Presidential Election

To expand more and maybe make some predictions. I think the independent transfers will scatter around the other candidates. I think after the initial rounds, we could be left with Michael D in the lead, trailed by Mitchell and Gallagher (with c.20% each) and McGuinness in 4th, though not by much. I have a feeling that McGuinnesses transfers will not be enough to get Michael D elected (I think Michael D will not poll as well as the polls suggest - similar to what happened in the general election that Labour thought they could win). The key to the election will be who of Mitchell and Gallagher gets eliminated before the final count and where their votes go.

I can't see Mitchell getting anything like 20%.

This stuff re: Higgins is extremely concerning.

http://www.markhumphrys.com/michael.d.higgins.html

Since when did Israel become a front line State of the West? It is a Middle-East State that has the support of some Western States.

"Michael D. Higgins opposes the brave allied effort in Iraq".... oh yeah, let me see, an illegal invasion based on lies. He was 100% to support this protest, like the majority of the Western world.

I'm not going to even read the rest of it as it looks like pro Israel progaganda to me

This stuff re: Higgins is extremely concerning.

http://www.markhumphrys.com/michael.d.higgins.html

Whether you agree with Mark Humphries blog or not his views echo those of the majority of Americans.
We don’t see much inward investment or trade from Nicaragua, Cuba or the West Bank or Gaza. He may or may not be correct in his views but his strongly anti-Israeli and anti-American views would indeed severely damage our relationship with America.

I'm not going to even read the rest of it as it looks like pro Israel progaganda to me
You are dismissing it on the basis of what it might be. Why not read it and then you can dismiss it on the basis of what it is?

Since when did Israel become a front line State of the West? It is a Middle-East State that has the support of some Western States.

"Michael D. Higgins opposes the brave allied effort in Iraq".... oh yeah, let me see, an illegal invasion based on lies. He was 100% to support this protest, like the majority of the Western world.

His views will be construed as our views if he gets the job.

Same can be said for Norris, or Dana, or McGuinness.. Everyone has an opinion, everyone has a view.

Someone who has stood up against a State's violence towards another state is seen as being against that state. How many people protested against the Afgan war, or the Iraq war? Millions did! Are they all anti US? No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_15,_2003_anti-war_protest

I think it’s his one-sided criticism that people have a problem with.
It’s one thing to be critical of American foreign policy, it’s another to show support and solidarity with a child-killing terrorist who embezzled hundreds of millions of dollars from his own people or repressive communist governments who torture and kill their domestic political opposition. If both sides are blood-soaked extremists then call it as it is. Pretending that one side is on the side of the angels in order to vilify the other means that you approve of their actions.

His views will be construed as our views if he gets the job.

Mary McAleese's Presidency transcended her background as a pro-life activist and failed Fianna Fail election candidate. Hopefully the next President will do likewise.

I think it’s his one-sided criticism that people have a problem with.

But when you say one sided, have you ever heard Higgins protest against the actions of Clinton or the visit of Obama for example? Where was his anti US feeling or protests back in May? In fact, where was the anti-US brigade during that visit?

On Arafat & Ortega, I admit that I do not know enough about them to discuss that point.

Don't worry boys. The next President will have no Fianna Fáil baggage. In fact his closet is bare of skeletons. :)

Whether you agree with Mark Humphries blog or not his views echo those of the majority of Americans.
We don’t see much inward investment or trade from Nicaragua, Cuba or the West Bank or Gaza. He may or may not be correct in his views but his strongly anti-Israeli and anti-American views would indeed severely damage our relationship with America.

Many Americans I know are up in arms about the actions of the government abroad and in bailing our Wall Street.
They too are concerned about American involvement in the State of Israel and the treatment of the Palestinians.

I want a president whose moral compass won't turn one way and then another because the American President or the Israeli agenda might be disturbed if he didn't agree with the PNAC or whatever.
I want a president who will support human rights and international law and who will help build trade links with emerging economies like Africa and BRICs as opposed to pandering to the influence of America in our affairs.

Plus I'd like our oil and gas back too. :)

Press release from Gallagher;

Independent Presidential candidate, Seán Gallagher has slammed Martin McGuinness and Sinn Féin’s attempt at ‘political assassination.’

“I have fought a clean campaign beyond reproach now Martin McGuinness and Sinn Féin have come out against me for two reasons. Firstly I called on all candidates and members of the public to come forward with any information about brutal murder of Detective Garda Gerry McCabe who was killed tragically in performance of his duties in protecting this state and secondly because of my position in the opinion polls.”

“This has made me a target for slurs and untruths.”

“This was a political assassination attempt by Martin McGuinness and Sinn Féin last night. The person in question Hugh Morgan is a convicted criminal and he loaded the gun while Martin McGuinness pulled the trigger. I told the truth on Frontline.”

