Problem with neighbour

Maybe if they started throwing punches at eachother?

On second thoughts, not such a good sugestion.....

Not in a parking issue on private property - no.

I would have thought that the issue where someone blocks someone else in is obstructing someone else's property (car), being a nuisance etc. as opposed to a disagreement over who parks in what space?

I would have thought that the issue where someone blocks someone else in is obstructing someone else's property (car), being a nuisance etc. as opposed to a disagreement over who parks in what space?
Still would not have thought that the Gardaí would deal with this unless it lead to some clear cut crime being committed (e.g. assault as mentioned above!).

Still would not have thought that the Gardaí would deal with this unless it lead to some clear cut crime being committed (e.g. assault as mentioned above!).

If it was continually happening, how would it be resolved?

Some flexibility is needed and none seems to be evident on either side from the original poster's comments to date.

if the management company are going to ignore it, maybe a flyer in everyones door to try get some neighbourhood meeting together to try address the problem?

The householders are (in most cases) the management company so it is within the gift of individual housholders to be proactive about if they see fit.

The problem really relates to the rules and planning practices of the developers - 1.5 spaces per household etc as opposed to having designated spaces and some overflow.
This system is what we use in my estate and whilst not perfect (people can still park in your designated space) there is generally enough room for it not to come to blows.

The neighbour in question bought her house knowing the rules so I just wouldn't be arsed listening to her myself. Naturally neighbourly relations comes into play so seeking common ground on this one more time would seem to be the best way forward...but ultimately you just cannot deal with some people. And so in some cases you just shouldn't. Don't be bullied. If she blocks you in again call the management company and make an official complaint about her. Keep making those complaints everytime she steps way over the line and eventually they'll have a word with her.

If she blocks you in again call the management company
Do you mean the mangement agent here? After all most management companies do not have offices/staff of their own and delegate day to day stuff to an agent.

The neighbour in question bought her house knowing the rules so I just wouldn't be arsed listening to her myself. Naturally neighbourly relations comes into play so seeking common ground on this one more time would seem to be the best way forward...but ultimately you just cannot deal with some people.
If someone kept parking outside your house and you didn't park outside theirs would you feel the same way?

Do you have a parking space outside your home? If so why is this not kept free, if not then personally i wouldnt park outside someones elses house regardless of the management rules.
If you had a space outside your house and she had none and parked in the spot outside your house, then regardless of the rules i would imagine you wouldnt be happy.

Could you park on the road in front of the space? Then you are near you house and not in the space. At least when moving stuff in and out of the car. You couldn't be blocked in then either.

My husband then parked there again a couple of days later and she double parked behind him, blocking us in....

Whats the legality of blocking someone in?

Do you have a parking space outside your home? If so why is this not kept free, if not then personally i wouldnt park outside someones elses house regardless of the management rules.
If you had a space outside your house and she had none and parked in the spot outside your house, then regardless of the rules i would imagine you wouldnt be happy.
From the original poster's first few posts I assumed that they were a two car household and one of them parked outside their own home and the other outside this woman's. But it's not 100% clear that this is the case. Either way there seem to be other spare spaces most of the time so I cannot see why the original poster or her husband cannot simply use one of them and avoid the hassle.

If someone kept parking outside your house and you didn't park outside theirs would you feel the same way?

I'm not totally heartless :)

But I think we're missing the point with all of this 'space outside the house' malarky.
When you buy a house with driveway that's your parking space. No one else can park on your driveway.
When you buy an apartment or duplex with a designated driving space it will be clearly marked as such (number 44 etc) and that's your space and yours alone.
When you buy somewhere that clearly doesn't have a designated space then the fact that there happens to be a space outside your house doesn't mean diddly squat.

Of course...the residents sitting down and coming to a friendly agreement on spaces is the best way forward. From the sounds of things though this woman isn't for turning.

If the OP could answer the two car question and whether the space outside their house is already occupied with their own other vehicle then we might come to some better conclusions in terms of what's fair - not legal but fair - in this instance.

She basically being a bully trying to dicate her own rules in opposition to the communal policy in place. But you have to decide if the hassle of fighting is worth it. If theres always free spaces and none of them are any significant distance away, then I would say its not worth it. What goes around comes around.

Fair enough but given the choice between the relatively minor hassle of the kids getting a bit wet and the potentially major hassle of spending time and energy battling with a neighbour I know which one I'd choose.

Have to agree with this......sometimes its just not worth the hassle. Sometimes these things snowball and you could be faced with a long drawn out 'battle' with your neighbour.

Although she has no 'legal' right to the space outside her door, if you have 2 cars and one is already parked outside your own house then I think its not too much to ask to park in a space slightly further away.
How would you feel if the shoe was on the other foot. If she had two cars and parked the first outside her house and the second outside yours ?

I suppose it depends on how big the development is.
Where my brother lives its a small development and everyone parks outside their own house with second car houses parking in the overflow spaces. This is more difficult if its a very large development as you don't know who's in your spot.

If the OP has two cars and her husband parks outside their house then when she brings the kids home why doesn't he park down the road and leave the spot free for her?
If they do in fact have two cars then while the neighbour is wrong from a legal standpoint I think it is the OP who is being unreasonable. Why does she think it's OK to have two spots outside her door and the neighbour to have none?

Back