Pending Separation; Advice

Mactha

Registered User
Messages
13
Dear Askaboutmoney community,

I've just joined the forum and it's a fantastic resource. Before posting, I've tried to read as much related content as possible already on here in respect of separation/divorce but decided maybe best just to ask my own question(s) and canvass as much opinion and hopefully benefit from the actual experience of others who have already been through the process as possible. I should also preface my question by saying I will obtain legal advice but also aware of the old "doctors differ" adage and thought there was merit in hearing actual real-life experience/opinions in parallel with seeing a solicitor. So my situation in brief is:
1) Two dependent children, both myself & my wife unfortunately agree marriage is over albeit the separation is not amicable.
2) Wife manages the home, undoubtedly has been the primary carer for our 2 children, does some part time paid work for cash & claims welfare. I work in the private sector in a well paid role albeit the industry is unstable & firm going through difficulties (not necessarily relevant I know but added just for context).
3) My wife is insistent that I leave the home as she blames me for the breakdown of the marriage and I have verbally agreed to do so as I don't believe the current environment is healthy or sustainable for any of us especially the kids who aren't having the opportunity to witness what a normal healthy married relationship looks like. I don't think it could be construed that I am abandoning the home but instead agreeing to leave at wife's behest.
4) My wife doesn't have the means to pay the mortgage which has a significant balance and term remaining and I want the children to remain in the home at least until they are college educated (if they choose to go to 3rd level). In other words, I have no desire for them to have to move.
5) I do have the means to fund the mortgage from my salary at the moment (or pay it off fully from savings) and am willing to do either rather than push for the house to be sold now (I accept if it went to court, the court would probably be reluctant to insist on a sale with the ensuing upheaval that might cause for the children so there is little merit in making an issue of mortgage payments etc. or being seen to play 'silly buggers' when there are means to fund it)
6) I want to us to try and arrive a fair and equitable position for both parties but fully expect that my wife (she has already given a verbal indication) will want the mortgage paid, house to be transferred 100% to her when discharged, significant ongoing maintenance and a significant proportion of the remaining cash assets (the vast majority of which is in my name although again I accept the courts would probably/definitely see this as joint marital assets).
7) I have an occupational pension scheme. My wife has no pension.
8) We have verbally agreed that when I move from the family home, the children will split their time living with mam and dad albeit in all probability they will spend 70% of their time with mum.
9) I think/hope we will try to arrive at a mediated settlement as I expect there would be a reluctance to declare in court that wife was in receipt of cash payments for 20 years.

My question(s) therefore is/are:

If i accept/agree that I will pay the mortgage fully, does leaving the family home now weaken any negotiating position I might have in respect of:

a) How the remaining cash assets or pension might be divided?
b) What might happen the family home when children are 23 and mortgage fully discharged?

Or should I insist on staying in the home until all matters are resolved via the legal process.

Thanks very much in advance for reading and taking time to offer an opinion. Mactha.
 
One important detail missing (I think), what age are the children or how long till when they're 23 ?
 
Last edited:
Where do you foresee yourself living if you move out and how will you fund this? Will you be able to accommodate the children when they would stay with you ?
What ages are the children (roughly) just to give context of how long it might be until they finish college.
I would be reluctant to pay off the mortgage in full.
 
Last edited:
leaving the family home now weaken any negotiating position I might have in respect of:
In my opinion, no. I've yet to see a judgement where X amount was deducted or added due to one or other parent leaving.

Or should I insist on staying in the home until all matters are resolved via the legal process.
There are those who believe and advise this course of action; given that a JS / Divorce can easily take two years, do you really want to be living in this situation & putting your children in this atmosphere for the next two years.

#1 recommendation is to look for mediation.
 
Last edited:
Ted has asked the fundamental question.

Where are you going to live?

Have you enough savings to buy another home?

That seems a priority over using your savings to clear the mortgage.
 
9) I think/hope we will try to arrive at a mediated settlement as I expect there would be a reluctance to declare in court that wife was in receipt of cash payments for 20 years.
As far as I know even a mediated settlement will eventually need to be brought to court/a judge to rule on and that will require both parties to file affidavits of means and welfare so this issue doesn't go away just because mediation may be an option.
 
agreed, but its the best place to start.
Yes, I agree. But I'm just pointing out that a mediated settlement isn't a way to avoid swearing legally binding affidavits of means and welfare that explain each party's situation. And to swear a false affidavit is a very serious matter.
 
Or should I insist on staying in the home until all matters are resolved via the legal process.

Definitely. Your wife appears to be looking for an awful lot at the moment and I do understand that we are only hearing one side of the problem at this stage.

Have seen it mentioned on AAM a lot in the past that this can be a long and expensive road so hang onto savings for both your benefit in the long term and don't waste it on extras like expensive accommodation.

You also don't know at this stage how the job situation will pan out.
 
Wife manages the home, undoubtedly has been the primary carer for our 2 children, does some part time paid work for cash & claims welfare. I work in the private sector in a well paid role albeit the industry is unstable & firm going through difficulties (not necessarily relevant I know but added just for context).
I feel that this is relevant - especially if you are signing up to pay all the mortgage, not live in the home, sign it over to your wife and also try to fund your own home, with significant ongoing maintenance and a significant proportion of the remaining cash assets given over.

I understand that you don't want your kids to experience the reality of life at the moment, but don't jump / agree to anything until you are 100% happy with the situation.
 
does some part time paid work for cash & claims welfare.

This is something you need to be very careful about.

It appears from what you are saying that your wife is defrauding the tax and welfare system.

