Refused Planning

jigseyCork

Hi

We sold our House in Ballincollig in December, as we intended to purchase an 1/2 Acre site with OPP Near Rylane.
The purchase of the site fell through due to the being 1acre with opp (not 1/2) and the vendors didnt want to give us thre extra land. ( it was refused on 1/2 acre)

Anyway We were now homeless but living with Freinds in Grenagh.

My wife was born and bred in the house next door, So we approached the Farmer oppisite us, and he agreed to sell us a site.

We contacted our Architect and submitted Plans 8 weeks ago, this week we had to pull our plans as we were told by our local Councillor he was going to be rejected. The reason being our housing needs.

We will re-apply, can anyone offer any more infomation???#

Thanks

surely if you a technically homeless then you should goto the top of the housing need register.

Anyway, I am really sorry to hear about your situation and hope it works out for you

Did you actually pull the plans - why not just let them get back to you & tell you either yes/no/further information (this is the most likely)?

If you do not have a house then you do have a housing need..........
If your wife is from the area then you should qualify as local needs..........
Therefore the only issue should be the site itself & the type of house - not enough info in op to tell if there are issues with these.

Im not sure I understand why you pulled the plans...........rather than letting it go through.....

if you sell a house to create a 'housing need' then as such you don't have a housing need is what I have been told by a councilor. Because you have created a false housing need.
Which means as I see it that if you want to live in a restricted area that you can never buy a house elsewhere before buying the house in the area. Which is stupid beyond belief.

jigseyCork said:
Hi

We sold our House in Ballincollig in December, as we intended to purchase an 1/2 Acre site with OPP Near Rylane.
The purchase of the site fell through due to the being 1acre with opp (not 1/2) and the vendors didnt want to give us thre extra land. ( it was refused on 1/2 acre)

Anyway We were now homeless but living with Freinds in Grenagh.

My wife was born and bred in the house next door, So we approached the Farmer oppisite us, and he agreed to sell us a site.

We contacted our Architect and submitted Plans 8 weeks ago, this week we had to pull our plans as we were told by our local Councillor he was going to be rejected. The reason being our housing needs.

We will re-apply, can anyone offer any more infomation???#

Thanks

Hi,
I can sympathise with your situation having been rejected PP in similar circumstances myself. I would suggest Ditching your Councillor (I have my susppicions as to who he is, and I've found that since I too ditched him I've made more progress) as any councillor worth his salt should have no difficulty arguing your case. A meeting with the planners is a waste of time, regardless of the fact that it's almost impossible to get anyway.

Having problems with obtaining planning from Cork Co Co ourselves - tried ABP, councillor, Snr Cork Co Co officials (county manager, etc) and all to no avail. I have noticed that Michael Creed is advertising in B'collig newsletter - Problems with Cork Co Co - incl. planning. As Mayor of County Cork and member of opposition party he MAY be able to help! Tried local ex-councillor with son currently on the board and who himself is Jnr Minister for the Env but got nowhere.

TBH I have found Cork County Council MOST inefficient - I was led to believe that one of the basic principals of law - especially planning law - was precedent - however when we put this to CCC they advised us "We would rather be inconsistent than continue to make mistakes" - just a coincidence that the mistake happened to be in favour of one of their employees!

We also sold our house to buy this site and explained to the council that we were homeless but they didn't care. Explained that the reasons they were citing for refusal was identical to the circumstances surrounding the CCC ee who obtained planning weeks before our refusal on an adjoining site!

Basically they are a law onto themselves and would appear to be accountable to nobody and can justify their reasons with something as pathetic and ignorant as "Because!"

Hey there, i am in the same situation with a county council close to cork.
i am trying to get planning on a site down home but have been told because i am renting/living and working in cork my housing need should be up there so why do i not build a house in Cork!!!

They really are unbelievable! It is unbelievable the stories you'd hear about the Cork coco planning dept. That kind of answer has an unbeliveable taint of Ivory Tower-ism.

Is there an ombudsman or anything that people can complain about planning to? It seems that there a lots of riduclous rules and inconsistencies in most county councils regarding planning.
I have no objections to the need for planning rules & obviously there is always going to be someone unhappy because they cannot get planning but surely they can't just get away with complete inconsistencies with no comeback available to the applicant??

