Problem with neighbour

L

Livvy

Hi,

Sorry if this is not the appropriate thread but I'm looking for advice regarding a neighbour. We live in a relatively small estate which has communal parking for houses, duplexes, apartments. No car spaces are allocated to any house. Its basically first come, first served. A couple of months ago, a new neighbour moved in. The hubbie parked in the space outside her house a couple of weeks ago, which he was entitled to do and she accosted him the next evening, asking why he had parked there and that this space was 'reserved' for her. I then parked there a few days later and got a note left on my windscreen telling me to remove my vehicle. I called into her house that evening to tell her that I am entitled to park there (just like other people park outside my house) and she closed the door in my face.
My husband then parked there again a couple of days later and she double parked behind him, blocking us in.

What should we do? Should I go to the management company and complain? Would they be able to do anything about it? Or do we have to just put up with this behaviour and hope she lets up.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. next time we move house, a driveway is critical.

livvy

communal parking what a nightmare! has to be the worse invention ever! really feel your pain we used to live on a terraced street and it was a nightmare for parking like you our new house fits 3 in the drive and 2 outside! its a gift especially for visitors. I don't think legally there is anything to stop you parking outside her house but it sounds pretty stressful especially if she is being so akward!

I called into her house that evening to tell her that I am entitled to park there (just like other people park outside my house) and she closed the door in my face.
Copy/print off the relevant extract from the management company lease/rules and drop it into her.
What should we do? Should I go to the management company and complain? Would they be able to do anything about it? Or do we have to just put up with this behaviour and hope she lets up.
Does the management company/agent have any policy on controlling parking - e.g. limits on the number of cars per houshold, clamping/towing if cars are illegally parked etc.?

No clubman, originally when we bought the house, we were told 1.5 spaces per house, but they don't monitor it and I have never seen anyone clamped. There are always free spaces and no-one will have that far to walk to their own house but she just insists that the one outside her door, is hers.
When I called to her door, she asked me why I had not gone to the end of the road were there were free spaces. I have two small children, so I'm going to try and park as near to my house as possible if I can.

I will try and dig out the management comp. rules.

tks for the advice.

1.5 spaces per house
Eh!?! :confused:
There are always free spaces and no-one will have that far to walk to their own house but she just insists that the one outside her door, is hers.
So why not just park in one of the spare spaces not outside her house and avoid the conflict?

If I was in your position and there were free spaces down the road I would avoid parking outside my neighbours house.

If I was in your position and there were free spaces down the road I would avoid parking outside my neighbours house.

If I were you I'd buy myself an old banger for a few hundred euro and park it in the spot outside her house...and then just leave it there permanently :D

But that's just me...

So why not just park in one of the spare spaces not outside her house and avoid the conflict?

I have 2 small kids - if its lashing down with rain, why should I park further away just because the neighbour wants it left free for herself ????

If I were you I'd buy myself an old banger for a few hundred euro and park it in the spot outside her house...and then just leave it there permanently :D

Thanks gabriel - very tempting :)

livvy if you can put up with the hassle just go for the battle with her park there if you need to and put up with the moaning! hopefully she might tire of battling against it is there a different neighbours house you could park outside if you need too? still i blame the builders and this 1.5 lark per house! especially when most commuter famililes have 2 cars.

I have 2 small kids - if its lashing down with rain, why should I park further away just because the neighbour wants it left free for herself ????
Fair enough but given the choice between the relatively minor hassle of the kids getting a bit wet and the potentially major hassle of spending time and energy battling with a neighbour I know which one I'd choose.

My advice would be to try and de-escalate the situation as mush as possible: the last thing you want is ongoing conflict with a neighbour, no matter how much you think you're in the right.

Try going round again and explaining the situation: from the way you phrased your account of your first encounter, it sounds like your tone may have got her back up. Explain the situation as calmly as possible, that there are no assigned places, you'll try and avoind parking in front of her house as mush as possible, but if it's raining and you're with the kids etc. etc.

Might involve a lot of restraint, but it's preferable to starting WW III.

How many cars do you have? How many cars does she have?
I too live in an estate with blocks of 8 and 8 un-allocated spaces outside each block. Our lease agreement entitles us to 1 space per apartment or duplex (there is visitors parking slightly further away).
What annoys me in my situation is when 2 car dinkies use 2 spaces and I can't then park near my door. I don't mind it being first come first served between 8 cars, a level playing pitch - my problem is having to walk (in the rain with shopping etc, do I leave my car unlocked or my front door unlocked while I make my multiple trips etc ???) due to someone breaking the rules. Managing agents not very interested as they say it's difficult to police and I know some of our board members (residents) have 2 cars so they won't want to do much either.
Anyway point being - if it's your 2nd car I can understand her upset, if she has a 2nd car she hasn't a leg to stand on.

Managing agents not very interested as they say it's difficult to police
Whatever about policing abuse of the system issuing some sort of permit (one per houshold) would at least allow abuse to be identified?
Anyway point being - if it's your 2nd car I can understand her upset, if she has a 2nd car she hasn't a leg to stand on.
According to the original poster the original rules stated that each houshold could park 1.5 cars!

According to the original poster the original rules stated that each houshold could park 1.5 cars!

No, the OP said "we were told 1.5 spaces per house", which is not quite the same thing. I assume it means if there are for example 20 houses, there are 30 spaces, providing an average of 1.5 cars/house.

I can understand her frustration - there is a general rule of thumb that you try park at your space - ie the one outside your house even though legally they are all communal - It is an invasion on her privacy also if you persist in parking in the spot outside her house - I think you need to be more courteous.

No, the OP said "we were told 1.5 spaces per house", which is not quite the same thing. I assume it means if there are for example 20 houses, there are 30 spaces, providing an average of 1.5 cars/house.
Good point! :D

I live in an estate with non designated parking with a space directly outside my living room window and it is a huge invasion of privacy when a stranger parks there - however my neighbours have been very considerate of this and they leave it free for me , any one who has parked there , once we explain the problem - does the same. There is a huge problems generally within the estate over parking - several people have practically come to blows. I cant understand how planning permission is granted in the age of 2 car households, which due to the lack of public transport to many of the newer areas, is a necessity. I would echo a previous poster ..my next move will be to a house with a drive !

My husband then parked there again a couple of days later and she double parked behind him, blocking us in.

Would the Gardai take any interest in this sort of scenario?

But, if your neighbour had 2 cars and parked one outside their house and one outside yours, forcing you to park further away, how would you feel?

(From what you have said, I take it that is what is happening here, i.e. you are parking one of your cars outside your house and one outside your neighbour's house, leaving them with no space in front of their house)

Back