Pizza bases

Easeler

Any one know where I can source good pizza bases I recently purchased a pizza oven and my pizza bases are leaving me dow.

Make the dough yourself. Plenty of recipes out there. My recommendation is keep it simple and give it enough time to rest.
I think all those ready made pizza bases are crap, to be honest.
I had a go. might try again using the pizza flour, started buying the pizza base in Aldi not great.still better than them frozen pizzas.

If you went to the bother of buying a pizza oven then definitely make your own bases :) Once you have sorted out how to do it you can then freeze either the balls of dough or the rolled out bases ready to go.

I like to mix the dough in the evening and put in fridge overnight to prove, handiest way as you know it's getting a nice long slow rise, I'm always impatient with it if I make it during the day and am waiting to use it :)

Any one know where I can source good pizza bases I recently purchased a pizza oven and my pizza bases are leaving me dow.
Didn’t know you could purchase such a thing. Our local Italian sells all pizzas for a tenner. Though I haven’t bought one in a coupe of years. Last time I made one myself I just bought ready made pastry in the supermarket that is for quiches as I preferred that to the one they have for pizza.

If you’re making enough pizzas to justify the oven you’re doing really well on your five a day. In America pizza is officially classed as a vegetable.

Pizza oven wasn't that expensive it sits on top of barbecue, good job would bake a pizza in a couple of minutes, we don't have any pizza delivery here in rural Galway so we have to try and make our own. Nothing like sitting out on a summer evening with a good piźza and a nice glass of white wine.

I bought one of those electric pizza makers, I like it and I keep the home made bases frozen. I have lots of pizza places near me that would deliver and have never bought one from them, I like the home made version and I'm thrifty! Pack of fresh yeast is about 50c and flour is cheap too so you can make them for very little.

I use a sandwich wrap - the lidl ones are quite thick.

Gives a super thin crispy base pizza for about 15c. :)

Aldi have pizza base sauce - reformulate it by adding hot sauce / crushed garlic etc.

If you're making lots of pizzas, most bread makers have dough mixing settings that do a good job, take all the work out of it and give you a really consistent dough.

Make the dough yourself.

+1

I use this one: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4683/pizza-margherita-in-4-easy-steps

I've used a lot of different flours but the two best ones I can easily get are Odlums Strong Flour and Tesco Organic Strong Flour.

I usually make a batch at a go (about 20). I freeze each slice between a sheet of baking paper on the top shelf of the freezer.

For sauce, Mutti pizza sauce is incredible. It's in Tesco and probably every where else

My go to toppings:

Cooked ham chopped up into pieces
Salami
Onions & garlic finely chopped
Mozzarella
sliced baby tomatoes
Grated cheese

If having on a Fri I bake enough for lunch on Sat (just heat up)

I have a pizza setting on my oven that works great so check to see if you have one too

I use this Jamie Oliver recipe. I cut the excess into single base sized balls, wrap them in clingfilm, and freeze them.
Much nicer than any shop bought base.
I make my own tomato sauce which contains lots of sun dried tomatoes, roasted garlic, herbs, veg and red wine. That is also frozen in batches. Can also be used as a base for pasta sauces.
I used to use good quality buffalo mozzarella but to be honest on a pizza it's a waste of money. Just use the cheap stuff.

Last edited:
I use this Jamie Oliver recipe. I cut the excess into single base sized balls, wrap them in clingfilm, and freeze them.
Much nicer than any shop bought base.
I make my own tomato sauce which contains lots of sun dried tomatoes, roasted garlic, herbs, veg and red wine. That is also frozen in batches. Can also be used as a base for pasta sauces.
I used to use good quality buffalo mozzarella but to be honest on a pizza it's a waste of money. Just use the cheap stuff.

That's a good idea re wrapping the excess into balls - less space in the freezer.

Can't see the link to the Jamie recipe. Also, if you have a recipe for the sauce that would be great.

Maybe we could all have a bake-off!

That's a good idea re wrapping the excess into balls - less space in the freezer.

Can't see the link to the Jamie recipe. Also, if you have a recipe for the sauce that would be great.

Maybe we could all have a bake-off!
Sorry, link added.
It's my own recipe for the sauce so I'll have to think about it before I write it down.

Back