Have to say that I have not had any luck with Councillors myself & wonder if they are any use at all - if everybody applying is going to a councillor well then surely they don't pull any weight?

i lived adjacent to an area where cork county council sold off sites,one site went to a guy who works for the council(i assume he paid the going rate at the time of 30k).i had and still have a copy of the rules on building a house in ths development in Lehenaghmore.the rules state clearly that a brick wall must be constructed to the front of the house.All of the houses constructed have built walls at great expense but this person decided that a ranch still fence was best and guess what.. 8 years later it's still there.. so much for policing the planning

Sorry to hear all the bad experiences you have had with cork coco. To add a bit of balance I suppose ( and I dont work for the council!) I have to say I have had a very good experience. Bought a site subject to planning in a rural control area (wife is from the area) submitted our planning aplication ourselves - for a very unusual house. Whole process took approx 3 months, no grief at all. Didnt approach any councellors, architects, engineers, county managers, politicians at all. Did it all ourselves, rang county council on a regular basis for updates. All went fine.
Just an alternative view.

actually if you think about it the planners must be sick of councillors and the nod nod wink wink culture they use and go against them to annoy them.. it's the normal people who loose ot,really

Winnie said:
Is there an ombudsman or anything that people can complain about planning to?

If you make a complaint to the Enforcement section of the LA and you feel that they have not handled the matter appropriately, you can make a complaint to the Ombudsman - only after "a reasonable amount of time".

However, we currently are going down the Enforcement route and I have just been informed that because the planning has now expired for the development, they cannot enforce conditions of planning. Despite the fact that development did commence on the site and the LA were aware of this and took enforcement action ~4yrs ago!

AFAIK an Enforcement notice has effect for 10yrs but action must be taken within 7 years after the alleged offence was committed. The CCC official that I spoke to today couldn't confirm this! What competency! How reassuring!

its amazing actually that politicans haven't given themselves more power to grant planning permissions and taken some of the power away from planners

legend99 said:
if you sell a house to create a 'housing need' then as such you don't have a housing need is what I have been told by a councilor. Because you have created a false housing need.
Which means as I see it that if you want to live in a restricted area that you can never buy a house elsewhere before buying the house in the area. Which is stupid beyond belief.

We never sold our House for the Grenagh site, it was sold for a site in Knockrour, which fell through.

Winnie said:
Im not sure I understand why you pulled the plans...........rather than letting it go through.....

We were advised to pull them before they were rejected, because there is a 5 year clause where you cannot re-apply for planning. We intend to find out why the reasons it would have been rejected and make changes etc and try again

Lorz said:
Basically they are a law onto themselves and would appear to be accountable to nobody and can justify their reasons with something as pathetic and ignorant as "Because!"

Welcome to Galway County Council.

i know personally of a girl who had her councillor/TD write to Galway county council saying she was living with her paernts and brothers and sisters complete with grandma and her own 2 kids so had an urgent need for housing in the area,it also said he husband couldn't find work in the area.. guess what.. she was working and living in Cork and had her own house with the husband down here.. they got the planning (dad had given her a free site) and as soona s the house was built he got a job in galway and they left cork,renting out their property here.. there's a cheek for ya

jigseyCork said:
We never sold our House for the Grenagh site, it was sold for a site in Knockrour, which fell through.

as far as I know it doesn't matter....you owned a house so you had no housing need. You created that need by selling so i think they look dimly on that need.

jigseyCork said:
We were advised to pull them before they were rejected, because there is a 5 year clause where you cannot re-apply for planning.

AFAIK there isn't a 5yr clause preventing you from re-applying but there has to be a "considerable change in circumstances" to warrant an approval where a refusal was previously issued. It really is a good idea to talk to the planner (you probably won't get a meeting if you're not CCC employee!). Our area planner only takes calles Mon & Wed 09.30-10.30 - be prepared to wear your finger out hitting redial but do persist. Also worth noting that if you get the area planners name his email address will be similar to [email protected]. Could try contacting him this way!

Back