After you are separated, that is her business. But while you are married, you might be held responsible. For example, as you are presumably jointly assessed, then you are making a false tax return.

I think that you should opt for separate assessment immediately so that it's her problem and not yours.
 
Thanks all for the opinions/feedback....much appreciated.
One important detail missing (I think), what age are the children or how till when they're 23 ?
@elcato Eldest is 18, youngest is 8.

Ted has asked the fundamental question.

Where are you going to live?

Have you enough savings to buy another home?

That seems a priority over using your savings to clear the mortgage.

@Brendan Burgess @niceoneted My immediate plan was to rent for 12 months whilst the judicial separation is formalised and then preferably purchase a modest house. Family home is worth circa 500K. I would be content living in a 3 bed semi and could purchase one for circa 250K which could be funded from current savings but I don't know if the process 'allows' for using such significant funds to buy another home and then decide on split of residual assets or if the assets are/should be divided first, and then it's my 'problem' as to whether I have sufficient funds to buy another house?
Yes, I agree. But I'm just pointing out that a mediated settlement isn't a way to avoid swearing legally binding affidavits of means and welfare that explain each party's situation. And to swear a false affidavit is a very serious matter.

Thanks @ClubMan. Appreciate the advice and had never considered that issue.
 
Thanks @DannyBoyD.
In my opinion, no. I've yet to see a judgement where X amount was deducted or added due to one or other parent leaving.
Definitely. Your wife appears to be looking for an awful lot at the moment and I do understand that we are only hearing one side of the problem at this stage.

Thanks @Sue Ellen and fully appreciate only one side of the story posted here. I am trying to give as accurate and balanced information as possible as otherwise I know the advice/opinions offered may not be as valuable as they otherwise might. My wife didn't want this situation and I can understand why she would now try to "squeeze every penny" but naturally I want to strike as good a deal as possible for myself too (after ensuring our kids needs are looked after first and foremost). And I guess I've no idea whether leaving the home at this point even though she is insistent that I do compromises the likelihood that I can negotiate as fair an outcome as possible (in terms of the financial position)
 
ouse to be transferred 100% to her when discharg
per above, you seem to be saying wife wants house signed over to her?
b) What might happen the family home when children are 23 and mortgage fully discharged?
Later on and per above, you then seem to be enquirying about what will happen to the house.

Im confused on this point, could you clarify?
 
I would be content living in a 3 bed semi and could purchase one for circa 250K which could be funded from current savings but I don't know if the process 'allows' for using such significant funds to buy another home and then decide on split of residual assets or if the assets are/should be divided first, and then it's my 'problem' as to whether I have sufficient funds to buy another house?

Is this your money at the moment? If so, go out and buy a house.

Don't go renting in this market.

Tell your wife you are buying a house and will move out when you have the house. She will then be happy that you are buying a house as presumably you both want to live separately as soon as possible.

It's a very good use of your money to buy a house and save yourself rent.
 
@Mactha google the following 'FINANCIAL RELIEFS IN MATRIMONIAL CASES by Siobhan Lankford BL' and read it. It gives a lot of information on proper provision. You should imho stay in the family home if you can & it is safe & talk to a solicitor. Both actions can still be done why you negotiate a settlement agreement. Best of luck.
 
Thanks @ArthurMcB. Yes, she does want the house signed over to her when the mortgage is fully discharged although I haven't consented to this as yet, which is why I asked my later question about what might happen it when the mortgage is fully discharged. In respect of wanting to "squeeze every penny", it is certainly not mere perception. On top of wanting the house, maintenance (which I accept she is entitled to), a lump sum, she also said that as part of any separation she wants a formal commitment that I will fund 100% of the kids 3rd level education costs even though one of the kids is only 8! So its definitely not just perception.
per above, you seem to be saying wife wants house signed over to her?

Later on and per above, you then seem to be enquirying about what will happen to the house.
My question was that if I agreed to pay the mortgage until fully discharged, would it weaken my negotiating position if I suggested the house be sold and proceeds divided at that point (i.e. when the kids are 23) if I was to leave the home now as she wants.
Tell your wife you are buying a house and will move out when you have the house. She will then be happy that you are buying a house as presumably you both want to live separately as soon as possible.
Thanks @Brendan Burgess and agree fully that rent is dead money especially in today's market. Yes, the 250K would come from "my" money or my own accumulated savings but I was concerned the courts would view it as joint or marital assets and by extension might view any significant purchases such as a house in a very negative light in any later legal proceedings? How much of a risk is it that it could be construed as effectively reducing the family assets by 250K when I knew a legal separation process was about to commence?

Maybe another question that I should have asked originally. Am i actually entitled to remain in the family home indefinitely even though the marriage is over or can I be compelled/forced to leave it? Important to note that there was/is no domestic abuse nor substance abuse of any kind, irresponsible use of money etc. - the marriage is just irretrievably broken. I appreciate this might appear to contradict my previous comments about moving out (which remains my intention) but just wondering what the legal position is if I did indeed refuse to move?

@Mactha google the following 'FINANCIAL RELIEFS IN MATRIMONIAL CASES by Siobhan Lankford BL'

Thanks @HappyLuck.
 
Every case differs and no legal separation/divorce proceedings seem to have been initiated yet here, but when mine were ongoing my solicitor advised me not to make any major changes to my finances until the process was completed. An investment opportunity had arisen that I was considering but I had to defer that until I was actually divorced. If it was me I'd be talking to my solicitor before doing something as drastic as buying a second property.
 
Back
Top