Pro active ideas to stop this virus

I know of one person who rang their GP on Saturday and was put on a list for a test at that time - they are still waiting for their test to take place, never mind get the results! If the backlog as of last Saturday was so big then I would fear for anyone who rings their GP now. Maybe the new kits due to arrive today might speed things up a bit or maybe it is just an urban/rural divide as I see Ciara Kelly rang her GP on Saturday as well and she was tested on Sunday and had her results on Tuesday!
It would be interesting to see what the waiting time is around the country right now.

Wear disposable nitrile gloves at times. I've seen some of the cashiers in a local supermarket doing this. Makes sense to me anyway.
Someone also optioned that cash is dirty stuff. It gets around. Not sure if the alternatives are better, cards, phones etc.

My neighbour and i both agreed that this only makes sense if you change them every time you touch something. If you wear them and then touch something and then touch your face, germs will spread. You would literally have to change them everytime you touch something foreign.

Why not just stop touching your face? Or wear a simple mask?

The new litter I discovered this morning walking down town consists of disposable nitrile gloves dumped on the streets outside shops. As soon as anyone mentions disposable in this country that seems to imply dump it on the street or motorway whether it's bottles or cans of pee or gloves from delivery drivers, shoppers, shop assistants going off duty. It seems even in a potentially deadly medical emergency we can't keep our rubbish to ourselves. "I'm all right Jack, to hell with you."

Irish times on about waiting up to1 week for results where the hell are 4 hour kits ? Also I was just up and saw one elderly woman recieve her order from chemist through 3 inch gap in passenger window then to my dismay 6 lads 18 to 20 came out of shop and got into small car. How can we try lock down teenagers now the most cant be thrusted and they are hard too manage .I don't even think their parents would mind .

The government should have and still should fill some of these gaps in staff .We are on a war footing and this is Irish tax paying company it's all hands to pump Irish needs have to be prioritised.

Schools should be set up as pods for contact tracing ,plenty room in hall areas and local knowledge of areas and people living there and already on government roster.

Many teachers are still engaging with their classes remotely.
They are fully paid and should be used as a resource they could keep remote work
from school base and also be ready for case sourcing .if not possible forget the schooling untill next sept I'm sure Italians are not to worried about schooling

They are fully paid and should be used as a resource they could keep remote work
from school base and also be ready for case sourcing

Not really clear what you're trying to say there... Are you suggesting they should stop their teaching activities? Why are teachers suitable for contact tracing with no access to the systems in use? Sure the Dublin Fire Brigade are all trained paramedics, let's get them to do it and I'll pretend to be a fireman...

In other news many people with the appropriate training/ experience have volunteered via the HSE channels, most have been put in a holding pattern as they are not needed yet.

Scottish finance secretary, Kate Forbes, called on the UK government to scrap tax and excise duties on alcohol that is being used to make hand sanitiser.

Yep, of course 100% of the credit here goes to you, nothing to do with unprecedented demand over the last 2-3 months :rolleyes:

So it would appear. https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0321/1124510-coronavirus-projections/

To quote from the report "He [Simple Simon} also said his officials will meet with representatives from the pharmaceuticals and medical devices industries on Monday [23rd March 2020] in a bid to ensure we can "maximise the access we have to medical devices in the coming weeks and months", the meeting taking place weeks if not months after the warning signs were posted.

Last edited:
EmmDee said:
And does anyone on this board know that there has been no discussion with them?
From today's RTE news report linked to above "He [Simple Simon] also said his officials will meet with representatives from the pharmaceuticals and medical devices industries on Monday [23rd March 2020] in a bid to ensure we can "maximise the access we have to medical devices in the coming weeks and months".

EmmDee said:
I said the only way the Government could achieve the two questions you posed was by taking over the management of the company. There is no official way of skipping the queue. Assuming the company isn't already working flat out (your assumption) there is no way of forcing them to. So you posed questions but didn't propose a methodology - or show some specific knowledge.
Wrong again of course. To negotiate, you sit down as described in the RTE news report and negotiate. Again for the record, these notions of skipping queues and forcing businesses to do anything are purely products of your mind and were never proposed by me.

I must again point out that I made no assumptions, unlike you and other posters; I simply asked two questions which have now been answered in the news report.

Last edited:
Where the hell are the 4 hour testing kits looking at Borris stupidity the English system is already creaking .We should be announcing full quarantine for anyone of our nationals coming home and closing borders to English.Test test test contact trace and isolate.They are already short ventilators and medical shields and scrubs and gloves and masks with doctors and nurses now possibly cross contaminating over this.We need to learn quick

Out walking yesterday, this guy in front of me turns his head and spits on the ground. I don't think I got the spray but who knows.

Also joggers, running along pedestrian footpaths, spitting as they go. Not all.

Joggers need to keep to a designated space.

To quote from the report "He [Simple Simon} also said his officials will meet with representatives from the pharmaceuticals and medical devices industries on Monday [23rd March 2020] in a bid to ensure we can "maximise the access we have to medical devices in the coming weeks and months", the meeting taking place weeks if not months after the warning signs were posted.

I must have missed the piece where he gave you credit there :rolleyes:.

Back