Premanently remove GU10 downlights

westside

Hi all,

I have 10 downlights in my kitchen and am want to remove them and replace with a single energy efficient celing light.

- Has anyone done this before?
- Would I need an electrician to remove the existing one and fit a traditional light fitting
- Would I need a platerer to replaster the ceiling or can the holes be simply filled in.

Thanks a lot.

I think as you have asked the question you don,t know enough to tackle the electrical work safely so get someone who knows what they are doing its relativly simple for any handyman to do.

Holes can be filled in sucessfully, but its a bit of work to get it looking good again!

Guess if you used an electrician to put the original lights in you should get one to take em out!

Is it because of cost or asthetics, I'm guessing costs, have you thought about a dimmer switch?? I'm in the same boat (8 downlighters in kitchen and 8 in hall)

In same boat myself , what about energy saving l.e.d. bulbs to save money.less hassle than filling in the holes , dont know what the % saving would be , do any electricians out there know?

LED's are the way to go, should be roughly 90% cheaper to run and have 10 times the lifespan of incandesant.

Try one of the GU 10 led bulbs before you buy 10 ( aint cheap) of them cause they don't have the light output as you might expect,(1st hand exp.) and especially in a kitchen where sufficient light is required. If you get an electrician to take out the lights and a plasterer to patch up after,it will be a while before you claw back them bobs in savings.
Led technology is moving fast so I would expect them to have a lamp with better light output in the near future. They cost nearly nothing to run.

The latest led is the 2w Super Bright GU10 and it is very sucessful. Light output is very good and 10 times the life of a standard GU10 halogen. 8 x 50w in your Kitchen amounts to 400w. Use the 2w Super Bright and use 16w v 400w.

I light my kitchen and hallway entirely with GU10 Leds, 1.2watts each, I'm happy with em, they don't give off fantastic light, but it's sufficient for me, and I think they look quite good. There is a slight tinge of blue to the light they give out. Some Leds give off a more natural white light , but not the ones for sale in B&Q.

They use 40 times less current than the 50 watt halogens which I used to use.

Do they have GU10 leds in B&Q ? couldnt see them last time i was in .

They do in the UK where I am living temporarily. They are in a green box containing 2 * GU10's for about £9. (£4.50 each)

They only stock one type, I know because I go to different B&Q's quite frequently.
Maybe in Ireland they don't stock em.
I find stuff like this tends to be at least 50% more expensive in Ireland, if not 100%, dunno why.

I actually bought some 1.2wt GU 10 LED in B&Q Liffey Valley today. They were €13.98 for 2. Bought the same thing yesterday in B&Q Hollywood, Belfast for 8.98 sterling

Bought 2 of the GU10'S 1.2WT from B&Q not great light to be fair.
Does anyone know where i can source the GU10 2WT LED bulbs from?

Thanks in advance..

I bought all mine about a year ago from http://www.ledlightbulb.net/

They all arrived from China, bought about 50 of the 48 LED GU10 replacements, I think they are 3 watt.

They are all over the house now, energy bills way down after getting rid of the halogen.

Also, no heat from these, so no need for flower pot covers in Attic.

Bulbs not as powerful as 50 watt halogen, maybe same as 30 watt, but fine for bedrooms, hallways, bathrooms kitchens etc.

Hi,

If you go to any good electrical wholesaler they will sell you 3w GU10 lamps. I've changed 100's of them but htey are expensive though.

Regards

I have bought GU10 cfls in B&Q Belfast. They are £8.98 each. They have a number of different wattages. I bought both 7w and 11w bulbs. The 11w are rated as giving the same light as 50w halogen and the 7w are supposed to equal 30w halogens. I find both times give much better light that any leds I have tried.

Eiretronic.com have the new next generation LED lights. Just as good as halogen but a bit pricey. Good value in the long run though.

Back