Pre paid Mastercard

Hi again Papercut.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply in such a comprehensive way.

I am in no way attempting to infer an association with either RyanAir or Neteller on your part.

Your comments have indeed been very helpful, pasrticularly to me personally.

I think we both have the same aim, that is to save fees/admin charges when booking flights with RyanAir.

I have taken your advice again in this regard, and have now applied for the Chip+Pin version, despite my misgivings about yet another plastic card.

However, its a small price to pay, considering the benefits available ;)

I would not however assume, as you do here:

so if it means getting a plastic card that I will realistically never pay any more charges on than I would on Ryanair booking fees, well that's what I do.

People actually went to the trouble of getting the previous Entropay Visa Electron Cards to facilitate the same purpose, and RyanAir have pulled the rug from under them :(

Mick O'Leary even mentioned this card, told the nation he had one himself, not more than a few weeks ago, in a radio interview I heard, not sure of the Station, but deffo said it.

So, cat and mouse with RyanAir is the operative phrase indeed.

Anyway, my application is now under way, so thanks again for the good advice, although this time I think I am doing the opposite :D

Happy Christmas and have a Prosperous New Year :D

Hi again Papercut.

Happy Christmas and have a Prosperous New Year :D
Thanks irishpancake & many happy returns:)

What I meant by not paying any more charges was that even if I never used the card for Ryanair bookings I'd avoid paying any inactive fees to Neteller by using the card once every 14 months, but I agree it's probably only a matter of time before Mr O'Leary changes the playing field once again.

Incidentally, I have just finished a 'live' chat/support session with Neteller & the following is a transcript - I have changed my name to Papercut & the Neteller employee username to NT - to protect the innocent :eek:

Hi, my name is NT. How may I help you?
NT: Hi Papercutl

Papercut: hi NT - I just have a quick question - how come you can't use a virtual card when booking a Ryanair flight?

NT: May I know the transaction date and amount please?

Papercut: Well it's more of a query really - I did a 'test' booking just to see whether you could actually use the virtual card. The virtual card transaction came up as ''incorrect card number (even though it was correct) but the plastic card number was accepted (but declined due to l=insufficient funds) as I expected it to be as it was only a test booking to see whether both cards were accepted by Ryanair

NT: Sorry but the transaction using virtual card would not be successful if your account did not have sufficient balance to complete a transacation. It will automatically declined

Papercut: But would it not say declined due to lack of funds? just as the transaction using my plastic card was declined

NT: There are several reasons for your Net+ Virtual card to decline. One is that your merchant did not accept payment by Virtual Card but may request use of Physical Crad. The other reason is that your account available balance is not sufficient for the transaction amount

Papercut: Do Ryanair request use of a Physical Card?

NT: You will need to contact the merchant for further information as we do not have related information about the mercaant

NT: Yo ucould use the virtual card if it accepts Master Card and also virtual card form

Papercut: Is the Virtual Card considered as a prepaid MasterCard?

NT: Yes

Papercut: ok well then there is a problem as Ryanair do not recognise the virtual card as a prepaid MasterCard on their booking site - but they do recognise a Physical card as a prepaid MasterCard

NT: Yes the merchant may do so

Papercut: may do what?

NT: They may not accept Virtual Card and you need to confirm their payment policy

Papercut: They advertise that they accept prepay MasterCard so presumably they are aware of their own payment policy? You are saying that a Virtual Card is a Prepaid MasterCard, they say that they accept a prepaid MasterCard, so where does the problem lie & how can it be fixed?

NT: Please confirm with your merchant

Papercut: My merchant has confirmed that they accept prepaid MasterCard, as I have already stated. But they do not accept Virtual Net+ cards. Why is this if it is a prepaid MasterCard?

NT: Net+ Virtual Prepaid MasterCard® numbers can be generated either through your NETELLER account on our website or through our convenient NETELLER Desktop application.

