Rant: Flat screen full HD Televisions..Obsolete!

OK, you really don’t get “technology” now do you? And you are being silly now.

Maybe the OP should put it back in its box and ask for a refund or get onto The Consumers' Association of Ireland and look for a refund. If he has a case then he will get a refund, right?

Let me know how you get on because I bought a PC from those shower in PC World 3 years ago with Windows XP on it and now Windows 7 is out and my computer is out of date…I am so angry

That’s the way with technology, it’s a moving target.

Your PC still works though.
As (or or least I assume) you know any TV without MPEG4 WONT!!
Unless we use it as a monitor as you suggest, or buy further hardware.
I don't understand what is your problem in agreeing that non compatible TVs should not have been sold in Ireland in the last few years?

As (or or least I assume) you know any TV without MPEG4 WONT!!

Yes it will. Have you not read earlier posts. It will work with an mpeg4 decoder, or a sat disk etc.etc.

But you are correct that it will not work with a technoloogy the was now available 2 years ago when the purchase was made.......

"The main thing is, if you are a SKY or UPC customer MPEG2 and MPEG4 won't make a difference -- your television will work -- so you have nothing at all to worry about,"

The above just adds to confusion.The Manager is just trying to justify MPEG2 set's still being sold. The newspaper article is sloppy to put it mildly.

Yes it will. Have you not read earlier posts. It will work with an mpeg4 decoder, or a sat disk etc.etc.

But you are correct that it will not work with a technoloogy the was now available 2 years ago when the purchase was made.......

No comment.
End of.

The manufacturers fitted digital tuners to the TVS, If I recall the Irish government were dragging their heal and could not decide what system to used for HDTV tuners. Just to complicate things further, they decided to use a different system to the UK,

The TV is not obsolete. Thats just hysteria.

You can't future proof technology. End of.

....Sony Bravia 40V4000 2 years ago only to find out today after reading this article that my 40"full HD flat screen will be obsolete in 2 years!!
I do not subscribe to SKY or UPC ...

I'm curious, since you bought a HD. What HD signal have you been watching for the last 2yrs?

There are some absolutely ridiculous posts in this thread.

First - The attitude regarding apportioning blame everywhere but with one's self (it can't be my fault as I didn't know... wasn't told... need my hand holding... them in Ivory Towers... blah blah blah)... is a massive contributory factor to the 'current climate' (and I ain't talking about the snow!)... But that's off topic.

There is not the issue with obsolete TVs that Knuttell and various others seem to be so apoplectic about.

You are saying that all TVs that could not receive the forthcoming digital signal should not have been sold as they will not be 'fit for purpose' (a phrase that seems to be thrown around a lot on these forums by those who want to sound like they 'know-the-law)... especially, it seems, to protect the elderly or average 'Joe Sixpack' that doesn't keep his head stuck in a techie magazine.

A noble standpoint, it may seem.

But let me flip the scenario for you....

"Minister bans sale of basic TV sets forcing pensioners and low income families to purchase expensive equipment, paying hundreds of Euros more than necessary when they can USE THEIR EXISTING TV SETS OR PURCHASE LOWER SPECIFICATION MODELS ALONG WITH A DECODER BOX FOR AROUND €60"

How outraged would you all be then...???

...because most of you sound like you enjoy being incensed and look for opportunities to indulge yourselves...!!!

Of course I am aware of the roll out of the roll out of digital television,that is not the point,the point is televisions were being sold and probably still are that cannot support the signal making them obsolete within years,are you seriously telling me that the majority of the people buying televisions were asking that question 2 to 3 years ago?

My point is quite simple,why are televisions that will not fit for purpose in a few years allowed to be sold in this country and please save the not researching the purchase properly nonsense,its a television for Gods sake you expect it to be able to receive RTE1 & RTE 2 at a minimum.

Indeed no one is really to blame for anything in this country,the massive financial meltdown in our Banks just happened on its own did it?silliest comment I have read in a long time.

I take three things from this post (i) you were aware of the roll out of digital tv, (ii) you did not research the purchase at all, and (iii) you now want to blame someone else for this.

But let me flip the scenario for you....

"Minister bans sale of basic TV sets forcing pensioners and low income families to purchase expensive equipment, paying hundreds of Euros more than necessary when they can USE THEIR EXISTING TV SETS OR PURCHASE LOWER SPECIFICATION MODELS ALONG WITH A DECODER BOX FOR AROUND €60"

Or another scenario, the day the Minister discusses the change of signal he asks what will the impact be and gives a direction that it will not happen for 10 years, that within 2 years no television can be sold without being able to comply with the new signal so traders can get rid of their stock and consumers can purchase happy in the knowedge that the TV they buy today will work tomorrow or for say a reasonable TV lifespan of 8 years.

Most 10yr old TVs will still work fine with a STB. So its a completely pointless argument. This really only effects people who currently only use the analogue terrestrial signal. I don't find it credible that people would spend hundreds if not thousands, to buy a 40" HD to watch that only.

gives a direction that it will not happen for 10 years

This is a European policy. We are been run by Europe these days or have you not noticed???

Taken from Saorview.ie

The EU has mandated the end of 2012 as the final date for Analogue Switch Off (ASO), by which time Ireland needs to launch a replacement digital transmission system to ensure all Irish audiences can continue to receive free-to-air television.

Feel to continue ranting and letting off steam in this thread.

I have cleaned up a copy and moved it to the TV section for considered discussion surrounding the technical issued raised.

Thus is the first I have read about this major development,
I bought a Sony Bravia 40V4000 2 years ago only to find out today after reading this article that my 40"full HD flat screen will be obsolete in 2 years!!
I do not subscribe to SKY or UPC so thanks to this massive oversight in communications/roll out,probably by some over paid civil servant,I will have to buy another television in 2 years time:mad:
Surely some Govt dept has responsibility for this incompetent carry on,it should not be down to a FG TD to highlight/flag this to consumers.
This country is so backward its utterly infuriating and highlights once again "why we are where we are"

Why did ou bother blowing all that money on a HD TV if you were just going to watch analogue broadcasts?

Well there is an element of incompetence behind this, but not that much. MPEG 2 compression is certainly the UK version and a large part of the world at the moment. Timing means that Ireland is launching its service at the advent of using MPEG 4, so the brightside is that this is actually the state showing some foresightand opting for the better version at the get-go.

However, the manufacturers and the retailers can't be blamed, MPEG 2 was the standard and with all the faffing around to start the process here, it was assumed/unsure as to what version it would be. It's not that long since it was formally declared to be MPEG 4, but by that time tvs had been made, ordered and sold.

You're going to need a set top box anyway to get even the basic channels. You won't have to subscribe to sky or upc, these will be a one off cost and you will be able to access the same channels and all other free to air channels available here. Not only that, but because it's MPEG 4, it'll be a better quality even for the standard definition digital television.

So really as others have said, there is an element of incompetence, but it means nothing as you always were going to have to get some form of set top box, it just means it'll have to be a newer, more uptodate and more future proof set top box than was originally thought.

I think this may have a knock on for Sky and UPC if you don't have HD STBs. May be wrong, but their standard digital is MPEG 2, they'll have to upgrade their boxes IIRC, but I assume they'll just want everyone to upgrade to HD boxes.

You're going to need a set top box anyway to get even the basic channels.

EDIT:

So really as others have said, there is an element of incompetence, but it means nothing as you always were going to have to get some form of set top box, .................

Simply NOT true, any TV with a digital tuner capable of receiving MPEG4 transmissions will get the basic channels even with a coat hanger as an aerial.

Back