Remortgaging to finance a wedding

Does nobody else think this a a joker/troll/ st???
Anyone earning 100k+ with an interest only mortgage has issues with cash flow management in my opinion so taking on more debt for a wedding is a bit mad - considering they already have 3/4 of the amount they want to remortgage for anyway.

I read the whole thread and it did cross my mind. :eek: €110k jointly pa is over €6k net per month. It's a lot of mismanaged dosh!

I am not married and have no plans to get married in forseeable future but would under no circumstances re-mortgage to pay for a party. I have absolutely no problem 'footing the bill' through giving cash or voucher as a gift. It saves me time and hassle of going to the shops, chosing a gift, wrapping it, lugging it or posting to the newlyweds, etc. Besides, I'd much rather receive cash or a voucher for any occassion than a crappy gift I neither need nor want. But that's just me! ;)

Somehow I think that most newlyweds would have much smaller weddings if it wasn't for endless lists of aunties, uncles and cousins they've never even met but who have to be invited because the parents of the bride or groom have been to their family's weddings.

my cousin got married recently in co. cavan. they had about 320 guests, apparently they were given 36,000 euros in cheques and cash, that should pay for a few dinners !!!?? - self financing from what i see.

And they Cavan people are tight with money :)

I think the big expenses at weedings are the hotel, where the shaggers charge more than they would for the same meal if you arrived on any other given day.
But the costs that creep in are things like the band (here I would really ecommend spending the money, because a band can make or break a wedding and everyone rememebrs the good and the bad ones), the flowers, car, the bloomin photographer (and he doesn't even use film these days).

Now you can cut costs by getting friends/family involved in lots of these area but be careful that they actually know what they are doing.
Also why would you want 320 people at your wedding,you wao't get chance to talk to half of them and the other half you will want to avoid.

I think anyone who would consider remortgaging their house to pay for a wedding is off their heads and on another planet. Why do people want big weddings? I hope this custom soon dies out as it does no one any favours whatsoever, and all it does is leave you in debt ( you will pay a hefty interest rate for you borrowings over many years, add it up) and if the price of houses fall sharply you could find yourself in negative equity.By all means get married but have the party in your house and only as many guests as will fit in it or in a marquee in the garden. Think again!

Back