Refused letter of tax residence as they have no record of my paying taxes. What do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokeBroker

I was trying to get a letter of tax residence to avail of the double tax agreement between Ireland and Latvia, therefore open a deposit interest account through Raisin.ie

However, contacting revenue they claim they have no record of my paying taxes.

See I have worked in Ireland, but only part time at a much younger age, and just recently returned from years overseas where I lived since graduating college.

What can I do in this situation?

and just recently returned from years overseas where I lived since graduating college.
Maybe you're simply not formally tax resident here (yet)?
You might want to post more specific details of your timeline here, abroad and back here again now for others to comment on this?
In the meantime this might help:

I was trying to get a letter of tax residence to avail of the double tax agreement between Ireland and Latvia, therefore open a deposit interest account through Raisin.ie

However, contacting revenue they claim they have no record of my paying taxes.

See I have worked in Ireland, but only part time at a much younger age, and just recently returned from years overseas where I lived since graduating college.

What can I do in this situation?
I agree with ClubMan. What jumps out at me is the fact that you probably aren’t Irish tax resident.

This might be relevant in this case.
Can you choose to be tax resident?

You might not be present in Ireland for the required number of days to be considered resident for tax purposes. You can choose to be tax resident in the tax year you arrive in Ireland. This is provided you:
  • arrive in Ireland with the intention of being resident in the following tax year
and
  • barring unforeseen circumstances, you will be resident in Ireland in the following tax year.
If you choose to be tax resident in Ireland, you will be taxed on your worldwide income. You can also claim full tax credits.

You must inform Revenue in writing if you choose to be tax resident in Ireland in a tax year.

Maybe you're simply not formally tax resident here (yet)?
You might want to post more specific details of your timeline here, abroad and back here again now for others to comment on this?
In the meantime this might help:

Lived/work/studied here until 2008.
Worked part time and I believe tax was deducted from wages, but I don't ever recall registering as a tax resident at that age.

Then lived overseas until 2022, returned here to further my studies, so yeah I didn't register for tax purposes as there's no steady income.

Does that mean I CAN'T register for tax purposes, given my situation, and am ineligible to get a letter of tax residence?

Does that mean I CAN'T register for tax purposes, given my situation, and am ineligible to get a letter of tax residence?
Didn't you read what I linked/posted here?

Just to update on this, I did contact the collector general section in Limerick, who said they don't handle this.

They put me through to PAYE services, who don't know what to do either, but they'll contact me in due course apparently.

The collector General division advised me to apply for "tax clearance", not really knowing if that would make me eligible for a letter of residence.

I also inquired the obvious question, "I need to write to revenue requesting tax residency", but they were unable to provide me with an address to which I should write.
Sent multiple inquires via revenue dot ie without responses.

But I should get a response later potentially with the guidelines.

I dropped a letter of request of tax residency to my local revenue office two weeks ago, but again without any kind of response.

Lived/work/studied here until 2008.
Worked part time and I believe tax was deducted from wages, but I don't ever recall registering as a tax resident at that age.
That's very vague. Did you have an Irish prsi number? A national insurance number? Did you receive a pay slip? When you finished your job did you receive any final document such as a P45 or P 60 (they might have different names now).

When you started work in Ireland did you receive a document from revenue with your tax free allowances?

Or were you paid cash?

since graduating college.

Perhaps the college where you studied may be able to give you a note of your PRSI number if you don't have same.

If you can get that sign up for a full www.mygovid.ie account and check both your revenue and social welfare details. If you have credits on your social welfare account then you must have paid tax in the past and your employer paid same for you.

If you read up on www.citizensinformation.ie you may be able to check into this situation further.

Perhaps the college where you studied may be able to give you a note of your PRSI number if you don't have same.

If you can get that sign up for a full www.mygovid.ie account and check both your revenue and social welfare details. If you have credits on your social welfare account then you must have paid tax in the past and your employer paid same for you.

If you read up on www.citizensinformation.ie you may be able to check into this situation further.

I have that account on mygov.

I have tax credits, yes.

But via inquiries they're telling me they have no record of work history.

That's very vague. Did you have an Irish prsi number? A national insurance number? Did you receive a pay slip? When you finished your job did you receive any final document such as a P45 or P 60 (they might have different names now).

When you started work in Ireland did you receive a document from revenue with your tax free allowances?

Or were you paid cash?

Is this a PPS number?

Yes I have that.

To be honest I worked part time in Ireland over many vacations. I didn't ever pay attention to tax.
I was always paid into my bank account.
Given that I worked for a city council among other employers, I assume all tax obligations were fulfilled?

Skipped the country in 2008 only recently returning for academic purposes.

Sorry yes it's the PPS. It is very odd that revenue has no record for you. Did you give them your PPS number? Did you never get a wage slip? you've a very lax attitude to tax, you might be due some back ! I'd be surprised if you were not on what was called 'emergency tax'.

Sorry yes it's the PPS. It is very odd that revenue has no record for you. Did you give them your PPS number? Did you never get a wage slip? you've a very lax attitude to tax, you might be due some back ! I'd be surprised if you were not on what was called 'emergency tax'.
Highly unlikely. Tax refunds can only be claimed within 4 years. He says he hasn't worked here since before 2008.

It doesn't sound like you're tax resident here.
Yes, that seems to be what revenue alluded to.

Is it possible to change that?

Advice here was "write to revenue", which I did via their inquiry section on the website - declined.

Did in writing - no response.

Is it possible to change that?

Meet the criteria here:

Residence for tax purposes
A tax year runs from 1 January to 31 December. You are resident for tax purposes for a year if: You spend 183 days or more in Ireland in that year or, If you spend 280 days or more in Ireland over a period of two consecutive tax years, you will be regarded as resident for the second tax year.

Meet the criteria here:

I do.

Revenue responded:

I refer to you request for a Letter of Tax Residence for the year 2023.

In the absence of filed tax returns and no employment record, I am unable to verify your tax residency and therefore I am not in a position to issue this statement.

?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back