Recieved other person's bank details

kittycole

I got a letter from my motor insurance company today but to my suprise the envelope also contained another letter to a seperate customer which had their name, address and all their bank details on it.

When I rang the customer services desk they just said "we will send you a sae if you could send it back to us"...

Does this happen alot?

And what should I do - just send it back or is there somebody I can complain to that will care?

Any thoughts,
Kitty

I ordered a lodgement book online and received it together with someone else's cheque book. I returned it to the bank and I don't think they care and I would see no point complaining. In your case it was probably a long print run and the person putting the letters in an envelope made a mistake. It happens all the time.

It sounds like an isolated incident, so I would not get too excited about it.

The person on the other end, should have been trained to apologise and show real concern.

Brendan

The banks don’t care. We once receive a several page fax from one of the banks, full of personal and bank details. It include an automatic footer giving a phone number to contact and stating it would be collected if received by mistake. We rang the number, told them we had the fax and needless to say that was the last we heard from them.

I got someone elses bank statement along with my own from our foreign bank. When I contacted them I got a heartfelt apology and "sorry for any inconvenience" but they really didn't care. I detroyed it the same way I take care of my own personal details and thought no more about it.

Seems I was more concerned than they were.

A few years ago I ordered a cheque book and received one belonging to some one else. I did not check the name on it and was unwittingly writing cheques until the other person complained. apparently the bank did not check signatures under €1,000 it may be more now. We all make errors, even the banks. It always pays to double check statements etc.

How did they know you had the cheque book? It would worry me that a cheque book could be sentr to the wrong person.

I have got bank statements for someone else, a post office instalment savings cheque and share dividends.

I contacted BOI for a form to cash in part of my SSIA. I was sent a form with another lady's details. When I phoned the bank they just said it was a problem with their "batch run" and they would send me out another form. God knows where my details were sent. The bank weren't concerned and no apology or anything whereas I was quite concerned.

Heres an update. Received a call from manager of local-ish branch, approx 25miles away. He said there was a problem in the Dublin office. He didn't want it posted back so he drove out to collect it. Was very sorry and assured me this does not normally happen. Don't know what to think really.

To echo what Brendan says above - if, as it seems, it is an isolated incident then there's no real need to get too worked up about it. If it was me (and it was in the past with a stockbroker who sent me another person's trade receipts) then I would just return the material to the institution and, perhaps (although I didn't), inform the individual involved in case they want to take the matter up with the institution. Mistakes do happen and, as long as they are not evidence of any systemic process failures or anything else untoward, should be excused in my opinion.

Back