Peugot 206

liteweight

What can I realisticaly expect to pay for a second hand Peugot 206 (1999/2000)? Are there any particular problems to look out for?

Too rich for my blood!! I'm looking for a car for our daughter but I didn't intend to spend that much.

hi there,

I used to have one many years ago and i had nothing but trouble with it, in the end i got the nct on it and sold it. But before i sold it i was told by my garage that the head gasket was gonna go in it. (i dunno the truth in this) but everytime i drove it it was making these really werid screeching like noises.

I would expect to pay 5,000 for a 2000. i would not pay anything more, there is so many of those cars around and some dealers are really rip offs.

Maybe you would be better looking to get her a vw polo or something? At least you know it would be reliable. I know the 206 is a very good looking car perhaps this is why she wants it?
Will this be your daughters 1st car? Is she learning how to drive?

Missy06

Yes, it's her first car. She's 21 in August so it+Insurance+Motor Tax+NCT+Intensive driving Course is our gift to her.

As you can see, the above list comes with a hefty price tag and we don't want to buy a lemon!! Thanks Missyo6

Have to disagree. My 1st car was an old Peugeot 205 ) - feckin great car, was in college at the time and so never ever had the money for car service. Had it 4 years - never serviced once and never ever broke down or failed to start including snow. 2nd car was a 206 - again never had a bit of bother with this car bought it when it was 6 months old and had it for about 3 years - loved it, great car.

Yes, it's her first car. She's 21 in August so it+Insurance+Motor Tax+NCT+Intensive driving Course is our gift to her.

Wow!!! I was happy with a lovely pair of earrings!

Back to the 206... I bought my first one (new) in 2000. Got it serviced annually. Loved the look of it and had no problems with it so I bought another 206 (new) in 2005. Still no complaints about it.

Have to disagree. My 1st car was an old Peugeot 205 ) - feckin great car, was in college at the time and so never ever had the money for car service. Had it 4 years - never serviced once and never ever broke down or failed to start including snow. 2nd car was a 206 - again never had a bit of bother with this car bought it when it was 6 months old and had it for about 3 years - loved it, great car.

Thanks everyone!

Ney001, she's in college and I don't want to buy anything too expensive as, although she can drive, she's still a learner. The Insurance is punitive, although much better than when the eldest was 21!

God your a great dad!!haha anyway I am on my second 206,got 1 in 04 but was in an accident with it so thats gone then bougtha another 1 5months ago and its going great.I love 206 they are a lovely looking car and i never had problems with them,hope u get one cheap enough

How bout a mini (old model) - class car and built like a little tank - very cute too!

Peugeot 206 - nice to look at, cheap to buy, tax, insure, not very reliable but cheap to repair outside of main dealerships, has street cred, will hold residuals reasonably well.

Fiat Punto - okay to look at, very cheap to buy, tax, insure, very reliable and very cheap to repair at main dealership, has no street cred, will be worth nothing when it comes to resale.

Renault Clio - very nice to look at, cheap to buy, tax and insure, very reliable and cheap to repair outside main dealers. Has street cred and holds residuals very well.

€4,000 will get you a good one of any of the above.

Buy private. Steer clear of anything with too low mileage for year. Drive a couple of each. Take your time. Find one you like. Don't make an offer straight away. Let the seller think you're not really interested. Then arrive at their door unexpected with a handfull of cash. (Keep €500.00 hidden away just in case you need to sweeten the deal a little). You'll drive away in a bargain that night.

Thanks Magunkey. Will follow your advice.

One thing that I forgot to mention. If looking at a Clio make sure the bonnet catch has been upgraded by Renault. (Cheap little job). They do fail and the bonnet has been known to fly open and smash the windscreen even at low speeds. If it hasn't been done knock a few quid off the price and get it done straight away.

What about car auction? Any good? Do you have to bring a mechanic? What guarantees do you get with car?

car auctions are a minefield unless you know what to look out for in any particular make/model. Most of the cars that end up there do so for very good reasons. If you're looking for a doer upper or a short term junker you could do worse. Not for the faint hearted though!

Back