Private Sale

L

Lemurz

A house has just gone on sale in an estate I'm very interested in moving to. I can't be bothered dealing with the estate agent as I can't stand their mind games and their sky high fees.

Is there anything to stop me approaching the owner and trying to agree a private sale?

Does an agent agent have any legal recourse if we agree a private sale without their involvement?

Thanks,

Lem

Estate agents can ask the seller to sign a contract that says they get paid regardless of how it's sold. Ouch!

I signed up with an Esate Agent but sold the house privately. I paid him €300-odd for his time (6 viewings x €50).

No harm in asking the seller to go private - the seller pays the estate agent afterall.

Hi Lem - How did you hear about the house being up for sale?

A neighbour advised me about two weeks ago, that the house was being sold.

Since the weekend an auctioneer's sign has appeared in the garden.

Just agree with the vendor that they want to take the house off the market with the estate agent, and then agree a price.

The vendor shouldn't have any liability to the estate agent for a private sale, as such clauses aren't all that common anymore, but they will need to check that for themselves.

If I were a vendor, I'd be delighted not to have to pay estate agent's fees !

Lemurz,

Good answer!

Looks like the vendor would be able to dismiss the agent with no liability and a clean conscience and deal with you privately.

Back