Registrars Court

Grin & Bear it!

Hi - can anybody tell me what exactly the procedure is in the registrars court? I will be representing myself. Will I be asked a questions? Is it an open court? Are there usually journalists present?

First off, fair play to you for attending. It will be easier than you think.

Have you filed an appearance?

I'm assuming that you're in Dublin...also, if this the first date? If so, it will be adjourned automatically, but you should still attend.

I'd suggest not entering via the entrance to Court 33 etc off the quays, purely to avoid the photographers. They won't actually want your photo (no offence) but it can be a bit offputting as they'll take it anyway (in case you're some celebrity's co-borrower. Enter via the back or through the main Four Courts lobby.

It is a small enough room and quite cramped. There are usually borrowers, barristers, MABS, solicitors, and sometimes a journalist, but again they're only really interested in celebrity related stuff.

It is like a "regular court" in the way that most of us would imagine, but a little less formal.

The most important thing from your perspective is to be honest, concise, and to prepare. In my view, the Registrar is on the side of the borrower, but adopts professional scepticism around whether the borrower is a spoofer. It is vital to demonstrate that you are not a spoofer.

Thereafter, it is inportant that you are concise and relevant. Identify the three or so key points that you wish to make. State that you have shown respect for the Court and for the process by being there.

It is important to be able to demonstrate that you are paying something. It is also important to be able to demonstrate that you are trying to engage with the bank.

All of the above will be relevant for subsequent court dates even if this is your first one.

Most importantly, do not let this process bury you. Many people have been through it. I saw it weigh heavily on my uncle, but together we were able to navigate it.

Last edited:
Hi Grin

Advice for people facing court repossession proceedings

Which lender is it and which court?

Agree with Gordon's advice although I wouldn't worry too much about the photographers. Journalists don't attend the courts unless they see some celebrity on the list. On some very rare occasions they do report on the courts, but they will always respect the privacy on a non-celebrity.

The key thing is go down on one of the days before you are due and watch the proceedings. You will feel much more comfortable on the day.

Brendan

Last edited:
My uncle was badly shaken when the photographers took our picture; I knew they'd just delete them when they realised we weren't celebrities, but that can be avoided completely by entering via the main Four Courts entrance and effectively "turning left" to head down towards Court 33 etc.

There is some great information on this site which hopefully Grin can leverage.

Back