistakes. Will heads roll? Not likely. These people who are in charge of these things get paid huge wages and get great pensions. They shoud be accountable for their mistakes.

Back