Problems with Rathwood Garden Furniture and firewood

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClubMan

Registered User
Messages
59,436
I have moved these from another thread to highlight the issue - Brendan


Any use - from last year...
Rathwood seem to be selling off their stock cheaply at the moment - some highlights as of 06/03

440kg pallet of birch logs for 149
625kg pallet for 229
https://www.rathwood.com/cp/hardwood_firewood_bags_1_5m_520kg_40_x_40l_13kg_bags_pallet_delivery/15082 (Hardwood Firewood Bags 1.5m³/520kg (40 x 40L/13kg Bags)) 229
390kg in bags for 189
https://www.rathwood.com/cp/300kg_kiln_dried_hardwood_3_trolley_bags_with_3_bags_of_kindling/15090 (3x 100kg trolley bags & 3 bags of kindling for) 139

Some people find their logs a bit skinny but worth worth a look if you plan on stocking up.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Early February this year I got a great deal on fuel from Rathwood for delivery 2 weeks later. Once I paid, the delivery date kept getting pushed back so eventually I cancelled.

Cancelling was not easy, waiting on hold for up to an hour or more, the promised refund would not arrive so back to long waits on hold waiting to speak to an agent. The refund eventually arrived late March.

Looking at Trustpilot, nothing has changed since, in fact they have got worse;
https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/www.rathwood.com
 
Run a mile from Rathwood. Took my order, took my money, failed to deliver. Your advance order is used as cash flow by Rathwood.
Rathwood never deliver fuel orders and make you wait months and beg for your money to be returned. Dreadful company to deal with,
avoid at all costs.
 
Oh, up until this year I've always ordered wood from Rathwood. I'm generally not in a rush so order with a delivery date far out & they give a discount for that. It has always been delivered in or around that date. It was good value. Will have to think twice this year after reading all the above, or maybe place a small order & see. Right now I see they don't actually have any wood until November!
 
Yes run a mile. I ordered and paid for garden furniture in early April to be delivered in two weeks. The delivery date kept being pushed out. In July canceled and requested a refund. I then spent two months emailing and phoning them for my money back. Eventually I approached my bank PTSB they reversed my original payment.
 
+1 on the Rathwood disaster. I’m getting my next batch directly from Larry Byrne timber in Glenealy Co Wicklow. 60 euro for 0.5 cubic meter crate (smaller than a ton bag)

Now it’s seasoned rather than kiln dried and I’m collecting it but il give it a go
 
Any use - from last year...
Really avoid Rathwood, their main supplier in the north is in administration and they've had major supply issues mainly impacting summer stock and fuel in particular. My last order went in as a wait-and-save on 29th January for 18th March dispatch and for the next 5 months they kicked the date forward by a month every single month. I gave up waiting in July and asked for a refund. I never got that refund. I ask again every week to be given the same sorry excuse. I am involved with the CCPC now in trying to get my money back. Thankfully it is not a lot but I would urge anybody tempted to NOT order from Rathwood - I'm hearing already of people taken in by their adverts promising fuel delivery in 4 weeks only to get an email 2 or 3 weeks later saying its delayed till next month and on and on it goes.
Sorry to say this but Rathwood has gone from being a really good cheap seller to a company that needs a consumer health warning. I had good experience of them in the past on price but sorry to say now I cannot recommend this company and would strong advise anybody against ordering anything from them.

There's quite a good few alternative suppliers unfortunately at much higher prices - Boyles Solid Fuels, Monaghans, Kildare Logs (Dublin Logs), The Log Shed, Celtic Logs - all of these you'll at least get your order, unlike Rathwood which seems to be in serious trouble.
 
Why them and not the Small Claims Court?
Because its for 133 euros and the fee for the SCC is 25 euro, plus I'd have to turn up at the court if they don't agree to the claim. I may yet do so if the CCPC delivers nothing.
 
Anyway - update, I phoned Rathwood finally and got my money back after nearly an hour waiting on the phone.

Check online if you want to buy bulk but this time of year a lot of the discounts are often in local delivery only retailers.
 
Anyway - update, I phoned Rathwood finally and got my money back after nearly an hour waiting on the phone.

Can I ask how long you were waiting for a refund? I called up this morning & cancelled a €130 wood order, again being pushed back for delivery due to no stock. They said they'd refund no problem. And confirmation email hit my account right away, but just wondering on the actual refund now. Got through on the phone first thing at 10am after about 15 minutes. Again, they used to be very good but will not use them again now unfortunately.
 
And confirmation email hit my account right away, but just wondering on the actual refund now.
Same with me in terms of immediate confirmation email but it took a couple of phone calls and messages via their customer portal to eventually get the refund a month later.

