PTSB ending fee waivers on legacy current accounts - 47,000 affected

"PTSB CurrentAccount4" and still no letter - not that I want one. I closed a BOI Current Account a few years ago and moved to PTSB to avoid fees.

Letter and App says PTSB Current account 3

Possibly not very helpful

Loyalty is not favoured by anyone :-(

Loyalty is not favoured by anyone :-(

Of course, if you take your accounts away, then PTSB could say the exact same thing about you! :p

I'm still awaiting my letter - but perhaps I'm not going to be charged fees as I'm over 65.

Just got the dreaded letter this morning and not very clear at all regarding if I want to switch to an Explore Account.
On the back off the letter it says - "Conversion to an Explore Current Account can be completed at any Permanent TSB branch."

But in the last paragraph it says - "To avail of any of the above options you will need to make an appointment at your local Permanent TSB branch, there are 98 branches nationwide."

So which is it? Can I just drop in to my local branch unannounced or do I have to make an appointment. Does anybody know?

Just got the dreaded letter this morning and not very clear at all regarding if I want to switch to an Explore Account.
On the back off the letter it says - "Conversion to an Explore Current Account can be completed at any Permanent TSB branch."

But in the last paragraph it says - "To avail of any of the above options you will need to make an appointment at your local Permanent TSB branch, there are 98 branches nationwide."

So which is it? Can I just drop in to my local branch unannounced or do I have to make an appointment. Does anybody know?

Hardly that confusing. Make an appointment to make life easier for yourself.

All for giving out but seriously.......

The letter is not clear - that's indisputable.
No it's not.
"Conversion to an Explore Current Account can be completed at any Permanent TSB branch."

"To avail of any of the above options you will need to make an appointment at your local Permanent TSB branch, there are 98 branches nationwide."
You can do it at any branch.
You make an appointment.
Nothing confusing or contradictory there.

I disagree - 'can be completed at any Permanent TSB branch' - this suggests you can just walk in.

"To avail of any of the above options you will need to make an appointment at your local Permanent TSB branch, there are 98 branches nationwide." - oh no you can't walk in - you have to make an appointment.

I disagree - 'can be completed at any Permanent TSB branch' - this suggests you can just walk in.

"To avail of any of the above options you will need to make an appointment at your local Permanent TSB branch, there are 98 branches nationwide." - oh no you can't walk in - you have to make an appointment.
Just a suggestion.
Stop digging.

Got the letter also today. On the bright side, the letter says that there is no charge to close the account which I guess is something positive at least. Time to move to EBS.

3. Closing your Current Account
We do not wish to lose you as our customer, but if you are not happy with the change outlined above you have the right to notify the bank you do not accept the change and close your account before 1st October 2023. Please be aware that if you choose to close your account, all parties on the account must provide authorization to close. You must repay any outstanding charges due on the account including any interest due, up to the date of repayment in line with your Terms and Conditions. You will not be charged an account closure fee. You also have an option to switch providers. If you'd like to switch providers please contact your new bank who can arrange to switch your account from Permanent TSB.

We made an appointment online to attend at our local branch to switch to the Explore account (joint). Took about 15mins to switch. No issues with it afterwards.
Our 5% cashback 'reward' for our Sky direct debit should almost cover the monthly fee.

At the end, she says 'By the way, would you like make an appointment to speak to a Irish Life financial advisor?'. :rolleyes: We said no thanks.

Last edited:
Got the letter also today. On the bright side, the letter says that there is no charge to close the account which I guess is something positive at least. Time to move to EBS.
You will be charged 18 Euro, they just don't call it an account closure fee.

Got the letter today for 'Current Account 4'. Its effective from 1st October. I will probably move across to the 'Explore Current Account'

Back