Post 1995 Public Sector Pension

Fionclaire

Registered User
Messages
108
Hi Folks
I have started a new thread on this matter as I did not want to hijack others regarding the same topic, but felt the need to update other retirees who are/were confused as to how this whole integration works. Having retired in 2020, albeit started in 1978, I was always an A1 Prsi contributor, who had the benefit of retiring at 60, and shocked to find out I had to sign on for JSB at the age of 62, which I refused point blankly, as I was neither seeking/available to work, I had retired after serving 42 years, but so happy this has all now changed since 1st August 2024, (Circular 12/2024) which I do believe was as a result of many retirees coming down the tracks and disputing this whole process.
1. For anyone who has retired since 2019, please check out form ASC12, as you may be entitled to full or partial refund in the year of your retirement for the ASC contributions paid, as thresholds may not have been met if you have retired mid-year, only due if retiring/leaving or not re-entering the Public Sector.
2. Ensure if any deductions are made against your lump sum like S&C, pension arrears etc, that you claim the relief from Revenue via my enquiries. Just upload the revenue approved document given by PS employer, if done in same tax year, you may have to re-assign your tax credits/allowances, as potentially in the year of retirement you will end up with two employers - (1) the one you have just retired from, and (2) your now new pension provider employer. I was jointly assessed, so held off until I was completing my tax returns of 2020 in January of 2021, to reclaim such relief.
3. Part of your retirement bundle will indicate the use of a service decimal method, which is used for any pay parity pension increases, and I have attached a spreadsheet on how this all works, as the uprated pay is added to your supplementary pension value.
I hope this helps, and wish all retirees a very happy retirement.Screenshot 2025-07-20 at 11.30.46.webp
 
@Dr Strangelove, it could be seen as a pre 1995, as I started in 1978, albeit not one on a D1 stamp, not sure what the terms of 2004 entrant was, suspected it was similar, but ultimately it can be classed as post 1995, pre 2013 which is what my 1978/9 pension scheme converted to in 1995.
 
Thank you Fionnclaire, I retired as a post 1995 Garda retired mid 2022, sent off an ASC12 form to NSSO Garda paysection along with a covering letter looking for recalculation/refund etc for year 2022 today, having spoken to them yesterday, where i was asked did i fill out this form when i was retiring, i dont think i did and interestingly when i downloaded the form from government website, says form is from 2023!, so again thank you and we,ll see what happens
 
@stoves1, no problem at all. Happy to see fellow retiree's get what they are entitled to. Some folks on here, had their refund done automatically on their final payslip, without any form, while others had to submit the form, and then others were not aware such refund may be due in full/partial at all, but nonetheless they are entitled to the refund if due. It was poor fluke I came across a circular in my work file from DES Circular 0072/2019 and spotted another Circular DPER 21/2018, which led to my ASC contributions in year of retirement being refunded in full, albeit four years later. If you happen to re-enter public sector again, there is other forms to deal with on this matter. Good luck
 
Fionclaire, Many thanks sent form off with a covering letter, looking for a recalculation and stating i wil not be working in public service again, over €1k appeared in my bank ac yesterday, with my old works number as reference, i have not recieved any reply or statement as to how this was calculated or correspondence to date, but Well done to yourself on sharing this information, and i am sure there are hundreds if not thousands of public servants retired since 2019 that are entitled to same but know nothing about it, i have shared this info with some of my retired work colleagues who are also going to look for a recalculation, a quick search by me, on ASC says the first €35k of your wages the rate should have been 0%, thats why it is worth while for all to look for a recalculation of ASC from their employer, again many thanks
 
Thats great news @stoves1, every little helps. It's just a shame so few retirees/leavers know about this. I have since sent emails to all unions within my respective employer sector, and hopefully the word will be spread.
Thresholds attached for anyone seeking full/partial refund of their Additional Superannuation Contributions (ASC) attached herein.
 
I wonder whether the ASC refund is only for those who retired from the public sector mid-year? What about someone who moves from public to private sector mid-year?
 
My short take on it is that the public service employer takes a certain amount from your wages each week/month etc for that year, but ASC should not be taken until you reach a certain figure circa €34k, so if you leave the public service mid year, just claim it back via ASC12 form, to your public service employer, nothing ventured nothing gained!
 
Thanks for this. The big benefit from the 2024 circular is that you get the supplementary pension calculated on purchased as well as earned service. This was not always the case.

In my case I had purchased about 5 years which previously would not have been included in the supplementary pension calculation.

Should the supplementary pension increase with pay increases. I got the August increase on the pension but not on the supplementary pension.
 
I wonder whether the ASC refund is only for those who retired from the public sector mid-year? What about someone who moves from public to private sector mid-year?
It is for leavers also. Only applicable for the year of leaving or retiring, and worthwhile pursuing if one left mid-year, see thresholds above.
 
Should the supplementary pension increase with pay increases. I got the August increase on the pension but not on the supplementary pension.
Sadly, Circular 12/2024 has so many anomalies, currently pursuing with the FSPO and while no representation for retirees via unions, my union Forsa is aware of same, and is seeing the trend of complaints coming through. I hope to update in the near future, but as an appeal is in progress, it is only fair to hold out for final decision with the FSPO.
 
Last edited:
@DingDing, see latest update on this thread re notional service from @frannymac
 
Last edited:
Having retired in August 2020, Post 1995 - Pre 2013 Public Sector Pension with Department of Education, and a subsequent IDR process, in which case several references were made to one of the scheme handbooks, covering Clerical Officers/Caretakers/SNA/Primary & Post Primary Teachers, which I had neither sighted or was aware of same.
Thanks to a poster on here in AAM, I was able to retrieve, and these may assist others currently retired who was not aware of such updated superannuation handbooks specific to the Department of Education closed pension schemes. (Post 1995)
These were published in November 2020, albeit specific pension scheme manuals are dated April 2023, and last updated in April 2025.
 
The big benefit from the 2024 circular is that you get the supplementary pension calculated on purchased as well as earned service. This was not always the case.
Is that circular specific to DoE with respect to the supplementary pension calculation? I recently asked that question to my pension people and they categorically said it was only attached to earned service not purchased service. If it applies generally, could you post a link to it and I will engage further internally with my pension people. Thanks
 
Back
Top