Public sector worker retiring at Normal Retirement Age of 60

  • Thread starter Thread starter POC
  • Start date Start date

POC

Registered User
Messages
344
I'll be retiring in about 2 months time at age 60. I've been keeping an eye on relevant threads for years - but would appreciate any available up to date information based on recent experiences of other posters. Especially the experiences of anyone who retired at 60 from the public sector.

My main queries are about Social welfare, superannuation and withdrawals from an ARF. The superannuation officers at my workplace aren't very knowledgeable about social welfare / jobseekers / social welfare credits and age 65 payment. I'm being told some people apply for jobseekers, some don't as they apply for the supplemental payment straight away. Regarding the age 65 payment - I was told some people get it, some don't but not to worry about it as I'd continue to get a supplementary pension if I didn't get the age 65 payment..

My understanding is that I can apply for Jobseekers if I want to. If I don't get jobseekers I can apply for supplementary. If I do get jobseekers, I can apply for supplementary after it runs out. Jobseekers (and the age 65 payment) would be worth a lot more to me than supplementary. Have any of you recent experience of getting jobseekers at 60? If so, were you put under pressure to attend in person to collect payments or sign on or engage with job seeking? The thought of having to go through a charade of job hunting for 6 years is off putting.

Regarding credits - I understand that I can continue to get credits after jobseekers runs out. But if I don't get jobseekers does that mean I can't get credits for the 6 years either?

Have any of you got the age 65 payment after retiring at 60?

I have a modest AVC. After maximising my tax free lump sum, it's likely I'll take the 5k a year from an ARF up until age 66 - to get the S stamps as well as increasing my income. But would those S stamps disqualify me from getting supplementary? The Cornmarket rep says it wouldn't. Are any of you receiving supplementary as well as getting S stamps from an ARF?

I'm a bit torn between maximising income by applying for job seekers or not applying - to avoid the stress of applying and signing on and engaging with job seeking.

One way or the other, I want to make sure I get credits from age 60 to 66 to increase my COAP.

Thanks in advance for your replies!
 
I have a bit of both. I was Pre 95 for my first employment (approx 10 years), so will claim that pension separately. I'm Post 95 for my current employment (26 years but all of it was part-time).
I won't have enough stamps for the full COAP. But getting credits from age 60 to 66 will help a lot!
 
Regarding the age 65 payment - I was told some people get it, some don't but not to worry about it as I'd continue to get a supplementary pension if I didn't get the age 65 payment..
Anybody who applies on their 65th birthday and meets the Prsi rules, and are not engaged in employment will receive BP65.
While gaining class S from an ARF is considered as insurable self employment this does not prevent qualification for BP65.

My understanding is that I can apply for Jobseekers if I want to.
Yes you are entitled to apply for a Jobseekers payment immediately after your employment ceases. You will qualify for Jobseekers pay related benefit. Don't delay claiming, if you delay for more than 6 weeks you will run into problems with the Prsi rules.
If I don't get jobseekers I can apply for supplementary.
Yes.
I do get jobseekers, I can apply for supplementary after it runs out.
Yes
Jobseekers (and the age 65 payment) would be worth a lot more to me than supplementary. Have any of you recent experience of getting jobseekers at 60?
I applied for BP65 and received it. I retired at age 57.
I didn't qualify for Jobseekers benefit immediately after I retired because I was class D and did not meet the Prsi rules.

However I took up some class A employment after retirement and qualified for JB payments at age 63.
If so, were you put under pressure to attend in person to collect payments or sign on or engage with job seeking?
No I wasn't put under any pressure at age 57 when I began to sign on for credits. I continued signing on up to age 65. During this period I was never under pressure to seek employment.
Regarding credits - I understand that I can continue to get credits after jobseekers runs out.
Yes. You can continue to sign on up to age 66.
If you receive BP65 you will also get Jobseekers credits up to age 66 without the need to sign on for that year.
But if I don't get jobseekers does that mean I can't get credits for the 6 years either?
When you retire and apply, you will be offered whatever entitlement you qualify for. So if you qualify for JPRB you will receive the payments. There is not a choice to only apply for credits. If you did not qualify for JPRB you will be offered the choice to just sign on for credits.
Have any of you got the age 65 payment after retiring at 60?
Yes, but I was pre 95 so supplementary did not arise.
But would those S stamps disqualify me from getting supplementary? The Cornmarket rep says it wouldn't.
I have tried to get a definite answer to this question on AAM, but I never got actual proof. My gut feeling is that because insurable self employment from an ARF does not interfere with BP65, that it will not interfere with supplementary pension.

On the other hand if you are also recieving income in excess of 7.5 K per year from actual working self employment or rental or investment income you will not qualify for BP65.

I would assume that any of these self employments would also prevent you from qualifying for supplementary pension.
I'm a bit torn between maximising income by applying for job seekers or not applying - to avoid the stress of applying and signing on and engaging with job seeking.
Don't worry about this, you will not be pressured into applying for jobs and engaging in job seeking.
I have helped out other people in applying for JB and JPRB. None of these people have been pressured into seeking employment. The most recent case in 2025 involved a 59 year old applying for JPRB. Previously an under 30 year old applied for JB and was not pressured into seeking employment.
One way or the other, I want to make sure I get credits from age 60 to 66 to increase my COAP
Yes definitely aim to achieve this. You can sign on for credits alongside paying class S on your ARF. These credits are very valuable when applying for BP65.
 
