price for a carpentry job

briancbyrne

hi - currently doing a self build and just got a quote for a carpentry job of 5,500 - job entails hanging doors, putting down skirting and architrave and also laying some solid wood floors. They said it would take 2 of them 2 weeks.
At this thats four man weeks at a cost of just under 1400 per week cash in hand. Am I wrong or does this not seem very expensive?? the quote was from the otherhalfs bro in law and I want to do my homework before I tell him where to get off !

Last work I got done via direct labour I agreed a flat rate of €150 per man per day and it worked out fine. Had plumber, chippy and sparks on the same deal...
I did manage the build so I was able to make sure they weren't taking an age to do it.

One sparks refused to work on that basis so I just got another. Might be worth a shot?

PADDYBOY99, how do you calculate that when the house size hasn't been specified?

Last edited by a moderator:
get a solicitor or an accountant to do the job for you. oh sorry they cant!, you get what you pay for. the bro in law has seen, and priced the job, we, and by that i also mean the other posters as well, have'nt, so therefore cant give an accurate price. as for agreeing a price per day how long is a piece of string

surely pricing it per day is the best way to compare with other jobs?
my spartks & plumbers wouldnt be on close to that and wouldnt they traditionally (from my time working on sites) be paid at a higher rate than chippy's ?

surely pricing it per day is the best way to compare with other jobs?
Was for me, all I really wanted was to be able to get a real picture of my final costs.

my spartks & plumbers wouldnt be on close to that and wouldnt they traditionally (from my time working on sites) be paid at a higher rate than chippy's ?
To be fair to them all they came in, worked their backsides off and all got paid the same. I'm not from the construction world so all seemed fair to me!

Last edited:
It's generally recommended you don't use the flat rate per day method. This gives the tradesman no incentive to get on with the job.

There are many threads on here with the price per door for hanging doors and the price per square metre for laying floors. Use these to calculate what you should be looking at given the number of doors and the floor area you have.
Leo

As this is a 'cash in hand' job as you say, they are ripping you off in a big way.
As none of this will contribute to our economic revovery in either vat or paye/prsi i would recommend you offer them half that amount considering you have bought all the materials

It's generally recommended you don't use the flat rate per day method. This gives the tradesman no incentive to get on with the job.

There are many threads on here with the price per door for hanging doors and the price per square metre for laying floors. Use these to calculate what you should be looking at given the number of doors and the floor area you have.
Leo

as per my original post - I initially got a quote for the entire job however found the quote way over the top. I broke it down myself to a day rate based on the time that was estimated by the guy in question to complete. I did this for ease of comparrison.

All in all I'm fairly satisfied his quote was way over the top.

you still dont give any size of the house or whats involved, so i dont know how any advice on the quote here can be of any help to you.
but i do agree with Leo dont go down the price per day route.
really only your gut can tell you

It's not really necessary to know exactly what's involved in order to comment.

The capenters themselves have said 5,500, for two weeks work for two men, which works out at 1,375 per week, cash in hand. That's just under 35 Euro per hour, cash...

I'd say that seems quite good for the carpenters involved... wouldn't other people agree?

Ok, so maybe the carpenters underestimated the time that would be taken.. but that doesn't seem likely.. as to do that gives the customer the impression that they're on huge wages, of 1,375 cash per week in this case. It's more likely they'd overestimate the time, in my opinion.

Even if they underestimated the time taken by 50% it'd still be only six man weeks, so 5,500 works out at more than 900 per week, cash.

I think it sounds expensive based on those figures given, and doesn't seem competative at all.

By the way, wouldn't the OPs other halfs, brother in law, be the OPs own brother?

I.E the OP is a man, his wife's brother in law must be his own brother... or am I missing something? (maybe it's one of the wife's sisters or brothers, brother in law?)

hey brian,listen mate unless your house is over 4000sqft has has more than 20 doors and 150 meters of flooring and the lads are not supplying anything then its quiet expensive,thats about the price that should be paid inc vat,when getting an invoice,get someone else too price the job,some times the lads you know will be the most expensive.on the other hand there is nothing worse than badly laid floors or skirting and arhitraves,well maybe a bad paint job.get recomendations from fellow lads in construction,by far the best way too get anything done.

way over priced.
also ask yourself this - are you getting paid 1400 euro a week cash in hand?

way over priced.
also ask yourself this - are you getting paid 1400 euro a week cash in hand?
this is what always amazes me about this site, nobody ever seems to question the bills of any professional, ie doctor solicitor, accountant etc but everybody seems to be an expert on pricing in the construction industry, amazing..................

That's not true... I've seen criticism of prices for architects, solicitors, doctors, dentists, accountants, mechanics, builders, carpenters, plumbers etc etc.. even graphic designers, in the Logo Wanted thread, where some people were making a case for a minimum 500 Euro charge for a logo.

Overall it seems there are examples of overcharging in all sectors, .. and fair pricing too of course.

In this case I think the price could be reduced by 30% to 50%, based simply on the weekly rate, for cash.

Back