Pet hate - txt spk

What surprises is is why people use text speak when it is quicker to use predictive text and write normally using proper spelling.

I must admit to being somewhat of a pedant regarding proper use of spelling and grammar. My pet hate is the amount of people using this site that have tennants and tenents rather than tenants!

No offense was taken baldyman. I'm well used to it by now.

I quite often make a plonker of myself. I was in a supermarket a while ago looking at eggs, my mum was with me and i asked her "what are monk egg? are they a breed of chicken? Are they better than normal eggs?"

Well she couldn't speak she was laughing so much, so was the stranger also looking at eggs who managed through his own laughter to say to me " thats the company that makes them"

Or are after too much Tennents.

Hey baldyman27, you're slurring your spelling! You possibly mean Tennants. Or 'lunatic soup' as it is affectionately known by the student lushes across the Irish Sea.

samanthajane - chickens (among other things) make eggs, not companies. So you can laugh right back at them.

z

Ha zag, well if i ever say that again ( although hope i wont ) i'll remember to say that back to them.

He might not of actually said "make them" that could be me being a plonker again, but it was along those lines anyway.

I quite often make a plonker of myself. I was in a supermarket a while ago looking at eggs, my mum was with me and i asked her "what are monk egg? are they a breed of chicken? Are they better than normal eggs?"

Well she couldn't speak she was laughing so much, so was the stranger also looking at eggs who managed through his own laughter to say to me " thats the company that makes them"

Way off topic, but reminds of buying some budget "Glue free" laminate flooring in B&Q only for an indignant better half to ask the cashier when exactly are we going to get the "free glue" that is supposed to come with it.

... I was in a supermarket a while ago looking at eggs, my mum was with me and i asked her "what are monk egg? are they a breed of chicken? Are they better than normal eggs?"

So when did monks start laying eggs then?

Another thing I've noticed that is particularly annoying - people using exclamation marks after their thread titles when there is no need for them. An exclamation mark should be used after an exclamation.

Another thing I've noticed that is particularly annoying - people using exclamation marks after their thread titles when there is no need for them. An exclamation mark should be used after an exclamation.

I agree on this (text spk doesn't bother me that much unless there's too much of it).

There is a girl who emails me on 'work' issues. She can use up to 3 of them in one email which is very informal for a work email. I don't really mind the informailty but the exclamation marks drive me mad.

When I reply I do it very formally and what do I get back.

thanks!!!

How do you know it's not an exclamation? To you it might be just another thread about the price of glass bricks, to them it might be-' the cost of glass bricks!'

How do you know it's not an exclamation? To you it might be just another thread about the price of glass bricks, to them it might be-' the cost of glass bricks!'

It was a post not dissimilar to that which caught my eye today. If I saw the title which you have exampled, I would presume that the poster had got a nasty shock when they found out the price of glass bricks. Quite often though, I open threads like that to find that the poster is just wondering how much they might expect to pay for same. In that instance, an exclamation mark is both incorrect and unnecessary. A question mark would be appropriate.

Perhaps the poster is using an exclamation mark to try and draw more attention to the thread?

...and since the thread is about pet hates, have you noticed that increasingly a question mark is now being referred to as a 'question tag' ?

I find it hard to articulate exactly why it annoys me or how annoying it actually is, but put it this way; anyone who says this should have their eyes removed with a fork.

Last edited:
Back