Last edited:
Thanks a million for your detailed reply! That's reassuring to hear your experience with job seekers and the age 65 payment. I have some more questions if you don't mind (and I'll probably think of more later.....).
I think the job seekers application can be done online? Did you have to go to a post office to collect payments or did they go to your bank account? Did you have to go to an Intreo office to sign for credits? If so is it accepted that you're a retired public sector worker or they ask questions/ do you have to say that you're available for work? I've no plans to seek any type of work.
 
Did you have to go to a post office to collect payments or did they go to your bank account?
I was claiming JB. This no longer applies to a fully unemployed person. The rules for JB state that anyone over age 62 can opt for payment into their bank account.

In all cases regardless of age JPRB must be collected weekly from your local post office. This is the only benefit you will qualify for if you are fully unemployed.
I think the job seekers application can be done online?
Yes all types of Jobseekers payments are claimed online using Mywelfare. This is an easy process and the reply stating if you qualify is within a few days. When you are asked for the reason why you ceased employment, don't simply state that you retired.

Instead state something like your employment was to onerous or stressful or that you needed a change of career.
Did you have to go to an Intreo office to sign for credits?
Yes. When you apply and are awarded JPRB, your payments will be sent to your local post office within a few days. Your award letter will include an appointment to attend your local Intreo office after approximately 1 month.

At this meeting you will be asked if you are available for and seeking employment. Answer yes to both of these questions.

In my case I was asked to provide evidence of job seeking. I was asked to bring this to a follow up meeting a month later. I applied for a few jobs online and showed these to the Intreo officer. He barely looked at these and made no comment about them.

While I was asked for this evidence at age 57, any other people I have advised have not been asked to provide evidence of job seeking.

It is very unlikely that you will be asked for this so don't worry about it.

Once you are initially set up you are then sent a letter once a year in September and given a sign on date and time. This is an easy and unstressful process. There are a large number of credit signees booked in at the same time. The queue moves fast and it's unlikely that it would take more than 1 hour.

The letter will state a time period such as from 10.00 to 12.00.
I would advise arriving at 11.00. At this stage the queue has usually shortened.

In the queue will be mostly ex public sector employees like yourself and there is usually a bit of banter in the queue.

When you get to the sign on desk you are asked to sign on. There are no questions asked about if you are available for and seeking employment.

There will be a list of conditions posted on the wall, if you are asked if you meet these requirements, state yes.

If so is it accepted that you're a retired public sector worker or they ask questions/ do you have to say that you're available for work?
As above most people in the queue are ex public sector. You will not be the odd one out. You might meet some of your ex colleagues.

Definitely continue to sign on, you will take it in your stride.

If you qualify for BP65 you can opt for payment into your bank account. You are no longer required to be available for and seeking employment. You will get credits for the payments period without the need to sign on.
 
Last edited:
do you have to say that you're available for work?

I am receiving the State Pension now so my experience may be a bit out of date. But, yes, when you are completing the application form for Jobseekers you have to confirm that you are available for work and seeking work. I was called for interview (was standard at the time but may be different now?). I had to sign in Intreo monthly while claiming Jobseekers. This is a routine procedure but in the slip to sign you are confirming that your circumstances haven't changed. Payment was at the Post Office.

I experienced no activation or checking on my work seeking activity. However, I have heard of people who have been queried. Coming to the end of the Jobseekers claim you should receive correspondence that the claim is running out. It should also indicate that you have the option of continuing to sign for credits if your circumstances haven't changed. Signing is once every 12 months in Intreo.

Currently there is the option at retirement to apply directly for Supplementary or apply for JB. This wasn't so when I retired - it was required that retirees apply first for JB. I did not qualify for the Over-65 payment as I did not satisfy these PRSI eligibility conditions - but I continued to receive the Supplementary.
 
Thank you both. Hearing your first hand experience is very helpful.
It sounds like I've nothing to lose by applying for job seekers and it's not too inconvenient or stressful to go through the process. The Intreo queue almost sounds like fun!
 
Sign in as soon as you finish work. You can do it online. Make sure to say you are looking for full-time work. Also reason for leaving reached retirement age. I retired last May with pre pension and very small post pension so would not get supplementary. After your stamps run out you can continue to sign for credits.
 
  • Like
Reactions: POC
No I wasn't put under any pressure at age 57 when I began to sign on for credits. I continued signing on up to age 65. During this period I was never under pressure to seek employment.
Yes but i thought you said that you didn't qualify at 57 but had to get employment in order to build up the prsi credits until you qualified at age 63. Therefore why would they be pressuring you , you didn't qualify anyway until age 63? How could you sign on for credits before you qualified for jobseekers. Im just trying to understand myself?
 
I qualified to sign on for credits at age 57.
I had worked all my life in public sector class D.
I got 2 weeks of class A employment shortly after I ceased class D employment. These 2 class A Prsi contributions qualified me for credits only. I could not claim payments.