“Martin McGuinness said that I visited Hugh Morgan after the event to deliver a photograph and collect the cheque. This is untrue.”

“I am pleased that Fianna Fáil have clarified on the Pat Kenny Show this morning that they received a cheque of €5,000 date the 26th of June 2008 from Mr. Morgan and that this donation was acknowledged and receipted and lodged to their bank account on the 28th of June in advance of the event which was held on the 1st of July.”

“So I could not have collected any cheque from Mr. Morgan after the event when I delivered the photograph, which he was very insistent that he wanted, to him.”

“Today when evidence has emerged that refutes Mr. McGuinness’s claims he has changed his story. This is despite he claims that he spoke to Mr. Morgan only two hours before the debate where Mr. McGuinness levelled these untrue accusations at me. Martin McGuinness is just not credible.”

“This was a legitimate and legal fundraiser. No banks were robbed and no members of the Gardaí were killed during it.”

“This attempt to slur me and my campaign will not succeed.”

“I urge all my supporters around the country to stay focussed on a positive campaign. Sinn Féin were out to get me. I will fight on in a positive way as I have been for the future and the good of this great country. The people of Ireland will have their say on Thursday.”

ENDS

Many Americans I know are up in arms about the actions of the government abroad and in bailing our Wall Street.
They too are concerned about American involvement in the State of Israel and the treatment of the Palestinians.

I want a president whose moral compass won't turn one way and then another because the American President or the Israeli agenda might be disturbed if he didn't agree with the PNAC or whatever.
I want a president who will support human rights and international law and who will help build trade links with emerging economies like Africa and BRICs as opposed to pandering to the influence of America in our affairs.

Plus I'd like our oil and gas back too. :)

I'd like one that doesn't damage our trade links with the USA, soon to be our biggest trade partner.
One of us will be happy on Friday :D

Press release from Gallagher;

Independent Presidential candidate, Seán Gallagher has slammed Martin McGuinness and Sinn Féin’s attempt at ‘political assassination.’

“I have fought a clean campaign beyond reproach now Martin McGuinness and Sinn Féin have come out against me for two reasons. Firstly I called on all candidates and members of the public to come forward with any information about brutal murder of Detective Garda Gerry McCabe who was killed tragically in performance of his duties in protecting this state and secondly because of my position in the opinion polls.”

“This has made me a target for slurs and untruths.”

“This was a political assassination attempt by Martin McGuinness and Sinn Féin last night. The person in question Hugh Morgan is a convicted criminal and he loaded the gun while Martin McGuinness pulled the trigger. I told the truth on Frontline.”

“Martin McGuinness said that I visited Hugh Morgan after the event to deliver a photograph and collect the cheque. This is untrue.”

“I am pleased that Fianna Fáil have clarified on the Pat Kenny Show this morning that they received a cheque of €5,000 date the 26th of June 2008 from Mr. Morgan and that this donation was acknowledged and receipted and lodged to their bank account on the 28th of June in advance of the event which was held on the 1st of July.”

“So I could not have collected any cheque from Mr. Morgan after the event when I delivered the photograph, which he was very insistent that he wanted, to him.”

“Today when evidence has emerged that refutes Mr. McGuinness’s claims he has changed his story. This is despite he claims that he spoke to Mr. Morgan only two hours before the debate where Mr. McGuinness levelled these untrue accusations at me. Martin McGuinness is just not credible.”

“This was a legitimate and legal fundraiser. No banks were robbed and no members of the Gardaí were killed during it.”

“This attempt to slur me and my campaign will not succeed.”

“I urge all my supporters around the country to stay focussed on a positive campaign. Sinn Féin were out to get me. I will fight on in a positive way as I have been for the future and the good of this great country. The people of Ireland will have their say on Thursday.”

ENDS

are you is PR agent Purple? :D Personally any doubts I had about SG were confirmed last night - I think he's a lightweight bluffer (admittedly a good one!).

So I could not have collected any cheque from Mr. Morgan after the event when I delivered the photograph, which he was very insistent that he wanted, to him.”

So there was obvious communication before the event between SG and Mr Morgan. Was the cheque presented to SG before the event as oppposed to after the event by Mr Morgan - the photograph to be delivered after the event.

The statement doesn't clarify how the cheque came into the possession of FF on the 26 only that they received one from Mr Morgan. Was it personally delivered by Mr Morgan? Was it sent by post? Or was it hand delivered by SG or by AN Other?

After a fundraiser, SG travels to the man's home to deliver a photograph.

Seems bizarre!

Marion

Mary McAleese's Presidency transcended her background as a pro-life activist and failed Fianna Fail election candidate. Hopefully the next President will do likewise.

Not exactly issues that have a global impact though?

Sean Gallagher is a decent guy who ran a positive campaign.

Others were ot to make a mountain out of a moehill.

Back