President Obama.

Bronco Lane

It would appear that RTE lost the link to the inside of the pub that Obama was visiting in Monygall. We were subjected to pictures of the outside of the pub and a talkover. Does anyone know if he finished his pint?

Ha! I'd say by the speed both him and Michelle were knocking them back he probably did.

I have to say, as cheesy as it sounds, watching them both shaking hands and interracting with people made me grin ear to ear. They seem very natural, genuine people who seem truly happy to be here.

I agree, I was the same, the Queens visit was so regimented this just seemed so friendly - he and Michelle genuinely appeared to want to meet and greet as many as they could, very tactile lovely people.

He's easy on the eye as well! ;)

I was interested enough to stop sweeping the floor and watch. I loved Enda's speech first but thought Obama looked faintly amused by it all. It was perhaps a little over the top but there was no mistaking the welcome that only the Irish can give. My daughter was on College Green and she came away buzzing.

They're a lovely couple and great ambassadors for the their country. Who could forget the picture of Michelle hugging the queen....and the queen returning it?

I was very proud to be "Irish by choice" yesterday. Can't help wondering though if "Henry the eight" will be invited over for Christmas.

Not sure about Enda's speech, it had a whole Sunday in September in the Hogan stand accepting a cup vibe about it, a bit excitable and OTT. Had he been on ther blue smarties beforehand? Having said that, it was significantly better then anything Cowan could have delivered

I agree, I was the same, the Queens visit was so regimented this just seemed so friendly - he and Michelle genuinely appeared to want to meet and greet as many as they could, very tactile lovely people.

He's easy on the eye as well! ;)

I have to say I found the Queen's visit more moving and awe inspiring. I know she wasn't as tactile as the Obamas but she's been brought up totally differently. I will, however, never forget her walking off from a stall holder in Cork laughing her head off.

I have to admit the guy knows how to work a crowd. He is one cool dude. Not that it's going to make much of a difference to our very real problems but the last week has at least put us in a good light both at home and abroad for a change. I'm sure normal service will be resumed shortly :-(

So how about those public sector workers, all overpaid and they don't work in the real world. I even heard they drown cute kittens :mad:;)

Didn't you hear? We all got the day off yesterday to celebrate Obama coming and a pay rise because the Queen's visit went so well.:D

We each have on average 400,000 8th cousins. If you are an American, any American, it is pretty safe to say that you could count almost any country in Europe as amongst your 8th cousins.

Still, given he had such a choice, it must say something that O'Bama chose the 'ould sod.

Irish American vote ;)

Or am I too cynical?

When I heard he was coming, the upcoming election immediately came to mind. He showed no interest in Ireland before, which is fine I don't expect him to have an interest in Ireland.

He was on the way to UK etc anyway so why not kill two birds, so not cynical at all.

That said I had no problem with him coming and think it was a pity it was so short. The same lenght of time would have done me for the queens visit as I had no interest in that.

I was more referring to normal service of negativity and bad news.You can see all that on AAM, though we had a ceasefire for a while

Obviously this visit was very much with re-election next year in mind, lets not kid ourselves about that. But so what! It was lovely to see the President and his wife mingling with the people of Moneygall and as has been mentioned, they really seemed to enjoy themselves there. This type of publicity is not only good for the re-election interests of Barack Obama, it is also priceless for the interests of this country. And I have no doubt that Barack and Michelle Obama left here last night very much warmed by the reception they received and the genuine delight people here had in seeing them.
What a week it has been for our little country! Hopefully we can now move on with a little bit more humility than perhaps we have shown in recent years, but also with a lot more confidence in our true values as a nation.

RTE's Washington correspondent was making the point last night that the images from moneygall will be far more valuable to Obama than the images of the Aras, College Green etc.

He's in need of some "hokey" apparently.

His visit was great for the image of the country abroad but I'm not sure there was anything of great substance in his speech. The leader of a big country in serious hock tells a small country in serious hock that they'll be grand. He's nice teeth though so I suppose he's right.

Obviously this visit was very much with re-election next year in mind, lets not kid ourselves about that. But so what! It was lovely to see the President and his wife mingling with the people of Moneygall and as has been mentioned, they really seemed to enjoy themselves there. This type of publicity is not only good for the re-election interests of Barack Obama, it is also priceless for the interests of this country. And I have no doubt that Barack and Michelle Obama left here last night very much warmed by the reception they received and the genuine delight people here had in seeing them.
What a week it has been for our little country! Hopefully we can now move on with a little bit more humility than perhaps we have shown in recent years, but also with a lot more confidence in our true values as a nation.

This sums it up perfectly for me.

P.S. I hope Charlie Bird had a spare pair of trousers after his report to camera for the 9 o'clock news!

There was a school of thought that McCain was a better bet for the Irish and that O'Bama would quickly remove any advantage Ireland has in attracting US MNCs away from domestic employment.

Now that we have claimed him as one of our own, he would have to be a bit of a hard chaw to backstab us now.

A very political visit imho (all that baby kissing,hand-shaking and pint drinking was nauseating). You'd think he was the Messiah by the reaction of the Irish people. He couldn't wait to leave the country, I know ash cloud etc..

Found the Queen's visit alot more emotional and sincere.

Back