Rant: Flat screen full HD Televisions..Obsolete!

Simply NOT true, any TV with a digital tuner capable of receiving MPEG4 transmissions will get the basic channels even with a coat hanger as an aerial.

Yup, I was acoounting for the "non-digital" ready, which at last count is still the majority, who would require some form of STB (as long as they have scart capabilities).

Anyway, it's still hardly "obsolete" and it's still hardly a scam. It's the most up-to-date compression and even now before the whole thing is even launched, basic MPEG 4 decoders are around €100 on piximania, or you can go up to €200 for a HD/recording combo. Some TV's also have a CI slot on the side, there are cards available with the mpeg 4 codecs etc.

The point is, you don't have to throw away your television.

And don't forget that if we went with Mpeg2, there'd be people moaning about why we didn't go with the best available tech at the time (Mpeg4) or why did we follow the Brits etc.

You can never please everyone.

Besides, OP, your TV may have blown up by then. Older CRT TVs are much hardier, and a Mpeg 4 STB will mean they enjoy the use of it for probably longer than someone buying a new HD/3D LCD/Plasma/LED TV with a built-in Mpeg4 tuner for many times the price.

I look back fondly on the days when we had three channels at best, no remote controls and you had to get up every fifteen minutes to give the box a good whack to stop it from flickering.
I bought a new 3D tv and blue ray player this weekend and boy my head hurts trying to decipher the mystery that is modern technology.

Thus is the first I have read about this major development,
I bought a Sony Bravia 40V4000 2 years ago only to find out today after reading this article that my 40"full HD flat screen will be obsolete in 2 years!!
I do not subscribe to SKY or UPC so thanks to this massive oversight in communications/roll out,probably by some over paid civil servant,I will have to buy another television in 2 years time:mad:
Surely some Govt dept has responsibility for this incompetent carry on,it should not be down to a FG TD to highlight/flag this to consumers.
This country is so backward its utterly infuriating and highlights once again "why we are where we are"

It was a gross incompetence by the Minister for Communications Eamon Ryan in delivering a system that is incompatible with Irelands nearest neighbour the UK.

Not unexpected I might based on their record in government

Don'y you have Freesat over there?

We have a Panasonic full HD tv with Freeview and Freesat built in as well as analogue which I bought about 18 months ago. Theanalogue channels will be extinct before too long but the other two are up to the minute.

It was a gross incompetence by the Minister for Communications Eamon Ryan in delivering a system that is incompatible with Irelands nearest neighbour the UK.

Not unexpected I might based on their record in government

So obviously you didn't bother reading the posts above whereby it was pointed out that (due to our late adoption) by going with Mpeg4 we are future proofing our digital system? You're seriously suggesting we adopt now an old system just because people like the OP are too lazy to do some proper research?

I also notice the OP hasn't bothered coming back to defend the indefensible!

I see that RTE Two are now broadcasting in 1080i full HD on free view. Must say the picture is amazing....

On my TV its on channel 2 and the non HD RTE 2 has moved to number 7.

Just press info on you remote and you will see 1080i HD on the top right of you screen

Back