I threatened the small claims court and while I don’t know whether this was the clincher, I got confirmation of the refund shortly thereafter.

Notification of the messages via the customer portal come from a UK telephone number so it might suggest the use of a third party accounts company which no doubt adds to the complexity of the process.
 
Same with me in terms of immediate confirmation email but it took a couple of phone calls and messages via their customer portal to eventually get the refund a month later.

I threatened the small claims court and while I don’t know whether this was the clincher, I got confirmation of the refund shortly thereafter.

Notification of the messages via the customer portal come from a UK telephone number so it might suggest the use of a third party accounts company which no doubt adds to the complexity of the process.
Thanks, just what I was looking for. I thought it was too easy just getting through & getting the confirmation email. I'll wait for a week, try again, and go bank chargeback route otherwise. I'm just over 40 days from original purchase with them.
 
Can I ask how long you were waiting for a refund?
3 months, and I only got it because I phoned up and sat on the line for nearly an hour til someone answered it. But I am happy to have gotten my money back and will steer well clear of them in future.
Since then, its been a mix of Boyles, Dublin Logs, and Lidl/B&Q when they have decent logs in at cheap prices.
 
It takes the banks time to process these transactions. While the originating account will be debited straight away it can take a day or more for the credit to appear in the destination account.
That wasn't the problem, their online customer service simply wasn't transferring on the refund to accounts, it took a phone call to get it there. They literally did it in hours and I had my money back on my credit card the following day.

Anyway, there's a handful of discounts out there right now:
1. Dublin Logs (and their local only mother store Kildare Logs) are offering discounts on a 2nd bag or crate for next few days
2. Boyles in Kilternan have some discounts but by far their best deals are if you can call instore - eg 80 euro for 11x good sized bags plus free kindling, 4x 5x30cm round pressed logs for 24
3. Eddies Solid Fuels in Baldoyle - 16% off if you buy more than a certain number of loose 10kg bags, they also stock olive
4. Jones Garden Centre in Donabate good for small batches if you are too far away from Kilternan in Dublin - they do 5x decent sized Birch bags for 40 euro, or 30 euro for 5x RUF logs for 30
5. Tom Phibbs in Wicklow has an online deal offering free delivery for Halloween on their website
6. Lidl seem to be stocking Surefire premium bags - don't know if they are same size as Surefire's own offering but they are only 5.99 and kiln dried. If your local Lidl doesn't leave if its firewood outside in the rain this is a good option
7. B&Q has some modest discounts at the moment on its offerings but unless its the plastic bagged variety, they are notorious for leaving their logs out in the rain to get destroyed, so check what your local branch does (I'm specifically referring to Swords Airside). They do have some stuff indoors and the Willow Warm broken briquette bags are a good deal at the moment at 2x bags for 20 euro
8. Woodies seem to be reselling deliveries identical to Staffords so assume Staffords is the delivery here - Coal (Magiflame) 20kg x15, WillowWarm willow Briquettes x20 Kiln Dried Kindling x5 for 399. Staffords themselves have a few deals - eg 349 for 1.2m crate which they say is 400kg, plus 2x bags each of willow warm briquettes plus 2x kindling
9. Ecofuel have mixed bundles but for what you get not great value.

Local suppliers are often the best but obvious vary as to quality - the heavier the logs, the more dense they tend to be and the longer they burn.
Oak seems to be in short supply right now, along with ash. Obviously storage is key so avoid anybody who isn't properly protecting their logs from the elements.
Either way, don't be tempted by what looks like a "great bargain" from Rathwood - everyone who has ordered from them since end of January has not had their order delivered and appears to be just having their order kicked back 4 weeks every month and sometimes more - hearing stories right now of people who were already delayed for months having their orders kicked back to December and January.
 

The difficulties being experienced by customers of Rathwood Garden Furniture have been continuing in recent weeks despite the hope expressed by the owners during the summer that the business was getting on top of problems that have dogged it since the beginning of the year.

But while the stories we are going to document on this page are an accurate reflection of the experiences of many of its customers since the start of the year, the company is still hopeful things are getting better.

And it has suggested that with a little time and a little patience a brighter future lies ahead for our readers, for other customers and for its staff and the community where it is based. And while we have no insight on that score we’d have to hope it is the case.
 
They are still taking full payment for goods and not delivering. There are many who have paid for their winter fuel and are not getting it and might not be able to buy elsewhere as they cannot get a refund from Rathwood. This has been going on since at least the start of this year and nothing has changed. It is inexcusable to knowingly treat their customers like this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top