Rayburn-beware

Parnell

When we built our house 9 years ago we decided to install a Rayburn 480K oil boiler/cooker.

It heats all our rads and is a fantastic cooker-we've had a few minor problems but nothing to match their latest!

Our service man arrived to do as service, and as soon as he examined the boiler he said 'this looks bad - the boiler is leaking and it is a huge job to fix -t his is a fault with that particular model so much so that Rayburn has had so much bad press with the number of boilers leaking that they will replace the whole unit for about €3,000'.

Needless to say we were shocked. The unit cost IR£3,600 in 1996 and now 9.5 years later we have to spend another €3,000.

There was only a five year guarantee with the original-so we are goosed!

If there is anybody out there who has had a similar experience with your Rayburn I would be delighted to hear how you got on.

No,because the service person is the recommended man by Rayburn for our area. He commissioned the Rayburn for us in 1996 and has done all the servicing since. We will certainly look into his prognosis of the problem and will be in contact with Rayburn themselves.

Thanks for your reply.

Well, hey presto then, thats why he has told you you need a new one.

Same as when we were dealing with the British gas appointed engineer, every year he told us we needed a new boiler because he got commission if we bought a new one, and the engineers were encouraged to try and sell you a new boiler, when there was plenty of life left in the existing one.

There were so many complaints that British gas had to stop the hard sell.

I would get a second opinion.

Thread update Three Months Later:

We also have had a dreadful experience with our Rayburn 480K oil boiler/cooker.

In common with 'Parnell', after just nine and a half years, this £4K piece of 'quality' kit is only fit for the scrap heap. We have been told by the Aga-Rayburn engineer that the boiler is beyond repair. And this is despite annual servicing, careful use, and a series of expensive repairs over the years.

I would not expect the cheapest of boilers to last so little time, and am appalled that something which we regarded as an 'investment' now has to be replaced at a cost of several thousand pounds.

Like 'Parnell', our kitchen has been designed around the wretched thing, so we really have little option but to replace like with like.

I feel very angry that Aga Rayburn deliberately creates this illusion of quality and longevity and 'must have' image around what is basically an inferior product.

Interestingly, it appears that our particular model manufactured in 1996, was replaced after only 18 months or so of production.

I would be very interested to hear the outcome for 'Parnell' and also from anyone else with a similarly sorry story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put simply the outcome is that Rayburn proved difficult to deal with-very unwilling to accept responsibility for a shoddy product.

We have decided to get rid of the rayburn and replace it with a Rangemaster Elan dual fuel cooker (natural gas/electricity).

We are changing to gas fired heating-more economical and cleaner- our biggest problem now is trying to sell the Rayburn and have someone come and take it away.

Thread update Eight Months Later:

Hi Parnell,
Do you mind me asking how you disposed of your range. I've an old Wellstood ( still in working order) that I'm looking to get rid off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try putting it on www.jumbletown.ie? Everything on this site is free so if someone else wants it, it would save you disposing of it.

I would like to mention i have no association to jumbletown.ie

Bazman,
We sold it on to a company in the Cashel/Horse and Jockey area who re-enamel and do upold ranges. They were most obliging, came had a look, gave me what I asked for and took the cooker away- very professional job no mess getting it out the door etc.Look it up on GoldenPages I think it is something like 'H&R Enamling'
Kind Regards and good luck

Hi Parnell,

Did you get a second independent opinion last August? If so what did they say?

aj

No we did not, now using natural gas-very pleased-Rangemaster Cooker working really well-recently fitted a Rangemaster cooker Hood-purchased in Hardys of Kilkeel Co Down-much cheaper than the cheapest quote in the Republic

Back