PLEASE NOTE: The Net+ Virtual Prepaid MasterCard® requires an online transaction. If the merchant requires a physical card then your transaction will be declined.

Papercut: How does the merchant know if a card is a virtual one or a physical one?

NT: Their system could verify that kind of information

Papercut: oh ok - so can you please confirm that you cannot use a Virtual prepaid Net+ MasterCard for booking flights on the Ryanair site, but you can book them using a Physical Net+ prepaid MasterCard?

NT: sorry we could not confirm this as we could not access the information of the merchant and you will need to confirm at your ends

Papercut: Can you confirm if any Virtual Netteller+ prepaid MasterCard holder have in fact successfully completed a transaction booking a Ryanair flight using their Virtual Card via the ryanair.com wesite?

NT: sorry but please understand that we do not have the specific merchant transaction details

Papercut: I can understand that, but surely you would be aware of whether or not a merchant has accepted a Virtual card or not, considering that the said merchant is such a high-profile merchant. You would also, surely be able to confirm whether or not any merchant is set up on your system to accept a particular type of card?

NT: Sorry but we do not have this kind of information related to Merchant payment details. To clarify, some merchants may not accept Virtyal Net+ Card as they do not regards it as a valid payment form even though they claim they accepte Prepaid master Card. Please clarify with your merchant definition of their terms of use or terms of payment methods

Papercut: ok NT - thank you for your time.

NT: you are welcome

NT: Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Papercut: Not at the moment thank-you

NT: Have a nice Christmas Time

NT: Thank you for using NETELLER Live Chat. We appreciate your business and look forward to assisting you again. Bye for now!
'Papercut' disconnected ('Concluded by End-user').

Man, Papercut, that is unbelievable :D

Do you have Total Recall, by any chance.

This one not this one I mean. :p

Hasta la vista hombre

Happy Holidays ;)

Apart from using the plastic card in shops, etc, is there any advantage over the Virtual Card?

Yes...You can use on internet as everyone knows....You wont have debts like ''real'' credit cards...Its pay as you go....You will spend as much as you have in ''real'' That's a great satisfaction......

With a great great great very great difficulty I have recently cleared my creditcard bills....I will never ever apply for one again with any bank and will never ever advise to do so to anyone...

So in my eyes, my point of view...This pay as you go ''this'' is a magic solution.....I hope so for the others....

Hi all, Nicole from NETELLER here. Just wanted to thank those of you who have been chatting up the Net+ card.

I also wanted to assure you all that the Net+ Chip & PIN does work on Ryanair and you won't have to pay any admin fees. Unfortunately, we recently found out that our virtual card is currently not recognized as a prepaid MasterCard on the site but we are working with our card issuer to get this problem resolved.

Although we aren't partnered with Ryanair, as mentioned earlier, we are running a special promo right now...simply sign up for a free NETELLER account, apply for a Net+ Chip & PIN card and use it to book a flight on Ryanair by Jan 31, 2010 and you'll be entered to win 50 EUR.

If you have any questions about the card, you can visit our cards page at NETELLER.com or feel free to drop me a reply on this forum.

Hi all, Nicole from NETELLER here. Just wanted to thank those of you who have been chatting up the Net+ card.

I also wanted to assure you all that the Net+ Chip & PIN does work on Ryanair and you won't have to pay any admin fees. Unfortunately, we recently found out that our virtual card is currently not recognized as a prepaid MasterCard on the site but we are working with our card issuer to get this problem resolved.

Although we aren't partnered with Ryanair, as mentioned earlier, we are running a special promo right now...simply sign up for a free NETELLER account, apply for a Net+ Chip & PIN card and use it to book a flight on Ryanair by Jan 31, 2010 and you'll be entered to win 50 EUR.

If you have any questions about the card, you can visit our cards page at NETELLER.com or feel free to drop me a reply on this forum.

Hi there (Hope this is you) :)

You are very welcome to the AAM forum.

I for one certainly appreciate your posting here, and your comments about the RyanAir "when is a prepaid MasterCard not a prepaid MasterCard" conundrum.

