Postbank - How long to get Maestro Card?

Postbank that is not true about Tesco as went shopping there on Monday August 3 and Postbank Maestro would not work at the till, talk about embarassing also why can we not use it online and to pay bills by phone

I opened the account on Monday 27th July, but the post came today (6th August) and I still haven't received anything. So 11 days have passed and I haven't received anything :(

Should I contact them, or should I keep waiting? I am going away next Sunday for two weeks so I would like it to arrive before then but it looks like it isn't.

Starting to regret opening an account with Postbank.

Well you was warned.

When I opened my account it took over 2 months for me to get my card due to their bungling and messing around. I received 3 difference PINs but no cards. Phoning them did not work. None of the staff had a clue. I had to make a formal written complaint to get anywhere. Once I mentioned taking the matter to the FSO I had my card within 3 days.

I have since closed my postbank account due to its general uselessness. Card not accepted in enough places,no use online, ridiculous 2 week cheque clearing policy etc. I simply had enough and opened a Halifax basic account with Visa debit card. I have never looked back.

I may follow suit - but I can't cancel my account before it's technically opened. I've lodged €150 initially when setting up my account and I can't get that out until I get the card.

I rang them - they said there was a problem with my address - when I was asked to verify it, the address didn't come up on the system. They said they would ring me back but I have yet to hear back from them (it's only been about an hour though).

Any individual customer problems like these are best dealt with through our contact centre. If you require a contact number you can get through to us on 1890 30 30 40. If there's anything else we can answer effectively here, just let us know.

Postbank

Is there any way of cancelling my account and getting my intial deposit of €150 back? I'll probably have to wait until I receive a card to get the money out - this is such a mess. They haven't rang back yet despite me ringing them at 9:20 this morning!

I had a problem the first time I tried to use my Maestro card in Tesco, but have used it successfully ever since. It is a bit of a pain not being able to use the card online, but I think it's because Postbank is fairly new to banking. The Maestro card is NOT a laser card, it is a Debit Card. They will probably correct this in time. I have to say that a bank account with no charges - not even for unpaid items - is worth the inconvenience of not being able to use it online. I would also comment that I had my card very quickly after opening the account and have found them extremely helpful whenever I have phoned with queries.

To postbank you still have not answered why we cannot use maestro online or over the phone

Laser is a debit card, the same principle as Maestro. Except it is not universally accepted in Ireland.
To postbank you still have not answered why we cannot use maestro online or over the phone
The reason they gave me when I asked was that they did not want to be dealing with chargebacks and merchant disputes. By setting the card to work only in physical locations by chip and pin only they don't need to worry about chargebacks or merchant disputes.

Hi Jel,

The reason our Maestro card is not accepted online or over the phone is the significant level of debit card fraud in the industry. This is to protect customers from fraud until a more secure system is in place.

Postbank will be working with Mastercard to ensure that we are updated on the progress of implementing the ‘SecureCode’ system to allow a secure online environment for the Postbank debit card to operate.

There are not any other reasons for this non acceptance as has been suggested above.

Regards,

Postbank

I finally received the Maestro card, the PIN code, and the Banksmart Device.

Just one simple question

On the banksmart device, if you insert the card and press Info it displays

Proton
Eur 0,00

What does this mean? What is it supposed to display? (I haven't used the card yet in an ATM so it's possible that the card is not yet activated though).

... On the banksmart device, if you insert the card and press Info it displays

Proton
Eur 0,00

What does this mean? What is it supposed to display? (I haven't used the card yet in an ATM so it's possible that the card is not yet activated though).
Press Info again after you get "Proton Eur 0,00", then press Info again. I don't know what any of it means (other than "batt. level % 99") but it'll keep you occupied until you activate your card. :)

It is just the software version and battery level. Mine is at 97% after a year. The Battery must be long lasting.

I know that you mostly use the M1 and M2 buttons, but I'm just wondering what the 'Proton Eur 0,00' means.

If I insert the card, I get the options M1 Info M2
If I press Info, it displays Proton on the first line, and Eur 0,00 on the second
Pressing Info again gives me the EPCI number
Pressing it again gives the Battery Level
And pressing it again gives the Reader Ver

But what does the first screen (the Proton... one) mean? Is it supposed to indicate the balance of your account or something? (Which it probably isn't as I have money in the account).

The reason our Maestro card is not accepted online or over the phone is the significant level of debit card fraud in the industry. This is to protect customers from fraud until a more secure system is in place.

Regards,
Postbank[/quote]

Surely Postbank need to be more proactive about this. Why was this issue not addressed before the bank entered the personal banking market? It seems rather amateurish and would raise questions about Postbank's credentials as a "serious" bank.

Back