Remortgaging to finance a wedding

Thanks for all the advice. At the moment we are on about EUR110k joint gross income. Our only other payments besides our mortgage are a car loan of EUR150 per month and our utility bills, food etc. We haven't paid off any of the capital on our mortgage. I estimate that we would need about EUR20k for the wedding. My parents are refusing to let us ask for cash as gifts for the wedding as they see it as being rude. I have about EUR15k from SSIA payments but my fiance has no savings.

Why assume that perty is a man?

well, i'm looking at a computer screen - using my imagination and just thought Perty was a man (someone above thought Perty was a woman..) i didn't notice any reference to the sex of the poster. on another note, CCOVICH i also assumed that you are Male...am i correct

I gathered that perty was a girl who didn't like spending her own money (ssia) and would prefer to have her husband and herself to take out a top up mortgage rather than spend "her" money. Marriage usually means what belongs to you also belongs to your husband and vice versa. Could be wrong though..!

what's yours is mine and whats mine is mine :) he he only joking niallers :) for a day like a wedding totally agree whatever ya have each goes in the pot for the big day, unless your dad's jp !

well, i'm looking at a computer screen - using my imagination and just thought Perty was a man (someone above thought Perty was a woman..) i didn't notice any reference to the sex of the poster.

perty said:
I have about EUR15k from SSIA payments but my fiance has no savings.

Fiance=male
Fiancée=female

Don't know too many pert males either :D

Please don't ask for money as a gift for your wedding. If people want to give you money, fine. But if you can't afford the wedding and need to ask your guests to pay their way (shock horror) then best to have a low key, tasteful affair or to get married abroad with a small wedding and have a big party for everyone else when you get back.

20k sounds like a lot of money to drop on one day for you if you can only afford an interest-only mortgage. Just saying...

We got married abroad with 26 guests and it cost us over €20k, so the old "its cheaper to get married abroad" isnt always true.
You wont need to ask for cash gifts we have all hear Eddie Hobbs and most people give them anyway.

Use the SSIA and save the remaining approx €5k.

Fiance=male
Fiancée=female

Don't know too many pert males either :D

sadly not everyone knows A - the difference between the two (i know several people who spell it without any e's in it lol) and B - how to do the Fada thing on a computer

your teeth are lovely btw ;)

I am at a total loss as to this mad spending on one day!. Especially with such good salaries and not paying any capital off your mortgage you really need to keep this as low key as possible if you can't control your money!. Sorry to be blunt but from what you posted it seems that way!!

We got married last year, very low key, 26 guests and had a fab day as did our families and friends. We got married in a small church outside Wicklow and had our meal/music etc in a fab hotel and partied all day & night. Guests still talk about the meal it was so fab. Our wedding all in incl photographer, dresses, etc cost €7k!!!. It's the way to do it!.
Also, we jointly earn €100k, bought a house recently for €380k on 3 years fixed (wouldn't dream of going interest only!), have 2 kids under 5 and alot of expenses but we have a great life too, it's all about cash management, control and cop on really!!.
Sorry but I am astounded that you would remortgage for a wedding!!, just talked my sister out of it so hopefully you will do the same!!.

Good luck. (BTW, I think the OP is female and needs to stop shopping in BT's, Pennys and H&M is just as good love!!)

Also, it is rude to ask for cash gifts, we didn't but must admit we did get cash from all guests which is great, but it's very off putting to put it on an invite. I would get you a voucher for Dunnes Stores for spite!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
and
its none of their business, you could say something like 'cash gifts welcome, at guests disgression'

Please, please DON'T do this as:

A - there's a spelling mistake and
B - it's still asking for cash which is very rude and will most likely backfire.

Like Headachecity I got married last year. We fed and watered about 120 guest and it cost us less than 7k.

