Presidential Election

But when you say one sided, have you ever heard Higgins protest against the actions of Clinton or the visit of Obama for example? Where was his anti US feeling or protests back in May? In fact, where was the anti-US brigade during that visit?

On Arafat & Ortega, I admit that I do not know enough about them to discuss that point.

He protested against Reagan.

So, from an American point of view (which people in Ireland may not agree with):

- Michael D was opposed to getting rid of the communist dictators in Eastern Europe and beyond.
- Michael D recently opposed US foreign policy in Iraq which removed Saddam, turned Iraq into a democracy (has had 2 general elections to date) and the consequetial toppling of dictators in Tunisa, Egypt and Libya.

From their point of view, Micheal D is a big supporter of tyranical despots.

As an aside, can I just say that I thought Pat kenny was brilliant last night. Have been a big critic in the past but he really is made for something like that.

As for the international view of our President, I dont really care. Voting for David Norris would offend the arab world, large parts of the US and indeed many people in Europe. Not a reason not to vote for him. Same with higgins despite his dubious past. Personally, have not got a clue who to vote for.

That is why I hope that Gallagher wins. He is at least being positive.
Positive about his Fianna Fail deep roots? Or positive about his cash collection skills for party donations?

are you is PR agent Purple? :D Personally any doubts I had about SG were confirmed last night - I think he's a lightweight bluffer (admittedly a good one!).
You got it.

So there was obvious communication before the event between SG and Mr Morgan. Was the cheque presented to SG before the event as oppposed to after the event by Mr Morgan - the photograph to be delivered after the event.

The statement doesn't clarify how the cheque came into the possession of FF on the 26 only that they received one from Mr Morgan. Was it personally delivered by Mr Morgan? Was it sent by post? Or was it hand delivered by SG or by AN Other?

After a fundraiser, SG travels to the man's home to deliver a photograph.

Seems bizarre!

Marion

Mr Morgan has said that Gallagher visited him twice, once before to collect the cheque and once after to drop off the photo. That makes sense.

Gallagher's account still doesn't make sense - he says he might have collected an envelope when he dropped off he photo after the event?

Having no idea who to put first on the ballot paper, this campaign has been about who to put last. I started off with Dana, but she has moved up as the others have moved down.

Higgins will probably get it, but the thought of 7 yrs of lectures from the Aras makes me groan.

are you is PR agent Purple? :D
Nope, I just saw it and thought it would add to the discussion. It’s strange that his statement was at odds with the FF statement. I’m not a FF member, supporter or voter and haven’t been since the day Bertie took over.

Personally any doubts I had about SG were confirmed last night - I think he's a lightweight bluffer (admittedly a good one!).
I agree. He’s shown remarkable naivety over the last 24 hours. He should have said “I don’t know, I’ll get back to you” if he didn’t know or, since he knew that this issue was coming up, he should have just told the truth and then asked Higgins and Mitchell if they’d ever done any fund-raising for their parties.
I find the whole story strange, as in it’s strange that it’s a story. What’s wrong with legitimate fund raising for a political party?
I remember a story a few years back where it came out that Labour did exactly the same thing with “business leaders” when Ruairi Quinn was Minister for Finance. It’s ironic that at the time FF were making a big deal out of it as well.

Of course McGuiness’s party doesn’t have to engage in that sort of fund raising...

Having no idea who to put first on the ballot paper, this campaign has been about who to put last. I started off with Dana, but she has moved up as the others have moved down.
It's a bit of a quandary alright. I have Dana as my number (I have a bet on her to get more 1st prefs than Mary Davis); my 5, 6 & 7 are locked in but my 2, 3 & 4 are up in the air. A 'none of the above' box would probably romp home.

I find the whole story strange, as in it’s strange that it’s a story. What’s wrong with legitimate fund raising for a political party?
I remember a story a few years back where it came out that Labour did exactly the same thing with “business leaders” when Ruairi Quinn was Minister for Finance. It’s ironic that at the time FF were making a big deal out of it as well.

Of course McGuiness’s party doesn’t have to engage in that sort of fund raising...

