Power City 'retsocking fee'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacific

Recently purchased a product online from Power City and paid a delivery charge. And agreed to pay an installation charge also. When their delivery guys turned up, they opened the box and began to install the appliance however it wouldn't fit. So I agreed to return the product. I have since been charged a 'restocking fee' of 20% of the cost of the product because the box was opened.

I am disgusted - anyone else experienced this.

Seems a bit harsh. Could you get a different size or make some more room ? I would ring and dispute it and see if they would at least offer you a credit note or something. Chances are they have this written somewhere in the T&C however.

We went in store on the day of the return to choose a diiferent model, it was only after agreeing to the substitution that they slapped the 20% 'restocking fee'. The salesman disputed this with Head Office on the phone but to no end. Their agrument is they can't sell this as new now because the box was opened. I am still in shock at their behaviour - and they want us to support Irish jobs!

How come you ordered the wrong size to begin with or didn't know it wouldn't fit? As it was ordered online I can't see how the vendor could have known there was a space or size issue.

Seems a bit harsh.
I disagree.
The item was not faulty, therefore they were under no obligation to accept a return. It was the buyers fault that the item did not fit the space.
As for the packaging, it's possible they may now have to sell this item as ex-display or offer a small discount to resell it.
The delivery charge & installation charge are irrelevant. I presume you knew about these in advance in any case?

The sales people assured me that there are all standard size under counter appliances. Of course in retrospect I should have measured and not relied on this.

So the under-counter spaces in your kitchen were non-standard and the appliance was standard size. They were very considerate to only charge a 20% re-stocking fee - they could have just refused to take it back.

Well I have the last laugh on this one. The NCA have just advised me that they have contravened their statutory obligations under SI 207 of 2001 regarding online shopping and shouldnot have charged any fees for return of product for whatever reason.

Very interesting case - so you actually have MORE rights by buying online that by buying in store.

They are also not right in saying they cannot sell the item as the box has been opened. How many times do you see places selling items as 'last one' or 'display model' left.

Usually they knock a bit off but to charge you 20% re-stocking is a bit much.

They can resell the item. but it has to be listed as a display model as customers won't buy an appliance in an opened box. Display models are then sold at a discount - usually 10-15% below the price of new unopened stock.

Couldn't grumble at a 5% hit but 20% is OTT and alot of money and smacks of Ryanair style nickle and diming.

Pacific - I can't see why you're getting so het up. It's up to you to make sure the appliance fits the space in your home. It didn't fit, so how can you blame the retailer? As it stands, you're not being charged the restocking fee, so no cause for complaint... The opened item is sold at a discount which exceeds 5%, and why should the retailer lose money because of your own error?

Pacific - I can't see why you're getting so het up. It's up to you to make sure the appliance fits the space in your home. It didn't fit, so how can you blame the retailer? As it stands, you're not being charged the restocking fee, so no cause for complaint... The opened item is sold at a discount which exceeds 5%, and why should the retailer lose money because of your own error?

Because it's my money! Hello. And if I didn't go to the trouble of pursuing it I'd be out of pocket.

No dimensions were given on THEIR webpage and THEY told me not to worry because it would fit as they are all standard sizes.

It went back immediately with THEIR delivery guys and they HAVE already charged me 20% restocking fee because THEIR staff opened the box.

This restocking fee is total arbitrary nonsense and it appears some people would just roll over.

This restocking fee is total arbitrary nonsense and it appears some people would just roll over.

Restocking fees are quite common. The Power City website really is quite poor, and doesn't even list terms & conditions as it should, though it does contain the suggestion that you should check dimensions yourself before making a purchase.

You are lucky that you have much stronger rights under online trading regulations.

Yes the law is on my side re online shopping, but because it is luck makes it a sad reflection on customer service in this instance and normal consumer rights in general.

Yes the law is on my side re online shopping, but because it is luck makes it a sad reflection on customer service in this instance and normal consumer rights in general.

Retailers have to be protected too, if consumers were allowed to return purchases for any reason, retailers' overheads would soar. We'd all pay the price then.

OP is being totally unreasonable. Why try to blame the shop for your own mistake? I have often phoned retaillers when shopping around for appliances, and they are more than happy to take a measuring tape and measure the item for you. Usually they are standard enough allright, but some could be an inch or so bigger or smaller which then might not fit.

I actually think it is fair enough that they charge a restocking fee.

Agree it is an interesting point that online shopping gives more rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back