Rejected by N26 but don't know why

AlastairSC

I applied for the first stage of opening an account with N26 - email, DoB, mobile number etc. Received this today:

Thank you for your interest in N26.
We couldn't confirm your application to open a new account since your user information could not be validated.
Thank you for your understanding.

That seems to be the end of it from their point of view. No opportunity to submit ID, verify email, SMS to mobile or any other validation steps. Why is this? They don't say what didn't work, so I am in the dark. I contacted an agent via chat and after inputting email, DoB etc again, the same ending -

We reviewed the information you provided and must inform you that according to our current verification procedures, we're unable to offer ........

and with that, the agent closed down the chat! No opportunity to ask why. I find this baffling and, if I'm honest, upsetting too. I've two other bank accounts and credit cards, all operating successfully for 25 years or more.

I cannot find a mechanism to explore this further. Am I the victim of identify theft? In what way are my email address, DoB and phone number acting against me? How can I take this further? All advice from wiser heads welcome.

ASC

Last edited:
Also, the fact that they just hang up on you seems pretty nasty and disrespectful to say the least.

Is the Ombudsman competent?

Central Bank website says N 26 is a "credit Institution authorised in another Member State of the EEA which has notified the Financial Regulator of its intention to provide deposit-taking and other services in the State on a cross-border basis."

AFAIK an entity has to be authorised by the Central Bank itself for the Ombudsman to get involved.

Hi Coyote

Never thought of that.

[broken link removed]

Raising a complaint​

We’re sorry you feel the need to raise a complaint, please see below for the ways you are able to do this.

If you are dissatisfied with one of our products or services, you can send us an email from your registered email address* or send your complaint via post to the address to:

N26 Bank GmbH – Complaint Management Klosterstraße 62, 10179 Berlin, Germany

To submit your complaint via email please write to the following email address based on the country of your account Terms & Conditions:

Alternatively you can request to raise a complaint via our live support team and they will be happy to assist.

When filing a complaint, please always include:

• Your full name email and home address
  • The product or service you're unhappy happy with
  • A description of your complaint and when this occurred.
  • You can also include any supporting documentation you have in relation to your complaint
If the complaint is presented by means of a representative, it must also be accompanied by a special notarized power of attorney form.

We’ll contact you via email to confirm that we’ve received your complaint and then begin our investigation. In case we need more information from you, our Complaint Management department will reach out directly via email with an explanation of the information required.

Once our Complaint Management department has investigated your concerns we will provide you with a final decision via email.

If you are unhappy with the outcome of your complaint​

If you are not satisfied with the resolution provided, you can escalate your complaint to an independent third party.

The European Commission has also set up the Online Dispute Resolution platform to help consumers dispute out of court.

We are committed to constantly improving our products and services and your feedback makes this possible. Should you wish to provide us with feedback regarding anything, please write to us at [email protected](new tab) (new tab).

* We can only discuss account related matters from an email address registered with the N26 account

I applied for the first stage of opening an account with N26 - email, DoB, mobile number etc. Received this today:

Thank you for your interest in N26.
We couldn't confirm your application to open a new account since your user information could not be validated.
Thank you for your understanding.

That seems to be the end of it from their point of view. No opportunity to submit ID, verify email, SMS to mobile or any other validation steps. Why is this? They don't say what didn't work, so I am in the dark. I contacted an agent via chat and after inputting email, DoB etc again, the same ending -

We reviewed the information you provided and must inform you that according to our current verification procedures, we're unable to offer ........

and with that, the agent closed down the chat! No opportunity to ask why. I find this baffling and, if I'm honest, upsetting too. I've two other bank accounts and credit cards, all operating successfully for 25 years or more.

I cannot find a mechanism to explore this further. Am I the victim of identify theft? In what way are my email address, DoB and phone number acting against me? How can I take this further? All advice from wiser heads welcome.

ASC
Hey man, I’m facing the exact same problem. Just wondering if you found out what the problem was.

18 Yr old daughter had exactly the same rejection. Absolutely no reason for them to fo so.

That’s incredibly weird, especially the fact that they can’t tell you what the problem is.
I just tried creating an account again using my own Tax ID but a different address, name, email address etc, and it worked.

I just tried creating an account again using my own Tax ID but a different address, name, email address etc, and it worked.
Be very careful

Back