Private Sale

L

Lemurz

A house has just gone on sale in an estate I'm very interested in moving to. I can't be bothered dealing with the estate agent as I can't stand their mind games and their sky high fees.

Is there anything to stop me approaching the owner and trying to agree a private sale?

Does an agent agent have any legal recourse if we agree a private sale without their involvement?

Thanks,

Lem

S

sluice44

Estate agents can ask the seller to sign a contract that says they get paid regardless of how it's sold. Ouch!

I signed up with an Esate Agent but sold the house privately. I paid him €300-odd for his time (6 viewings x €50).

No harm in asking the seller to go private - the seller pays the estate agent afterall.

R

rainyday

Hi Lem - How did you hear about the house being up for sale?

L

Lemurz

A neighbour advised me about two weeks ago, that the house was being sold.

Since the weekend an auctioneer's sign has appeared in the garden.

N

N0elC

Just agree with the vendor that they want to take the house off the market with the estate agent, and then agree a price.

The vendor shouldn't have any liability to the estate agent for a private sale, as such clauses aren't all that common anymore, but they will need to check that for themselves.

If I were a vendor, I'd be delighted not to have to pay estate agent's fees !

O

oysterman

Lemurz,

Good answer!

Looks like the vendor would be able to dismiss the agent with no liability and a clean conscience and deal with you privately.