Postbank - How long to get Maestro Card?

Timbuk2

If I open a PostBank account tomorrow morning, how long would it take to process and set up?

How long would it take to receive my Debit Card (Maestro I believe)?

Is Maestro as widely accepted as Laser in POS usage?

Does'nt take long to get the Maestro Card, if you open the account at a Post Office tomorrow, and all of your documentation is in order , you should have your card and PIN in about a week to 10 days.
Maestro is widely accepted by POS systems , although I and others have had problems at some terminals in the UK. I have used it widely across Europe and the USA without any problems.
You should also be aware that this is a Chip and PIN card only - it cannot be used for online/telephone purposes.

Thank you for replying!

That's quicker than expected!

I have two more (simple) questions

1). With a Postbank Maestro card, does it take 2-3 days for transactions to appear on your statement or is it instant?
2). On the Postbank locator website ([broken link removed]) it displays the post offices which support postbank, and gives them numbers (1=main, 2=regular, 3=local). My local post office is a local post office (number 3: Has some Product Packs and offers basic range of Postbank transactions). Will I be able to start an account here or will I have to go to the nearest Main postbank (not far away, but a much busier post office).

Thanks for reading,
Tim.

I just created an account with Postbank.

However, I left the post office with nothing but a receipt with the money I loaded - I was given anything else.

Does the ATM/Debit card, PostBank login device and PIN code all come in the post? How long does it normally take for this to happen?

Hi Timbuk2,

Sorry that we're only getting back to you now, have just seen this thread. As TheShark has already posted, all your materials should arrive within 10 days, including Maestro card, PIN number and your banksmart device. You should be able to get started with us at this point.

If you have any further questions on your Everyday account feel free to post them here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.

Regards,

Postbank

Thank you for the reply.

I was aware that the Maestro card was posted but I wasn't sure whether the banksmart device was.

Thanks!

Hi Timbuk2,

Sorry that we're only getting back to you now, have just seen this thread. As TheShark has already posted, all your materials should arrive within 10 days, including Maestro card, PIN number and your banksmart device. You should be able to get started with us at this point.

If you have any further questions on your Everyday account feel free to post them here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.

Regards,

Postbank

You would have gotten a visa debit card faster from halifax. At least that card will work everywhere.

I have found serious acceptance issues in Ireland with the postbank card. You would be lucky to have 60-70% acceptance levels.

I have found serious acceptance issues in Ireland with the postbank card. You would be lucky to have 60-70% acceptance levels.

Wow.. only 60% acceptance. I thought I was fine going for a non-Laser card as I thought Maestro was going to become much more popular.

Do you mean 60-70% acceptance for Maestro cards in general, or 60-70% acceptance for Postbank-specific Maestro cards?

There seems to be a problem with some of the applications used at NI and UK POS terminals , I have never encountered a problem in the US or across Europe and there is 100% acceptance at ATM's.

Does'nt take long to get the Maestro Card, if you open the account at a Post Office tomorrow, and all of your documentation is in order , you should have your card and PIN in about a week to 10 days.
Maestro is widely accepted by POS systems , although I and others have had problems at some terminals in the UK. I have used it widely across Europe and the USA without any problems.
You should also be aware that this is a Chip and PIN card only - it cannot be used for online/telephone purposes.

The business of not being able to use it online is a major drawback. I was interested but this means I will not open account.

Wow.. only 60% acceptance. I thought I was fine going for a non-Laser card as I thought Maestro was going to become much more popular.

Do you mean 60-70% acceptance for Maestro cards in general, or 60-70% acceptance for Postbank-specific Maestro cards?
I mean postbank cards.

Tesco is the big one. It has never worked there. Aldi is the other big one.
In petrol stations I would say that it is a 50/50 chance it will work.

The business of not being able to use it online is a major drawback. I was interested but this means I will not open account.
You can open a basic account in Halifax and they will give you a visa debit card. That can be used online worldwide. It is far superior to Postbank.

I might consider Halifax - there's a branch in Dundalk but I am a bit hesitant of putting money in a bank that may be closing (although I'm sure there's no reason to be worried as it may only be talk and my money won't 'dissapear' if they close).

I was in Aldi and Lidl today. Both of them had posters in the door saying they accepted Laser and Maestro. Is it just that the Maestro card from Postbank won't work in their machines (I didn't receive the card yet so I couldn't try it today)?

It will work in Lidl if they let you try it. Very often the staff member will not allow you to use it. "Laser only" is all they shout at you in broken English. No amount of protesting will work.

In Aldi, it does not work. They only accept Laser/Maestro cards and the postbank Maestro only card will not work. I have tried in the past.

Applied to open account day 1, card delivered day 5, which I though was very good.

I wonder are they snowed under with applications lately that may be slowing down application processing?

Hi. The Postbank Maestro card is accepted in over 95% of all retail outlets in Ireland. We can confirm that Tesco is fully operational with the Postbank Maestro card and has been for some time. Aldi, indeed does not accept Maestro cards at present. We are in touch with them and will be included in their next upgrade. Hopefully this has clarified the situation. Regards Postbank.

Aldi, indeed does not accept Maestro cards at present. We are in touch with them and will be included in their next upgrade. Hopefully this has clarified the situation. Regards Postbank.

Thanks for your reply. My local Aldi has a sign outside saying they accept Laser and Maestro (well they have the symbols for both cards). Does this mean the PostBank card will work there? (I still have not received it - opened account last Monday. As next Monday is a bank holiday, I'll probably receive it around Tuesday or Wednesday, and then I can try it out).

Back