Refused letter of tax residence as they have no record of my paying taxes. What do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They've literally told you what to do.

• File tax returns
  • Establish an employment record
  • Until you do - and more particularly can do - wait.
This isn't hard.
Okay I'm in full time studies for the next two years.

So for the purposes of becoming a tax resident, I have to find a job and pay some taxes?

Really?

This is the only way?

And until I do I can't avail of the double tax agreement on Raisin, basically?

They didn't. Since 2008 at the latest.
Correct.

So, do I just contact former employers and request some kind of pay slip which verifies my having paid tax?

Did a stint with a city council at one point, one would imagine their records would be up to scratch?

Correct.

So, do I just contact former employers and request some kind of pay slip which verifies my having paid tax?

Did a stint with a city council at one point, one would imagine their records would be up to scratch?
Your earnings from 2008 have no bearing on your present tax residence. It's what the position is now, not 15 years ago.

Your earnings from 2008 have no bearing on your present tax residence. It's what the position is now, not 15 years ago.
But revenue claimed they have no history of my ever having paid taxes in Ireland, therefore could not validate me with tax residency.

If I provided proof, it could not amend that situation?

But revenue claimed they have no history of my ever having paid taxes in Ireland, therefore could not validate me with tax residency.

If I provided proof, it could not amend that situation?
It's odd no record of you can be found but your 2008 situation has no impact on your tax residency in 2023.

So for the purposes of becoming a tax resident, I have to find a job and pay some taxes?

Really?

This is the only way?

No, you may already be tax resident, or you may not. But Revenue won't certify you as tax resident unless you do what they request. Unfortunately. It's that simple.

Perhaps Raisin might accept say a sworn affidavit made by you and supported by appropriate evidence of residency. You should ask them.

Last edited:
No, you may already be tax resident, or you may not. But Revenue won't certify you as tax resident unless you do what they request.

What they're requesting is, apparently, do some work and file a tax return?

What I'm also curious about is, if I'm not "certified as a tax resident" - will some questions not arise when I file a tax return for DIRT payable on a Raisin deposit account?

What they're requesting is, apparently, do some work and file a tax return?

What I'm also curious about is, if I'm not "certified as a tax resident" - will some questions not arise when I file a tax return for DIRT payable on a Raisin deposit account?
I think you're overthinking this.

Your problem is with Raisin, not Revenue.

Revenue are not going to relax their protocols to suit you

I think you're overthinking this.

Your problem is with Raisin, not Revenue.

Revenue are not going to relax their protocols to suit you
It's called "attention to detail".

And establishing and verifying entirely why revenue aren't issuing a letter of tax residence, in light of so much conjecture up until now, isn't overthinking.

What's been put forth, but what I'm looking for ADDITIONAL confirmation of is quite simply:

Revenue need for me to get some kind of a job and file a tax return, to verify me as a tax resident;

Open to the floor: this is correct?

Can I file a tax return without having taxable income?

Does paying DIRT qualify as a tax return of some kind?

Revenue need for me to get some kind of a job and file a tax return, to verify me as a tax resident;

Open to the floor: this is correct?

Can I file a tax return without having taxable income?

Does paying DIRT qualify as a tax return of some kind?
I already suggested earlier that you try going into your Revenue myAccount (which you previously said that you had access to and showed tax credits) and see if you can record your deposit interest income for 2023 and any of the previous four tax years in which you had such income while resident in Ireland. I don't know if this will work or help but it seems worth trying to me.

Really?

This is the only way?

But if you've no Irish income then you're not liable to pay tax here, so what interest have you in a double tax agreement?

A simple solution is to select an account through Raisin that doesn't deduct tax in the source country - not all of them do (I have savings through Raisin and didn't have to get a tax residence certificate). Worth having a look until you are working and are sorted for tax in Ireland.

But you don't "pay" DIRT. It's deducted from your gross interest by your bank before you get it.
That's splitting hairs. You do "pay" DIRT. Even if, in many/most cases, it's deducted/remitted at source. You may as well say that you don't "pay" income tax because it's deducted/remitted via payroll. And even if DIRT is deducted/remitted at source you can (and maybe should?) declare it via a tax return. E.g. via one's online Revenue myAccount:

Screenshot_20230924-150013.png

Screenshot_20230924-150138.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back