This shows that you and Neteller are really on top of your game, and I look forward to doing business in the coming years, not just to book RyanAir flights, but to avail of your full range of services.

I also appreciate that Neteller has allowed the to continue without censorship, i.e removing certain posts.

See Chris's comment

We apologize for any inconvenience, however, the Net+ virtual prepaid card is incorrectly designated by our card issuer and we are working to get this problem resolved as soon as possible.

Our Net+ Chip & PIN (physical) prepaid card is properly designated as a prepaid card and will work when booking with Ryanair.

It is refreshing to see that you are aware of customer requirements, and that you take action to ensure that those requirements are met, in as much as this is possible.

Thank you Nicole. I have booked a fee from Eindhoven to Amsterdam and indeed no fee for the Net+ card. I am very glad about it.

Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum - much appreciated.

Neteller do indeed appear to be the best value here. In summary the fees appear to be as follows:
- 1.75% if loading from another debit or credit card (instant); 0% if loading by bank transfer (2-5 days to clear)
- 0% to use card if transaction is in your own currency
- 2.95% to use card if tranaction is in another currency
It is a little more complex to get the card, but seems to be a good option, at least until Ryanair's next change, to bypass these fees.
(Payzone card now goes, unused, into the bin)

Last edited:
Thank you Nicole. I have booked a fee from Eindhoven to Amsterdam and indeed no fee for the Net+ card. I am very glad about it.

Hi, Nbaki82....Do Ryainair fly from EINDHOVEN to Amsterdam??? Since when??

I think Ryainair doesnt operate from Amsterdam......Or is it new?

I'm still undecided on whether to go with a Neteller card or Bishopstown Credit Union Card. If I was sure that the Bishopstown Credit Union Card would work I would go with that one as the transfers should be quicker and I would be more comfortable with transfering my money to an Irish Financial institution ( please resist urge to laugh!! ).

Do anyone know for sure if the Ryanair system will accept the Bishopstown Credit Union Card as a Prepaid MasterCard?

Thanks in advance.

The Bishopstown Credit Union DEBIT Card is a “electronic use only” MasterCard issues by the NEWCASTLE BUILDING SOCIETY and to the best of my knowledge coded correctly as a prepaid MasterCard, however if Ryanair reads the BIN correctly is a different story, maybe someone here would be able to test it?

It is advertised as a Prepaid MasterCard and the card number starts with 5274 55 if the actual cards follow the format of the images on the website. If someone could confirm that they have used this card to purchase a Ryanair flight in this manner then that would definately answer the question.

Hi gunnerfitzy:

Seems to me that the Bishopstown Prepaid MasterCard should qualify for RyanAir Bookings, as per their announcements:

RYANAIR TO ACCEPT LASER CARD PAYMENTS

MASTERCARD PREPAID NOW FREE PAYMENT METHOD

And their Table of Fees

Do you have to be a Bishopstown Credit Union member, within their Common Bond , to qualify for this card?

If so, it is of limited value or use to the travelling population at large, but if I were a member, I would certainly have one, as there are [broken link removed].

Looks like a very good and well-run Credit Union.

Hi irishpancake,

It does indeed look like the BCU card would be accepted but knowing Mr O' Leary I would prefer to hear that someone successfully purchased a ticket, fee-free, before calling down to the BCU to apply for a card.

Thanks to google I found out that the BCU is on twitter and that they have posted that you can indeed book your fee-free Ryanair flights using their card.

http://twitter.com/BishopstownCU

Regarding the membership issue, I cannot see any specific criteria on their website but I have emailed them requesting details and I will post the reply when received.

Last edited:
Electron is to be fazed out in 2010, so Easyjet will most likely swap it with prepaid either MC or Visa.

Will be interesting to see what Aer Lingus will select also. Would probably be hoping for too much to have Ryanair, EasyJet and Aer Lingus choose the same card!!

Back