Recommendation Dinner City Centre

I also really like Il Baccaro - just across from Eden in Meeting House Square. Great atmosphere, good food and good value for money.

Also like Toscana at the top of Dame Street - tables are a bit squashed together but the atmosphere is really nice, big menu and good service...

M

L'Gueuleton on Fade Street (beside Hogans on the corner with Georges Street) is an excellent bistro-style eatery. Every dish is delicious. I dont think they take bookings, but you could always have a pint in Hogans while you wait,

here's a site you could try [broken link removed] has a comprehensive list of all eateries, menus, locations, prices etc....

Went to Saba (apologies for my original spelling) last Tuesday night - very nice - it was packed and that was for the early sitting. Only complaint was the noise levels!!

Ate at Saba tonight - it was really good, best Thai food I've had in Dublin! To give you an idea of prices, we had two starters, two main courses, a desert, glass of wine and three beers - bill came to 70 euro.

If you want a treat I can heartily recommend Jacobs Ladder - went there on Friday and had a fantastic meal - service and food were just top notch. Funny thing was the place wasn't packed out either. It's a tad expensive but definitely worth it for a treat.

Went to Chai Yo above Kielys in Donnybrook last night - was really impressed - tastier than Saba (must stop eating out!!)

A friend has been recommending Topolis in Parliament Street but I haven't tried it yet, has anyone been there and what is it like? Have driven past it several times at night and it always looks packed.

A friend has been recommending Topolis in Parliament Street but I haven't tried it yet, has anyone been there and what is it like?

Its a cheap and cheerful Italian. Ok food but poor enough service sometimes. Remember asking for the bill three or four times when I was there but then we were anxious to make the Olympia for a certain time so perhaps we were being a bit too impatient. We'd probably have been delighted to stay so long if not in a hurry.

Also like Toscana at the top of Dame Street - tables are a bit squashed together but the atmosphere is really nice, big menu and good service...

M

Ate in Toscana for first time last Friday, very pleased, great food - big plus is their earlybird menu, 4 courses for €22!!!! Definitely NOT a rip......:D Last orders for earlybird is 6.30 and they'll move you in time for the theatre if you need it.

Toscanas is good but not for groups of more than 5. Twice when booked they gave away the table. The first time they sat 7 of us on a tiny low down table for 5 and the other time they told us to come back in half an hour (which turned into an hour) but they did give us a bottle of wine.

Great responses to this thread guys, cheers !

I noticed this morning that Condotti is closed and I never got a chance to try it ! It is being replaced by a Yamamuri Sushi restaurant. Must develop my pallette a little so !

Milano on Dawson Street is back open today, YAY! Just had a refurb as far as I know.I always find the one in Templebar awful. Went there last Friday evening at 5.30 pm , looking for a table for two. Hostess eventually came to desk and pointed ( did not say anything) to a terrible table beside the door with no space around it at all . When we asked could we be seated somewhere else she just said 'no'. ! I then asked what about those tables free over there ? and she said 'reserved'. By boyfriend then said 'well could we be seated downstairs ?' her response was, yes you guessed it , 'no, closed'.

Needless to say, we left. I can appreciate the fact that it was Friday evening but her manner was awful . She actually spoke about 4 four words to us after a number of questions and looked at us pretty much like we were something gross on the bottom of her shoe !

Not my first bad experience on Milano Templebar, but I love their food and so I go to the Dawson St & Dundrum ones.

Toscanas is good but not for groups of more than 5. Twice when booked they gave away the table. The first time they sat 7 of us on a tiny low down table for 5 and the other time they told us to come back in half an hour (which turned into an hour) but they did give us a bottle of wine.

Hopefully they've sorted themselves out by now, Cahir. My visit last Friday to Toscana's was as one of a group of 10. The person who booked received daily phone calls last week asking to confirm numbers! We booked for 6pm, and there was no problem with our table - and it was made clear to us that we had to be gone by 8.30pm. They even obliged one of our group who arrived late due to traffic (6.45pm) by giving her the earlybird menu even though it had finished 15 mins before.

Anyone based in the city should pop into The bank on College green! Very smart spot, comfortable and the steak is a surprise by bar food standards

From the fussiest eater in Ireland - my bf would probably say the world - you have to try Toscana.

Its the best italian restaurant in dublin. Food is excellent, staff are brilliant and the price is great.

The only problem is it can be a little cramped - but the foods sooooo good that after your starter you wont care.

Was there on Sat night - we didnt book (have a baby and surprise visit from grandparents allowed us a couple of hours to ourselves). Rang them and they said they were fully booked - after explaining we dont get out much and that its my fav restaurant they said they would squeeze us in (which literally they did) as long as we finished by 9pm. Bottle of good wine, 2 starters, 2 mains, 1 dessert and one other funny drink thing came to €80.

Hmmmmm - maybe I shouldnt be encouraging others to go - next time they mighnt be able to squeeze us in!

Last edited by a moderator:
I eat out very frequently in Dublin, and by far the best restaurant I've eaten in (both price and food) is Gruel on Dame Street (across from Kingsland). It's a little bit pretentious, but it's great. Main course ~€13.

Try Sinners on Parliament Street. Really tasty Lebanese food and good choices for vegetarians.

Papaya (Thai) - Early bird is excellent value - €20, starter, main, desert and tea/coffee.
It is on Ely place just off stephens green.

Back