Refunding Credit/Debit Cards

rpg

Hello,

I was overcharged €100 earlier today using my Laser card. I should have looked at the amount, I know, but I noticed it on the receipt afterwards and the person apologised and proceeded with a refund through the machine.

I have checked my balance and the correct amount + the €100 overcharge has been debited from my account. I am aware that credit card transactions can take between 5 and 30 working days for the refund to appear depending on the merchant.

Is the refund process the same with a debit card?

Thanks,
Richard

Used my Laser card at an hotel in Cork recently. On check-in they "pre-approved" €130. Following morning on departure I settled my bill for about €80 with my card. The €130 put on hold for the pre-approval took about three working days to re-appear on my online banking.

Thanks for the reply.

Whenever I use my Laser for a transaction I notice the funds are deducted instantly and my balance changes accordingly. I've often checked it online, even though the transaction takes a few days to appear, my balance is lower.

I presumed that a refund on a Laser, the funds are returned instantly, just like a sale. This mustn't be the case?

Nope. For a refund you don't get any funds until the merchant has been debited which is normally 2 days after the transaction is finalised.

Back