PC World Web in Ireland now suspended

DublinTexas

can edit posts
This is what I got when I just tried to open pcworld.ie to check some prices:

pcworld.ie account suspended due to non-payment by client.​

How funny is that?

Pretty ironic alright.

Currys still haven't gotten around to getting their website up and running. How poor do they think internet penetration is in ireland?

[broken link removed] was mentioned in a recent thread on here if that's any use.

Pretty ironic alright.

Currys still haven't gotten around to getting their website up and running. How poor do they think internet penetration is in ireland?

Themselves and Dixons have had "New Website coming soon" on their websites now for well over a year (if not two).

I am pretty sure though I read something with their MD when Dixons in the UK went online only saying they do believe internet penetration in Ireland is too poor to justify that (though one would think by now some sort of online presence would be warranted).

You can get online discounts in Powercity - when I went into the store they gave me the same discount so saved me a trip :)

You can get online discounts in Powercity - when I went into the store they gave me the same discount so saved me a trip :)

It's a great service. I ordered a Nespresso Coffee maker which was already far cheaper there then anywhere else and got a further discount online. Within about an hour they rang me to confirm and said they'd have it in my local store within a few days. I normally wouldn't have gone to Power City but I would recommend them after that.

On topic, PC World and Currys site have been like that for years. It's ridiculous, Argos also have a cut down version of their UK site and a lot of the products simply still aren't on the site (though it is improving). Homebase simply sends you to the UK site with no conversion.

I did a webmaster course back in '99 and used their 'site' as an example of poor information. i.e. Coming Soon with no dates etc. So they're site has been coming soon for nearly 9 years now. Pretty much sums up their attitude to Irish customers

Pretty much sums up their attitude to Irish customers
Yes it does, and probably for very good reason.

Irish customers (in general) just don't seem to be using the internet for purchases, compared to UK customers. Why, then, would a company spend the money developing the website?

Yes it does, and probably for very good reason.

Irish customers (in general) just don't seem to be using the internet for purchases, compared to UK customers. Why, then, would a company spend the money developing the website?

Can't agree with that. Lots of the major sites like komplete, expansys, thomann etc all have Irish versions of their sites and do good trade in Ireland. How can you buy stuff on a website that doesn't exist?

To maintain their profile & provide information on what they're selling?

Perhaps to provide some self-service technical support?

I'd often look up a website for a shop before deciding if it's worth the hassle of driving there.

I buy loads of stuff online, book tickets, buy software, books etc. However, the majority of Irish people don't.

It really annoys me when I see these dead sites too, but unless more Irish people start using the internet for commerce, I can't see it changing any time soon.

(Note: I'm generalising here, people reading this obviously do use the internet - to an extent)

I'd often look up a website for a shop before deciding if it's worth the hassle of driving there.
It's interesting the note that your name is 'Technologist' - yet often the reason you look up the site is to see if it's worth driving to the bricks and mortar shop!

This is what I got when I just tried to open pcworld.ie to check some prices:

pcworld.ie account suspended due to non-payment by client.​

How funny is that?

I reckon this was something like they got the office manager to register the domain, and she has since left the company, so the domain has been forgotten about (or at least, there is no one taking responsibility for it.)

These things can happen...

It's interesting the note that your name is 'Technologist' - yet often the reason you look up the site is to see if it's worth driving to the bricks and mortar shop!
:confused:What's your point? That waiting for a mail order delivery is somehow more high-tech than finding out online who's got what I need and going to the shop, paying for it and bringing it home?

OK.

According to euromonitor.com in 2007 we spent an estimated 400million with online shopping. The UK were estimated to have spent 18billion. Big difference but given population differences and the state of our broadband over the last few years it's still impressive.

There is a market there, and I don't think your correct Leghorn in saying that only a few of us do shop online. I know a lot of people I wouldn't rate as technical or net savvy who still shop online a lot. More and more people have office jobs connected to the net all their working day, not a day goes by that the girls in my office aren't on Next's website or Asos or eBay.

:confused:What's your point? That waiting for a mail order delivery is somehow more high-tech than finding out online who's got what I need and going to the shop, paying for it and bringing it home?

Ordering online is more high-tech. It also cuts out the need for a physical shop and associated overheads.
In addition, what if the shop is not local? Advantages of online commerce is wider choice and not having to travel.

we spent an estimated 400million with online shopping. The UK were estimated to have spent 18billion. Big difference but given population differences and the state of our broadband over the last few years it's still impressive.
Thanks for the figures wheels.

€400,000,000 Vs €18,000,000,000
That's 45 times more.

The population difference is about 14 or 15 times more, so you can see there's a huge discrepancy. I'm sad to say that this unfortunate figures illustrate my point beautifully.

[NOTE: I've just received an 'AAM Warning' for posts on this thread!, so this'll be my last post on the matter.]

Ordering online is more high-tech. It also cuts out the need for a physical shop and associated overheads.
In addition, what if the shop is not local? Advantages of online commerce is wider choice and not having to travel.

I doubt he'd be driving a hundred miles when he could order it, but when the shop is around the corner or close by it makes sense to travel to it. It also makes sense to look said shop up before you go, which is something I almost always do.

Back