Public sector pay rise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I submitted an application to the Passport Office in January and still await a passport renewal for my daughter. The application process in my instance has failed. I’m also not a clown. (Way to go with the overly general criticism and simplistic narrative there @Itchy!)

I won’t rehearse my issues here, but do feel free to cast your eye over this thread which identifies my ongoing issues, all of which speak to productivity and efficiency:

Anyways, I don’t have the inclination to be dealing with endless tit-for-tat exchanges with a person who labels paying passport customers as clowns, so the very best of luck to you.

That’s ok. For clarity, i wasn’t calling you a clown. To clarify, from the point of view of assessing civil service productivity, more than 50% of applications require additional attention that is unforecastable by the office. This is due to errors made by applicants not due to PS procedures. Of course they can predict it to a certain degree but not with certainty. These errors are magnified given the unprecedented volume of applications arising from Brexit.

In the thread you cited, you state that you have received your own passport card in 48 hours! Yet the service is condemned for inefficiency/low productivity?

You also highlighted the problem of the photograph being accepted on the website and rejected by staff when reviewed. The application process has not failed. The AI reduces the instances of inappropriate photographs being submitted improving the efficiency of the overall service. Of course there will be false positives and you were unlucky.

It’s frustrating for you personally, but to me that’s a sign of the system working. The integrity of the system is far more important than speed for the individual. Suppose the photograph gets through the system automatically, would it not be more frustrating being denied entry to a country when the passport is rejected due to an inappropriate photograph?

Bad luck for you this time but you’ve highlighted (to me anyway) the quality of the service. Meeting agreed timelines in your own case and safeguarding the integrity of the system by not just blindly nodding through AI approved imagery.

Most people work in small organisations. This is particularly the case in the private sector. Many large organisations in the private sector in this country are med-tech and fin-tech Multinationals. These are the very best organised large companies in the world.

Most people only experience interacting with large organisations which are State sector. They then think that the issue is that they are state sector bodies, not that they are large organisations but Banks and utility companies are just as likely to be rubbish as any government body we interact with.

My Revolute Card has been suspended for 7 months. I can't get anyone there to tell me why or how it can be resolved. We all have bad experiences of trying to contact phone or broadband providers.
The problem is that the services the State provides are more important. The gross inefficiency in Eir is frustrating. The gross inefficiency in the Health Service kills people.

Should Public Servants get pay rises? Probably, but their employer is still borrowing money to fund day to day expenditure so caution is required.
Should those pay rises match inflation? That's a daft idea.
It should also be noted that "Increments" are pay rises.

They are not pay rises. They are part of the inherent structure of the PS pay system.
Absolutely the same incremental system system applied in the Banks and various other private sector businesses and were seen as rewards for loyalty and increasing experience and were never seen as part of pay rise negotiations.
Neither employers nor employees representatives ever considered such increments when it came to pay negotiations , thankfully this practice still continues.

Last edited:
Absolutely the same incremental system system applied in the Banks and various other private sector businesses and were seen as rewards for loyalty and increasing experience and were never seen as part of pay rise negotiations.
Neither employers nor employees representatives ever considered such increments when it came to pay negotiations , thankfully this practice still continues.

Done away with in the vast majority of private sector companies nowadays. At the end of the day, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and talks like a duck.........

Done away with in the vast majority of private sector companies nowadays. At the end of the day, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and talks like a duck.........
Then it's a duck not a pay rise !
Increments still abound in the private sector , no bad thing.

Then it's a duck not a pay rise !
Increments still abound in the private sector , no bad thing.
Not in sectors open to real competition, just in the protected sector.
An increase in pay is a pay rise, arguing otherwise is ridiculous.
An increase in the overall pay scale is also a pay rise. If you get a promotion and a corresponding increase in pay that’s also a pay rise… or when you tell someone about a promotion and they ask you if you got a pay rise to go with it would you say no, your pay increased but it wasn’t a pay rise?

Only in the mad alternative world of trade union land would that make sense.

Not in sectors open to real competition, just in the protected sector.
An increase in pay is a pay rise, arguing otherwise is ridiculous.
An increase in the overall pay scale is also a pay rise. If you get a promotion and a corresponding increase in pay that’s also a pay rise… or when you tell someone about a promotion and they ask you if you got a pay rise to go with it would you say no, your pay increased but it wasn’t a pay rise?

Only in the mad alternative world of trade union land would that make sense.
Very few in the public service have had any pay rise in a long long time. They have had massive pay cuts reversed, they're not pay rises.

Very few in the public service have had any pay rise in a long long time. They have had massive pay cuts reversed, they're not pay rises.
Also however, not one employee in the public service suffered a pay cut during the pandemic and various lockdowns when thousands of employees (and employers) in the private sector, particularly hospitality, saw their incomes reduced and turnover decimated.

They got small pay cuts. Those cuts have been reversed but they have continued to get other pay rides in the form of increments.
I’m not saying that public servants are over paid, in fact the numbers suggest that at the higher end they are under paid. I do think that structural inefficiencies in the broader state sector need to be addressed, as do work practices in some areas.

Also however, not one employee in the public service suffered a pay cut during the pandemic and various lockdowns when thousands of employees (and employers) in the private sector, particularly hospitality, saw their incomes reduced and turnover decimated.
Ah they did. They worked more hours and were hit with a pension levy. That’s a lower hourly rate and increased deductions. That’s a pay cut.

Ah they did. They worked more hours and were hit with a pension levy. That’s a lower hourly rate and increased deductions. That’s a pay cut.
During the pandemic??

The pensions levy (and additional hours) came in years before the pandemic, unless there was another levy or working hour increase of which I’m unaware?

I’m fairly sure the state working-from-home policy did not result in increased working hours.

They got small pay cuts
The pay cuts were not small and included a very large decrease in take home pay with the introduction of the ASC (additional superannuation contribution) which is an extra tax imposed on public servants only. It might be justified for pre 95 entrants but those on the single scheme post 2013 have vastly inferior pensions. Many also risked their health and that of their families working in crowded environments before vaccinations during the pandemic.

I came in to PS in 2012 on €89k p a. & it was reduced to 84k overnight in 2013. I was on a 3 year ftc contract there at the time so it wasnt like I had a job for life. That was the reality. Brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back