PC World faulty items returns policy.

machalla

I went against my better judgement and bought a wireless keyboard and mouse (relatively expensive one too) from PC World last week.

Got home plugged in and found a key seemed to be constantly stuck on it though there was no key actually stuck on the keyboard.

Having brought it back to them (with full packaging and receipt of course) they then refuse to do anything much about it since the serial number on the keyboard didn't match the box! They also claimed that the keyboard had been opened up and was not the keyboard that matched the box. They did confirm the keyboard was faulty.

So it seems to me that they have sold me a faulty second hand item as new and are now refusing to resolve the issue. Either one of their staff has swapped a faulty keyboard for a working one or else the manufacturer is doing so.

I would be interested in hearing of similar problems with PC World. I expect to be taking this up with the small claims court since it seems they are selling what they claim to be new items when in fact they are not new nor in fact even working.

I wish I'd just listened to my head and never gone near them in the first place mind you. Bit late now of course

I don't see how the serial number issue is your problem. Presumably the box was not shrink wrapped? Maybe you can see others in the store in the same condition (and point this out to them)? Either way if the goods are faulty then you are entitled to a replacement, repair or a refund. See ConsumerConnect for more.

The implied excuse which they did not outright say was that I had switched a broken keyboard in for a new keyboard and was attempting to con them in some way. I certainly took it in that way and was less than impressed obviously. You would think they had discovered some elaborate plot based on what I was seeing and hearing from them.

Thanks for the link Clubman that will come in useful.

My Brother bought a laptop with PC World in January. In February it developed a fault, we went a couple of times to get it fixed, first time he was told there was nothing wrong with it because the fault never occured when they were looking at it,Then i went up with him and they said it would get fixed quicker if they sent a courier out to collect it and fix it. The courier never showed up after 4 weeks, my brother had stayed in the house on different days waiting for a courier to show up and wasted his time ringing up PC World and the courier company about a collection time. He submitted a claim in the small cliaims court, at the end of March. The small claims court rang him last week to see have PC World contacted him. They hadn't until friday and offered to have someone out today and some compensation. They have absolutely no customer service at all. I would never buy off them at all or Dixons.

Hi,

Here is my experience with them.

Last August my friend for a birthday present bought me an Epson photo printer. I never actually opened it until October and when I turned the printer on initially an error code displayed.

I tried everything from reading the manual to troubleshooting online. Nothing worked.

I called to the store and explained my problem and was told to take the product back for refund/replacement as this error was not fixable.

I got the receipt from my friend and brought back the entire unit complete with packaging. The guy I had spoken to had left.
No refund or replacement was offered but the unit was to be sent to Epson for analysis.

On 23rd of February I received a call from the store telling me the unit was going to be replaced by Epson and would be sent out to me directly from their factory.

Two weeks later I was posted out from the store the leads,manual etc.. in a torn envelope which I assume were the ones I had returned.

To date I have never received anything else from either Epson or PC World.
The Waterford store never ever answer their telephone. I have rang PC World's customer care line (UK Based.. I think) to be told it is not an issue for them to handle.

Anyone know where I go from here?

Last edited:
first time he was told there was nothing wrong with it because the fault never occured when they were looking at it
In this sort of situation it might be an idea to take a (digital) picture of the machine when the fault occurs to corroborate the fact that the fault does occur sometimes. Then you can show this to the retailer in case the fault does not exhibit itself while they are looking at it.

Also - if anybody is finding it difficult to pursue their statutory rights in a situation like this then at least write a formal letter of complaint to the store (manager or head office) and then consider taking things to the Small Claims Court. Mention the latter in the letter as one option that you are considering. A Google search for the term "how to complain" throws up some useful guides to phrasing a letter of complaint for best effect.

they said it would get fixed quicker if they sent a courier out to collect it and fix it. The courier never showed up after 4 weeks,

I thought PC WORLD have a repair centre in store with experts where you can hand in computers which give you trouble ?

You must be joking. :D Experts? LOL!

If you bring anything back to Dixons/PC World/Currys they will not want to know and they will refer you to the manufacturer.

I've seen in Blanchardstown for example, pc world have a whole part of the store where you can drop a pc in to be repaired with technicians where they can run tests and find out whats wrong . Its not that complicated to do in my view.
I ve gone to this desk with little questions sometimes (not very recently actually it must be 2 years since I ve been there) and the staff were friendly but there was maybe one guy who knows what hes talking about who manages them and was hard to track down but he answered some pretty complicated questions I posed.

If something fails under warranty they wont accept it back there?

I have had the whole "Not our problem guv, you will have to contact (company name) etc for a replacement etc" This would be on something you bought only a week ago!

They can't do that.

Tell them you're not claiming under warranty and that you're asserting your rights under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act.

Check this site: [broken link removed]

"I thought PC WORLD have a repair centre in store with experts where you can hand in computers which give you trouble ?"

I did go to that desk, they said it would be quicker to send it back to the manufactuer. As if they took it in he was 4 weeks backlodged.

I thought PC WORLD have a repair centre in store with experts where you can hand in computers which give you trouble ?

Umm... If you were an expert on computers, would you be working for PC World!!

Towger

Umm... If you were an expert on computers, would you be working for PC World!!

Towger

OK you win :D haha .. the type of thing they would deal with Im guessing reinstalling a problem computers operating system with a fresh one and transferring data to a separate drive while reinstalling , installing peripherals and extra drives and memory etc you could learn to do with a few night classes.

About the service they provide. I always though their selling point was that someone who fears technology can speak with a member of staff in person but going from the experiences in this thread If you cant bring something back personally to the store and have them look at it there then I dont see any advantage over companies like Dell .

For home PC support I think you'd be better getting a recomendation to a local PC repair guy, than going to somewhere like PC World. Theres been lots of reports here and there about people having problems with repairs and warranty returns via PC World. Personally I've never had a problem with normal returns though.

We bought a digital camera package (i.e camera & photodock printer) in Dixons, took it home, opened it up and the camera wouldn't work. I brought just the camera back and they agreed to a replacement but advised me to being in the printer as well and they would replace the whole package. Fair enough, my husband brought the whole lot back and they refused to exchange it for a new one. Eventually he got sorted but only by threatening to report them to Consumer Affairs and take them to the Small Claims Court.

3 months later we bought a pc from them, got it home and it never worked properly, took ages to boot up and then constantly crashed if we tried to load any software. Phoned them up 2 weeks after buying it and got nowhere, they didn't want to know. Eventually said they would send someone out to look at it, they did and we need a new mother board (after 2 weeks!), they ordered the part and told us it would take a month to get the part in. We took advise and we were told that Dixons did have the right to offer a repair but if it wasn't done within a month we could demand a replacement or our money back. The part arrived in 2 days after the month's grace so we brought the computer back to Dixons' - they refused to take it back. We had to phone their Head Office in the UK, the manager there had my husband holding on one line while he phoned Dixons and argued with the manager in Dixons. We eventually got our money back.

I would suggest the OP phone the UK Head Office - it was the only way we got satisfaction and even then Dixons in Liffey Valley were refusing the instructions from HO. I would also threaten them with consumer affairs and the small claims court

Back