Fine, have the 20k wedding if you want, but only if you can afford it. Risking your house to pay for one day is mad.

you would be amazed at how many people re mortgage for silly reasons. I know a couple who have re mortgaged twice in two years (they own the house 3 years), first to get rid of their car loans and go on a holiday to the states and the second to build an extension. They have a four bed house and no children!

you would be amazed at how many people re mortgage for silly reasons. I know a couple who have re mortgaged twice in two years (they own the house 3 years), first to get rid of their car loans and go on a holiday to the states and the second to build an extension. They have a four bed house and no children!
The second reason isn't that silly. The first may not be unless they end up paying for their cars and holidays over decades.

I'll have to disagree with you here. They own the house less than 3 years and they have remortgaged twice!It is a four bedroom house. It's a 35 year mortgage so they are now paying off two car loans and a holiday off over 35 years. Madness.

I said it's not necessarily madness to use equity in the property to replace higher cost loans with a lower cost topup as long as the latter is cleared in a similar period or at lower overall cost to the original loans. Paying for a car or holiday over 35 years is indeed madness.

If my kids (in the future) put a request for cash gifts on the invites I'd refuse to go. Out of respect for me their parent I would not expect them to do this. It may be their wedding but it will be relations of the parents who are also present. It's highly insulting.

OP I think you should use the ssia and save the balance, or have a 15K wedding now. Also you need to start repaying capital on your mortgage. Can't understand how a bank would let you on interest only.

We remotgaged a couple of years ago to finance gas heating, new kitchen and double glazing. We only had the mortgage about 3 years at that stage but it was done on the basis that the ssia would mature in 2 years and we'd pay it off then. It probably cost the same as a personal loan but the repayments we had to make were only €100 pm instead of about €400 so it worked well for us. But there's no way we'd have left it for the duration of the loan.

My wedding 4 years ago cost about 7k (excluding 3k honeymoon) and we saved for it. That was for 80 people. I'd never pay for one day over years and anyone I know who has done that has regretted it. Not at the time but 5 years later when they realise they're still paying for it.

And with those salaries and no other significant loans why are you paying interest only?? Have you got a great social life you don't want to give up? Have a kid, that'll sort out your priorities for you.

I'm economising and I am managing to spend 20K on Honey Moon and wedding,130 people 4 course meal with choice. if you want to know how send me a private message.

I'm saving Like mad for it. I would have gotten a credit union load to bridge a few grand if needed, but I'm looking good at the moment.

We are slowlely on the way to become one of the most indebted people in the world and its not healthy, only spend what you can afford.

As for Gifts, say nothing, offer no wedding list and don't ask for money. A lot of people will give money anyway because they don't know what to get.

When asked my Sister is hinting at it to those who won't be offended and those I know are tight for cash I'll offer a cheap present suggestion.

20K is a tight budget depending on the size of the wedding, I'll give you any tips you need but as you have 15K already your sorted to have the money.

If your worried about putting all the money in yourself, remember that your whole life is a long time and there will be many time when tables will turn and you'll be supported by the other half. Swings and round abouts.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm seriously going to reconsider remortgaging now.

Our main problem is that my fiance is on half the salary I'm on but insists on paying for half the wedding (i.e. I'm on about 73k and he's on 35k gross) . At the moment he is struggling to get by paying half the mortgage, bills, loan and credit card every month. I could probably afford to pay for the whole wedding using my savings but I don't think he'd allow that. He feels that if we pay the cost over the life of the mortgage it will be less impact on him.

Our main problem is that my fiance is on half the salary I'm on but insists on paying for half the wedding (i.e. I'm on about 73k and he's on 35k gross) . At the moment he is struggling to get by paying half the mortgage, bills, loan and credit card every month.
So why doesn't he borrow from you (maybe at 0%) rather than from the bank at 5% over 30+ years? You could get him to sign up for 30 years of ironing or something in lieu of interest. :)
I could probably afford to pay for the whole wedding using my savings but I don't think he'd allow that. He feels that if we pay the cost over the life of the mortgage it will be less impact on him.
Only if he takes the short term view (e.g. monthly repayment amount). If he looks at the total cost of the credit over the 35 years then he may get a shock. Use Karl Jeacle's mortgage calculator to work this out but as far as I can see €20K at 5% over 35 years will cost a total of c. €42K (the original capital of €20K plus c. €22K interest).

Back