I agree but I think he made it a story himself. Why he didn't just come out at the beginning and reveal everything is beyond me. People already knew about the FF links. Now, he just comes across as dishonest.

http://www.independent.ie/national-...ed-his-story-on-dinner-donations-2915976.html

I agree but I think he made it a story himself. Why he didn't just come out at the beginning and reveal everything is beyond me. People already knew about the FF links. Now, he just comes across as dishonest.

http://www.independent.ie/national-...ed-his-story-on-dinner-donations-2915976.html

I agree. The Labour media are going to town on him. Drivetime yesterday did one of the most disgracefully biased hatchet jobs on him I've ever heard on any Irish radio or TV station.

Exactly Sunny. If he came out at the very start and said yes I did fund raise, so what, the story would have blown over. He made such a mess of it that people are now (rightly) questioning his honesty. And to use phrases like brown envelope, not knowing what was in it, and even his explanation of the €89K, it all just brought back the FF culture to the fore.

Exactly Sunny. If he came out at the very start and said yes I did fund raise, so what, the story would have blown over. He made such a mess of it that people are now (rightly) questioning his honesty. And to use phrases like brown envelope, not knowing what was in it, and even his explanation of the €89K, it all just brought back the FF culture to the fore.

The loan is actually more of a story. There are questions to be answered there because what he is claiming doesn't make sense.

The loan is actually more of a story. There are questions to be answered there because what he is claiming doesn't make sense.

What Gay Mitchell hinted at made much more sense to me with regard to this loan. It was like listening to Bertie all over again hearing SGs explanation of it!

And to use phrases like brown envelope, not knowing what was in it, and even his explanation of the €89K, it all just brought back the FF culture to the fore.

Its like the old Lyndon Johnson quote of "Lets accuse him of it anyway and watch him deny it".
When you start using phrases like money in envelope, no recollection, fuel smuggler in your explanation you're losing.

If he had have said from the start he had some role in FF fund raising (which is perfectly legal) but had since left the party for whatever reason, the story would not have been so dramatic.

To paraphrase Alistair Campbell "if you're still explaining yourself on Day 3, you're toast".

Positive about his Fianna Fail deep roots? Or positive about his cash collection skills for party donations?

Fund-raising from political partys is the norm in many countries.

Are you purposing state funding of political partys?

Membership of policital partys in normal in any democracy.

So too is changing party membership or leaving membership laspe.

All of this is a storm in a tea-cup.

Nope, I just saw it and thought it would add to the discussion. It’s strange that his statement was at odds with the FF statement. I’m not a FF member, supporter or voter and haven’t been since the day Bertie took over.

I agree. He’s shown remarkable naivety over the last 24 hours. He should have said “I don’t know, I’ll get back to you” if he didn’t know or, since he knew that this issue was coming up, he should have just told the truth and then asked Higgins and Mitchell if they’d ever done any fund-raising for their parties.

I have to say, I agree. While I would never ever have contributed any funds to FF I can't understand the way Gallagher is being treated as if he did something highly irregular and shocking. It's almost being put on the same level as McGuinness's involvement in the IRA atrocities or Norris's intervention in a charge against an adult having sex with a minor. I think this is being blown way way out of perspective. Yes, Gallagher didn't handle it very calmly and professionally but he hasn't committed a crime or been revealed as doing something totally shocking.

As purple says, it really does beg the question as to why this is such an issue. Again, as Sunny indicated, the loan issue is by far a bigger topic that needs answering.

I think it's a media thing though, they've set up this election to be a much bigger issue than it is, especially with all the debates. Therefore they need things to talk about to continue this line.

But I still don't get why this issue. Just that two candidates have escaped any real legitimate/exaggerated "stories" and media trials: GM and MDH.

So just the two candidates from the government then. Coincidentally the only two candidates to have never done or said anything in their past that might in anyway need very public scrutiny.

Fund-raising from political partys is the norm in many countries.

Are you purposing state funding of political partys?

Membership of policital partys in normal in any democracy.

So too is changing party membership or leaving membership laspe.

All of this is a storm in a tea-cup.

THe issue isn't his membership of FF or his bagman activities. The issue is his Judas denial of FF and his factually untrue denial that he had collected cheques for that particular event. He has been exposed as someone who tells untruths when put under pressure. Is that the kind of President we want?

THe issue isn't his membership of FF or his bagman activities. The issue is his Judas denial of FF and his factually untrue denial that he had collected cheques for that particular event. He has been exposed as someone who tells untruths when put under pressure. Is that the kind of President we want?

Isn't that what all politicians do anyway?, except in the case of professional politicians, they lie by answering a different question to the one that was asked. Part of SG's problem is that he isn't as adept at bull**** as some of the others

Back