Proper fines for people not paying their tolls

It's that sort of nonsense that has facilitated so many dishonest people to date .... can't pay means that to pay would result in the person not having enough money for basic food, light, heat and shelter for themselves or their immediate dependents. Anything more than that, is an optional luxury and does not prohibit ability to pay so it then becomes won't pay.

Well I am sorry you think I am talking nonsense. I think you are indulging in wishful thinking.

It would be great to be able to neatly separate those who "can't pay" from those who "wont pay". In reality that isn't possible. Instead of two groups there is a continuous spectrum.

Just from your points above, what is basic shelter. Should a family give up a luxurious home, to move to basic shelter. Who would provide that basic shelter, it might well cost more. Who are immediate dependants, adult children, adult children with special needs. What about transport costs, would the family have to stay all day within walking distance of their basic shelter. What if the live in the country.

These are not trivial questions, they are practical impossibilities to dividing "can't pay" from "wont pay"

Toll is overcharged fines for not paying by 8pm following day a joke. Automating got rid of their staff and put more onous on driver prices should have come down !! Good luck to them

Except none of this is about road safety nor about public disorder nor drunkenness.
Do read back please before you drag this off topic.

They all relate to using fines as a means of enforcing legal obligations.

If the tolling system is over complicated, simplify it.

But eventually, it will all comes back to this... either you're willing to jail people who do not pay the fines levied on them, or you are not.
You could give them community service. But what if they don't turn up? What if they turn up and act the maggot?
At some point, the ultimate sanction of imprisonment has to be on the table.

If the tolling system is over complicated, simplify it.

I'd abolish tolls and stick a few cent extra on the diesel. That would cost me in net terms but tolling systems are expensive to administer and incentivise users onto slower and more dangerous side roads.

At some point, the ultimate sanction of imprisonment has to be on the table.
The jails are already overflowing. As with the TV licence, another reason for getting rid of tolls.

Well I am sorry you think I am talking nonsense. I think you are indulging in wishful thinking. ....

I meant nonsense in terms of permitting endless "negotiation" on simple English, it wasn't intended to be personal and sorry if it came across that way.

Yes, to an extent it is wishful thinking - thinking that we might actually stop flapping about and start being a bit more decisive in this country, to put things right.

How about the Insolvency Service's [broken link removed], would you see that as answering the questions you raise, to give a divide between can't pay and won't pay ?

The M50 toll system is grand for the 95% of us who are fortunate enough to to have basic self-organisational skills, not so good for those who lack them.

While I consider myself one of the 95% I think it's the craziest system ever to have all these mad signs on the M50 telling the foreigners there is a toll up ahead, and they should stop and take down the website address to pay the toll online.

:rolleyes: What documents do you have to bring with you to an NCT centre before they'll test your car?

Does the reminder (is there a reminder in Ireland) not list the documents you should bring? I get a post card in the post a month before I do my one here and its got a list of the documents (5) and a list of thing to have done (9).

Does the reminder (is there a reminder in Ireland) not list the documents you should bring?

They recommend you bring the VLC, but will only ask for it if there is an issue with the Vehicle Identification Number stamped on the chassis and the one on record. The only document actually required is a proof of identity (driving licence) of whoever is presenting the car for test. And remember, this does not have to be the registered owner.

Does the reminder (is there a reminder in Ireland) not list the documents you should bring? I get a post card in the post a month before I do my one here and its got a list of the documents (5) and a list of thing to have done (9).
Yes, but you can read.

Back