Pro active ideas to stop this virus

seamus m

I am opening a new thread in the hope that someone here can come up with proactive ideas to stop the spread of virus . I read one time a few years ago of a woman who was going to spend the next year of her life living in a 15 mile radius of her home in that all her clothes would be bought all her food all her activities etc .She lived in country hence the distance. My thoughts are if everyone could use all this extra time more wisely to 1 plan their day around trying to staying as close to their home as possible.ie make a list of closest services ,shops, chemist and doctors and try and use only them .Simple things like where possible I compromise ie if local supervalue don't have chicken I take mince not drive somewhere else for chicken.if queues to long in petrol station I don't tear somewhere else to next one etc etc .I find the nearest park for a walk if that's what I want to do ,not the most scenic one.Then at end of day I take 5 minutes and keep diary of what I done today and who I met..
I believe this will help us localise the virus when found and also minimize risk to others.I am on my third day of this and so far haven't been any further than 3 miles from my house also in countryish .

I can't understand why barbers and hairdressers are still open. Surely there is a bigger risk of someone catching it whilst getting your hair cut (and touched quite often) then standing a meter away from a person in the Dunnes till queue

Grafton Barbers have closed, I see some local hairdressers closed but there's been no general closure as far as I am aware.

As I live in an area which has a notified group warning, I am trying to avoid the very local shops... maybe that's paranoia :(

I am trying to do one main shop a week, trying to avoid the busiest supermarkets \ busiest timeslots.
I am wiping down the trolley before use, at least the spots that I handle.

I tried to do this yesterday and I got looks from a lot of people that suggested, to me, that I was stock-piling...

Wow... and then the thing it many ppl are now working from home, need more groceries than normal - more coffee, tea, milk, soap, toilet roll, lunches; whereas before we'd be in office weekdays.

Alot I hear on English news is about ventilators and having them made. I don't see much on Irish news .Are parts made in Ireland ? I'm sure there there are companies in Ireland that can put their hand to this . Are we trying to get more and what chance have we

Wear disposable nitrile gloves at times. I've seen some of the cashiers in a local supermarket doing this. Makes sense to me anyway.
Someone also optioned that cash is dirty stuff. It gets around. Not sure if the alternatives are better, cards, phones etc.

Wear disposable nitrile gloves at times. I've seen some of the cashiers in a local supermarket doing this. Makes sense to me anyway.
Someone also optioned that cash is dirty stuff. It gets around. Not sure if the alternatives are better, cards, phones etc.

Tapping with contactless card would be best although you can only do so for amounts under €30 I think, and after X transactions you have to enter PIN.
If paying for petrol try to have exact cash amount or tap.

Everything entering your home is potentially contaminated. Washing your hands after shopping isn't enough if you then handle contaminated products you've purchased. Consider removing external packages or wiping things down as you unpack.

Alot I hear on English news is about ventilators and having them made. I don't see much on Irish news .Are parts made in Ireland ? I'm sure there there are companies in Ireland that can put their hand to this . Are we trying to get more and what chance have we
What I saw was typical showboating on the telly by the politician. It's the same kind of tripe talk used at Brexit time only this is really serious.

Wow - Is that true? What is the company name?

Edit - with link to IDA website
From IDA website

"As the second largest exporter of MedTech products in Europe, Ireland supplies 95 of the world’s top 100 countries (ranked by GDP). Over 25% of the world’s population that have diabetes rely on injection devices made in Ireland. An impressive 50% of ventilators in acute hospitals worldwide are manufactured in Ireland. While 33% of the global supply of contact lenses are made here. "

It is true. As you have since discovered by research.

We’ve got a leg up!:cool:

But, we need people who know how to use them. Training of relevant personnel is an imperative.

Marion

As I live in an area which has a notified group warning, I am trying to avoid the very local shops... maybe that's paranoia :(

I am trying to do one main shop a week, trying to avoid the busiest supermarkets \ busiest timeslots.
I am wiping down the trolley before use, at least the spots that I handle.
What’s a notified group warning and where are they posted up

Singapore seems to have a lot of blow sprayers and machinery to fumigate everything with what I dont know but I don't see any here yet .O
I presume this is also something we should be at

Back