I was slightly pressured at age 57 dispite the fact that I was only claiming credits. Lots of my work colleagues also retired in their fifties. None of these were asked for evidence of seeking employment.

I think the Intreo officer was very thorough and ticked all possible boxes with my application. But he didn't question me when I showed him my online applications.

At age 63 I took up 6 months of class A employment. This and my credits qualified me for JB payments. This also qualified me for BP65.
 
I retired a couple of years at 60 and a couple of months. I did not claim social welfare as I found the travel restrictions too restrictive, rather I claimed the supplementary pension straight away. I had to sign a declaration saying I was not claiming any social welfare benefits. I had over 35 years service, how ever as only about 30 was earned, the other 5 was purchased, My supplementary pension was based on the 30 years. I do a small bit of work, interviews etc... a couple of days a month. I report a couple of times a year to my pensions officer and they adjust the suplementary pension and there is a small deduction for the days worked. You can't be self employed. But you can work part time. There is a circular on it, ill see can I find it. Found this, looks like some good info there. https://www.nsso.gov.ie/en/services/occupational-supplementary-pension-osp/

From the link above, this looks very similar to the form I filled. Note I am a co-ordinated A Stamp retiree who joined in 1999, but had previous service in the 80s that I purchased in about 2000. (ESB Apprenticeship and a few months post apprenticeship work with the ESB) https://assets.nsso.gov.ie/document...upplementary_Pension_Declaration_Form_OSP.pdf

This is the circular I relied on at the time and I was one of the first retirees in my organisation to avail of this. https://www.gov.ie/en/department-of...-for-occupational-supplementary-pensions-osp/
 
Last edited:
If you have good (earned) service, I think the suplementary pension is the way to go for convience. The payment is a line on the payslip and you do not have to collect the money in a post office as I think posters reported previously. Also you have the freedom to come and go as you please with international travel and it allows a certain amount of paid work as well. It might not be for everyone but it worked for me. I also felt it was a fudge to be looking for employment, but not having any intention of a full time position. The suplementary pension sits more comfortably with me. Also I probably won't quallify for the 65-66 payment as I wont have the stamps in the required year, so just spend the year on suplementary. An interesting thing I discovered is that I am still getting the dental benefit and If you quallify for it when you are sixty, I think you retain the benefit in the following years regardless of stamps.
 
Thanks DingDing.

Regarding international travel, I think I heard you can only be away for 2 weeks while claiming Job seekers. Does anyone know if that's right? And what happens in practice? Are you supposed to go to the same post office every week? What happens if you try to pick up payment later than scheduled?
 
@POC That was the big decider for me. And I think it is only a certain number of 2 weeks in the year. Being home every Friday to go to the post office was a big challenge. I was delighted to accept the suplementary pension without the condition to collect the money.

Also you are not trying to get work, having to prove efforts to get work, but this requirement from posts here tends to depend on how local offices approach it.
 
I completed the 9 months claiming Jobseekers benefit before going onto the supplementary pension You are allowed 2 weeks per calendar year so depending on when you first claim could have 2 holiday periods. I received 3 weeks money upon my return at my nominated Post Office. You can inform them of any intended breaks online via MyWelfare.

I now only sign once a year in September at my local Intreo office for annual credits and catch up with other retired public/civil servants.
 
Following this with interest. Am I right in saying that any type of job seekers will be means tested (bar the first 9 months 'on the stamps') but the supplementary pension is not means tested. . If for anyone that has accumulated some savings throughout their working life and pension lump sum in retirement would it not make more sense to go the supplmentary pension route and not be means tested. Will the means testing not out weight any gains on the credits. Just trying to understand in case I am missing something. Thanks.
 
Its not about means testing , the Post 95 group are entitled to pro rata the same income from the state as if they were Pre 95 , the Supplementary Pension gets you to that level , the saving for the State is that you cannot exceed that income from the state when you hit Old Age pension time.
In the past the rules allowed a fast accrual person to do 30 years and get a pension but also enough time to get the 520 stamps needed for sull old age pension . That's now gone . As is the Supplementary pension for post 2013 staff.
 
Following this with interest.

There are a couple of reasons for considering the Jobseekers route.

The Jobseekers Benefit is not means tested. It depends on individual circumstances but it may amount to a higher payment over the 9 months of the claim that the retiree would receive from their Supplementary.

But, more importantly, it also comes with credited SW contributions. And the retiree can remain signing on for those when the JB claim finishes after 9 months. This is very valuable for people who are short of a full contribution history for the State Pension.

When the JB finishes after 9 months the retiree can at that point claim their Supplementary Pension, so they are not missing out financially.
The means tested Jobseekers Allowance is not relevant for PS retirees - or for most of them at any rate.
 
Circular 12/2024 clarified a lot of the issues around this. You no longer have to claim Job seekers benefit nor any other social welfare benefit in order to get the supplementary pension. Just sign and submit an declaration that you're not claiming any of those benefits when applying. Is it worth bothering worth job-seekers? Can you keep signing for PRSI stamps until 66 regardless?
 
Back
Top