Possible drug dealer moving in our nice quiet estate

Could you speak to your local Community Garda about your concerns/worries? The general situation and Garda vetting could be discussed. The Council's also have Depts who deal with tenants or anti-social behaviour. Insist on speaking to either in total confidence.

Selling your much loved home seems like a very expensive route to have to take in light of the current housing shortages situation.

Hope things work out for you as it is a very stressful situation to be in when you have young children. Best of luck.

Thanks Diver that's the type of information I was looking for. We thought we knew but seemingly it's a relative of who we thought whom we're trying to track down. What is the criteria when they're vetting do you know? If they have any type of conviction is the council obliged to let you know or is it only certain types etc? Thanks again.

The council vet potential tenants for any history of antisocial behaviour. I'm not entirely sure whether the council are obliged to let a landlord know of a potential tenants previous convictions but I would strongly hope that the placement of a known troublesome tenant in private accommodation wouldn't never happen in the first place if they are properly vetted.

In a shared private landlord/council long lease type scheme, the landlord still remains the landlord of all tenants placed in their property. Therefore, should any anti social behaviour occur, it would be the landlords responsibility to sort any issues out. Maybe the owner of this property will think twice before any keys are handed over.......

Anyone else concerned that the OP's local councilor thought it was ok to look up a constituent's applications and share them with the baying mob ... I mean ... local community?

Scurry,

From experience ,

1. When new people move in and no hassle = grand.
2. If new people create hassle , phone the landlord EVERY time , (its amazing how that works), no one likes to be narked and re-narked !

Anyone else concerned that the OP's local councilor thought it was ok to look up a constituent's applications and share them with the baying mob ... I mean ... local community?

Haha, baying mob, give me a break. The attitude of some people on here to ordinary folks trying to keep some local drug dealers from moving in beside them is amazing to me. I must look out for you looking to welcome these types into your neighbourhoods. I can see the headline now: "AAM do-gooders unite to welcome convicted drug dealers and travelers into their community with buns and free beer, aren't they great altogether." Sure don't they deserve it. Live and let live and all that.

Why would hard-working people, trying to pay their mortgages and give their kids a safe and peaceful upbringing/environment NOT want some neighbours like this, sure won't they add to the character of the place.

Seriously.

"Possible Drug Dealer Moving In Our Nice Quiet Estate" - That's the title of this thread. We don't know if the mover is a Drug Dealer or will continue drug dealing. Evidence here shows "possible" Drug Dealer. For argument's sake let's say he is a Drug Dealer. We don't know what kind of neighbour he will be. It is possible he will be a good neighbour. It is possible also that he won't be a good neighbour. If any new neighbour is a paragon of virtue, you don't know if he will be a good neighbour either.

Benefit of the doubt is important here. If you suspect the guy is still dealing in drugs after he moves in, then contact the Gardaí. Might be, could be, etc are useless. You need hard facts. Forget about the landlord, the community cop, the parish priest - Live and let live. Take action only if necessary; the country has enough window squinters already.

Reactions: jim
"Possible Drug Dealer Moving In Our Nice Quiet Estate" - That's the title of this thread. We don't know if the mover is a Drug Dealer or will continue drug dealing. Evidence here shows "possible" Drug Dealer. For argument's sake let's say he is a Drug Dealer. We don't know what kind of neighbour he will be. It is possible he will be a good neighbour. It is possible also that he won't be a good neighbour. If any new neighbour is a paragon of virtue, you don't know if he will be a good neighbour either.

Benefit of the doubt is important here. If you suspect the guy is still dealing in drugs after he moves in, then contact the Gardaí. Might be, could be, etc are useless. You need hard facts. Forget about the landlord, the community cop, the parish priest - Live and let live. Take action only if necessary; the country has enough window squinters already.

I've clarified in the thread he is a drug dealer. Currently. This is fact. The title should include the word 'that'.

Given the real world experience of the residents of the estate we've decided to try and make a stand before this family arrive into the estate and the current flow of traffic that goes to his door are diverted in past our houses. Maybe he's selling sweets or popcorn and is a philanthropist during the day when he's at home but we're thinking that's unlikely. There's also the possibility hecould have a road to Damascus moment when moving house but again we're not betting on it.

I understand why you don't want a drug dealer living on your road.

You did, however, throw in a few other comments that are unrelated to this:
All privately owned bar one which the council (much to our disappointment) leased off one person 6 odd years ago.
Where they live now there are with birds of a feather if you will
I can see how these come across as a bit insulting. Maybe keep to the issue at hand and skip the jibes, you might get more helpful advice and fewer off topic comments.

I think your best option is to talk to the landlord, perhaps he or she is unaware of what is going on. I can't see that anyone else has any influence on this.

Last edited:
Haha, baying mob, give me a break. The attitude of some people on here to ordinary folks trying to keep some local drug dealers from moving in beside them is amazing to me. I must look out for you looking to welcome these types into your neighbourhoods. I can see the headline now: "AAM do-gooders unite to welcome convicted drug dealers and travelers into their community with buns and free beer, aren't they great altogether." Sure don't they deserve it. Live and let live and all that.

Why would hard-working people, trying to pay their mortgages and give their kids a safe and peaceful upbringing/environment NOT want some neighbours like this, sure won't they add to the character of the place.

Seriously.

I like in Crumlin. There are many criminals (certainly alleged criminals, one assumes also convicted criminals) in my neighbourhood. There are travellers also. (Not sure why you conflate travellers with criminals but perhaps that's your experience.) I bought a house. I didn't buy an entire neighbourhood, so I don't get to dictate who lives beside me. If you don't want to live beside these people, move out or buy the house yourself. Your post is nimbyism. Presumably you understand these people must live somewhere .... ?

I maintain there is something disturbing about your local councilor disclosing this family's plans or applications.

Reactions: jim
In a properly run country that actually cared for its law abiding citizens, these people would live in Mountjoy or Portlaoise. Not in tax payer funded accommodation beside neighbours who work long days to pay their mortgages for similar houses.

Mountjoy and Portlaoise are tax payer funded accommodation.

Also, should the convicts bring their spouses and kids to prison with them as well? Or what should they do with their "s***bag" children?

Last edited:
Convicted criminals should certainly "live in prison". I don't think its fair to say that "these people" should be made to live in prison, delboy.

If the father is dealing drugs that's illegal and he is a criminal and he should be brought to justice and he should be accommodated in a fine prison cell instead of a nice housing estate with lovely neighbours.

I don't think one can, or should, dictate who their neighbours are but one can choose where they themselves live.

I couldn't agree more with Emma's comment above. Similar to Emma, I also bought a house in a "less affluent" part of Dublin recently but I am originally from the rural west of Ireland. I am very happy with where I live and my neighbours are fine in spite of the reputation attached to the area and to some of my neighbours.

Maybe my upbringing has instilled a certain naivety within me, and admittedly if I had a family I might look differently on the OP's plight. Or maybe my upbringing has resulted in me having a level of humility which gives people the benefit of the doubt.

As has been suggested, the OP could try and speak to the landlord to make his concerns known and this could lead to the outcome that he wants i.e the landlord might very well block this family from moving in to the house.

Last edited:
Mountjoy and Portlaoise are tax payer funded accommodation.

Also, should the convicts bring their spouses and kids to prison with them as well? Or what should they do with their "s***bag" children?
What can I say to responses like that!
I'll leave you all to it

Back