Pet hate - txt spk

I find posts which use three full stops (...) instead of one to be very annoying.

A lot of posters use it and i wonder whether it has anything to do with the device being used to post.
It's called an Ellipsis and can mean a few things but mainly a pause (longer then a full stop) or an omitted word.

The thing that really drives me mad on this board is when people type paragraphs using no commas or full stops, so that you have to read their post several times to get their gist.

I read the first few words then phase out - like Smashbox & Caveat

that fecker james joyce has a lot to answer for hasn't he the little git wait til i see his mammy i'll give her a piece of my mind the piece i have to spare which is more than what she has in total the auld bag and as for blazes boylan and him in the tower in sandymount or in the boozer...

Zzzzzz:D

It's called an Ellipsis and can mean a few things but mainly a pause (longer then a full stop) or an omitted word.

I use this. Often. To mean "I'm not of sure my answer and I am still thinking" or "correct me if I'm wrong" or "wait for it..."

Text speak doesn't annoy me as much as abbreviations that make me resort to urbandictionary.com.

Then I think I am old.

Some posters use the "at" sign to address other posters for example @Baldyman etc. Why not just use the posters name? Again perhaps this is a convention somewhere on the internet.

I did not understand what that meant and was reading it as (at)
Did not understand why people would be saying saying "at Baldyman" etc and it was quite annoying.

My boss uses text speak in his e-mails and it is the talk of the Company. Some people are disgusted. Not sure how to break it to him though

I find posts which use three full stops (...) instead of one to be very annoying.

A lot of posters use it and i wonder whether it has anything to do with the device being used to post.

Ah, now I do that...it's not designed to be a full stop (in my case anyway). It's actually intended to be...a pause...to enable the reader to take a moment and digest the words fully.

Note:when I do it, there is not a capital letter following

I could explain where this technique came from but it would take took long but suffice to say it's a form of creative writing I used to do (online) years ago.

Will try and temper it a bit, just for you. :)

Last edited:

Im familiar with the Ellipsis and can understand how a poster might use one occasionally every ten posts or so. What I find annoying is users who use the Ellipsis or (..) or even (....) at the end of absolutely every sentence.

Can you imagine if newspaper articles or business reports were written in this fashion?

I use this. Often. To mean "I'm not of sure my answer and I am still thinking" or "correct me if I'm wrong" or "wait for it..."

This is the usage I find annoying.

Some posters use the "at" sign to address other posters for example @Baldyman etc. Why not just use the posters name? Again perhaps this is a convention somewhere on the internet.

I'm not sure of the origin of this convention, but it is how Twitter recognises a username within a tweet. (Twitter has its own dialect in which a post is called a tweet, which is a little bit sad. What's even sadder is that I'm familiar with it.)

@LDFerguson

Noted. I'll take your opinion on board before using it again. However, I would be interested in other opinions.

I use ellipsis a lot, usually to indicate a passage omitted in something I quote. Occasionally I use it as a device to imply that I am leaving out something that I might say myself, as a sort of biting-my-tongue suggestion.

For pauses, I use the typist's em-dash (--).

I use it too. Oh well.

LD, yes, Twitter does use the @username. However, I would only ever use it on Twitter, not on this forum where it doesn't have any significance.

If I was speaking directly to a user, I would start the sentance with their name.

I would also use the ellipsis a bit at the end of a post, sometimes instead of pointing out the glaringly obvious, other times to imply my wonderment at a poster's lack of cop on, basically to avoid insulting them outright.

For example, if a poster (and there are a lot who can't figure things logically) asks;

'I got a watertight written quotation from a reputable builder with excellent references to build my house for E50/ft2. Is this good value?'

(I'm exaggerating here to make my point) I would reply with;

'What do you think yourself...?'

This to me is better than saying 'Take an hour to ring around other builders for quotes, find out the prices of materials, do a couple of simple sums and you'll very quickly figure out that it is of course good value, you lazy dumbass.'

The ellipsis is much more civil and polite.

have to say sorry as i often put in...... ( or now i can use the correct word ellipsis ) you can all just skip my posts.

It annoys the hell out of me text talk, mainly cause i have to read it a few times before i might understand it, maybe i'm just getting old. My 9 year old son talks to his friends on msn using text talk and half the time i have no idea what they are actually saying to each other. There seems to be a new text word for something every day.

As for the spelling i always make loads of spelling mistakes i cant help it, i just cant spell very well. It would help to have a spell checker on this site. If there was i would use it. Often i have to google a word to get the correct spelling, and even then sometimes google doesn't know what i'm on about.

As for the spelling i always make loads of spelling mistakes i cant help it, i just cant spell very well. It would help to have a spell checker on this site. If there was i would use it.

Sam there is! Click on the tick with ABC on it when you're writing a post and follow the instructions!

Its with iespell.com, and everytime you write out a post, click on the same button after installation and it will spell check it for you!

As you can see, I don't use it too often either, but I know its there!

yeah baldyman27 dont be mean to me lol I'm a bit dyslexic.

Smashbox i've never noticed the spell check on here before, will help me out loads. I've even copy and pasted my post onto word and spell checked it that way before. Takes me longer to go through that, than to write the post in the first place.

Just tried to do it but it wont let me, i have to download it first.

Yeah Sam, you have to download and install a program first but its well worth it.

Shame on you bald man.

Back