Public sector worker retiring at Normal Retirement Age of 60

  • Thread starter Thread starter POC
  • Start date Start date
Is there any point in a pre-95 Class D PS employee claiming JB/JPRB and then credits if they retire aged 62 ?
Example
- Has 86 Class A stamps before joining PS
- Has 26 years at Class D pre-95, and will retire from this role at age 62.

They will not have full PS service of 40 years. Can they apply for any state pension at 66?
 
@redstar
They won't qualify for any jobseekers benefits payments at retirement date.

They need a minimum of 260 full rate contributions to qualify for COAP.

They should get 1 Class A contribution when they retire. This can assist for qualification for BP65 and also gains them change of status credits.

They should sign on for jobsskers credits up to age 65.

They should make AVCs to allow them to set up an ARF of at least 22k after taking any extra available tax free lump sum.

They should drawdown 5k per year from their ARF for 4 years and claim their COAP on their 66th birthday.

They need to carefully calculate that they have reached 260 combined class A and Class S contributions on their 66th birthday. If they are short of 260 they can defer their COAP for the number of weeks necessary to reach 260.

They should try to get 13 weeks of employment in any single year between their retiring date and their 65th birthday. This will qualify them for BP65.

 
Last edited:
Can a retiring PS just sign for credits without first claiming the Jobseeker's Benefit (or other SW Benefit)?
They must apply for a Jobseekers benefit. If they meet the Prsi rules to qualify for a payment, they are given the payment.

Basically they get whatever they are entitled to.

Last year a family member took up 26 weeks of employment after being absent from the Prsi system for approximately 10 years. Their aim was to get back into the Prsi system in order to qualify for credits. They were offered 39 weeks of minimum JPRB payments. They told the Intreo officer that they didn't want the payments and asked to just receive credits.

They were told that as they qualified for payments, the only option was to accept the payments in order to receive the credits.

In the case of pre 95 retirees, they don't meet the payments rules, but can quite easily meet the credits only rules.

When a retiree opts for supplementary pension, I think that this disqualifies them for any type of Jobseekers benefit payments.
If this is correct they could then immediately just sign on for credits.

If this is not correct, they could delay their Jobseekers claim by more than 6 weeks. This would prevent them from qualifying for JPRB payments. They could then apply and immediately qualify for credits only.
 
Last edited:
When a retiree opts for supplementary pension, I think that this disqualifies them for any type of Jobseekers benefit payments.
If this is correct they could then immediately just sign on for credits.

No, it is the opposite. An active Jobseeker's claim disqualifies the retiree from the Supplementary Pension (or at least up to the level of the Jobseekers Benefit being paid). A retiree is free to apply for Jobseekers if they meet the standard Social Welfare requirements but there is an obligation on them to inform their public service pension department if they are availing of the Supplementary.

I think this effectively precludes the retiree from just signing for credits. They need to go the JB route first.
 
I think this effectively precludes the retiree from just signing for credits. They need to go the JB route first.
If they need extra PRSI contributions they should be okay if they delay their PRJB claim. A delay of 7 weeks ensures that they no longer qualify for payments. They would still qualify for credits.

PRJB is the only benefit available to fully unemployed people, so they don't need to worry about JB.

JB only applies if they are still in part time employment. If they are part time employees after retirement they will get a class A contribution, so credits are not an issue.

While claiming supplementary pension they can be available for and seeking new employment, so they should be able to meet all the rules for claiming credits.
 
Last edited:
Could you clarify this when you get a chance. Thanks
A pre 95er will only have class B or D contributions in the Prsi qualification period before their retirement date. They don't meet the Jobseekers payment rules.

If they get 1 or more class A contributions they do meet the rules to sign on for credits only.

If they get 26 or more class A contributions after retirement from pre 95 employment they can then qualify for PRJB payments.
 
If they need extra PRSI contributions they should be okay if they delay their PRJB claim. A delay of 7 weeks ensures that they no longer qualify for payments. They would still qualify for credits.

That is an interesting possibility. It would be good to hear from anybody who has gone down this route.

But I wonder why anyone who needed the extra PRSI credits would do so rather than just claiming the Benefit? They still have to complete the claim form and they are likely to do better financially by actually availing of the PRJB.. The conditions regarding being available for and seeking employment are the same for both credits and the PRJB.
 
But I wonder why anyone who needed the extra PRSI credits would do so rather than just claiming the Benefit?
Yes. Some people don't like the idea of collecting their Jobseekers payments at their local post office.

I can never understand this. People collect pensions at the post office. Others in the queue are not necessarily aware what sort of payments you are collecting.
 
Hi. I having retired last November will be coming to the end of my JSPRB CLAIM. has anyone any experience of the transition from this to the the supp pension?
When can I send in the supo pension application? Do I have to wait till the JSB claim ends? Or can I send it in beforehand ?
Anything else I should be aware of?
I’ll still sign on for PRSI credits.as I haven’t the full 40,years
Thanks
 
I having retired last November will be coming to the end of my JSPRB CLAIM. has anyone any experience of the transition from this to the the supp pension?

Not directly applicable to yours as I retired at 59 and my claim had expired before eligibility for the Supplementary at 60. Also, it was before the 2024 Circular which laid out a specified procedure. But, anyway, in my case I applied to the pension office just coming up my birthday. I was subsequently asked to get a form completed in Intreo as to my status with them. It took several weeks before the Supplementary came into payment but it was backdated to my birthday.

Going by the 2024 Circular it doesn't seem that you can submit the application until the JB claim actually ends. What I would do is contact my Pension Office and get the application form and have it completed and ready to submit the day after the JB claim ends. You should in any event get a letter from Intreo specifying this date before the end of your claim and I would enclose a copy of this with the completed application form. Depending on your Pension Office it may be possible to run this by them by phone or email in advance.

I expect you will be asked to get something from Intreo/DSP - in my case it was a specific form to be completed.
 
I applied and got supplementary
I phoned retired pension office( the phone number is on your retirement documents) asked them to send application form for supplementary pension in post
on the first day after jobseekers benefit last payment I submitted form by post
they sent a letter via post to state how much I was getting
I got the payment on the last day of the month,which is the date that she pension is payed IE NO DELAY
there is a section on the form that asks are you getting social welfare payment, just state no, but I did put in a little side note that I drew it for the 9 months and now ceased
WORKED FINE FOR ME
 
I'm looking at MyWelfare.ie and I'm unsure how to answer one of the first questions! My contract isn't finished because I could have chosen to work for longer. My contract says I have a mandatory retirement age of 65 and may elect to retire at any stage between 60 and 65. I chose to retire at age 60.
Should I be saying 'My contract finished' or 'I left my job'?


1788259259707.webp
 
Just put that you retired. But if you want unemployment benefit say you want to continue to work. That you want to change direction as job too stressful physical or whatever.
 
Back
Top