Paypal - unauthorised transactions

It strikes me that this could be someone bearing a grudge. They might not want to take delivery at all. The object could possibly be to cause you as much hassle as possible. How are you going to prove you didn't order if it was done with your card, your phone number and delivery address is also yours??

Sorry, missed that detail about what was ordered. Still intrigued by the mobile phone number though.

You didn't respond to any paypal "phishing" emails by any chance?

Have you checked the browser history? Long shot but you never know.

Yeah I was too, but I'm not sure what details the sellers receive when they get an order. They receive my address (which is actually my old one) for sure, but mayeb PayPal send on my phone number as well?

Alternatively, if someone HAD hacked into my PP account, they would be able to see this anyway.

I've checked my ebay and it wasn't purchased through there, so these are sites (I think) that must accept PayPal payment.

Liteweight, yip that's what's worrying me too. The bank (Bank of Ireland) refused to stop the transactions as they said it's a direct debit from PP to my card, not a card transaction. MBNA (my other card) accepted the cancellation and stopping of transactions straight away, although I don't think the guy I was speaking to knew as much about PP.

PS: Would ignore any emails saying they were from PP. I would consider myself fairly au fait with phishing scams, etc.

If it's your old address, perhaps your post from the bank was sent there?

We had a fraudulent transaction on MBNA last week...again through Paypal. MBNA put OH straight through to Paypal who immediately agreed it was a fraudulent transaction. We had been in Barcelona and only used the card twice, once to pay hotel and again to pay for a meal. Apparently Gerry Ryan always warns people on his show that cc fraud is rife in Barcelona. Looked it up on the net and someone else who had been scammed, claimed the only place he used his card was in a very high class restaurant. Think we were in the same restaurant. Surely these people can be traced if this is the case.

I don't understand the banks reaction. Did you ever sign a dd mandate? If not then they have no right to accept one. I think Paypal are insured against this sort of thing so maybe it'll be ok for you financially in the end. I'd definitely try to get to the bottom of it. Someone out there has far too much personal information on you. I read some statistics last week on the amount of identity fraud going on in Ireland and it was seriously scary! I'm beginning to think that the few bob I spent in Argos on a shredder is the best thing I've done in a long time.

The only solution is someone guessing my password/hacking into my PP account.

I have learned one valuable lesson though - keep a completely separate password for PayPal and change it regularly. (And yes, I know I should have already been doing this!)

maybe someone guess it right..i think that can be slim...have u ever place paypal order with a public pc?

Nope. Not that I can think of. I would only ever have used three computers:

1. Work Mac (not p'word protected, but office would be secure out of hours)
2. Parents computer
3. My laptop (securely stored at home)

That's a worrying turn of events. I'd recommend scanning the PCs you use for Viruses/Malware/Spyware. It's possible that there may be a keylogger on one of these.

I use a Mac - any recommendations for software? My company Mac is scanned for viruses on the network, but my laptop (again, a Mac) is probably not secure.

turn on the firewall...and install anti-virus software if not there

You are very unlikely to be a victim of worms, viruses or spyware if you use a mac. But yes, make sure to set up the software firewall in OS X.

Have you ever clicked on a link in an email? Fraudsters spoof emails from paypal, clicking a link in the email brings you to a site that looks like paypal, asking you to enter your login details.

yep, so as those Lotto email/ unclaimed Lotto/ next of kin left you a lump sum of millions..anything which require your bank details/personal details. are most likely scam.

Nope haven't clicked on any emails. Never open 'em! (Mind was tempted by the offer of 25% of $28m this morning, but didn't think it was a generous enough offer!! :)

Just to let you know, Paypal have approved my claim of unauthorized transactions and said they will refund the money. No explanation mind, which I am a little peeved at, but perhaps they don't know?

in most cases they doesn't like giving the information to the customer as this give a negative impression to customer how vunlerable their system is. if you really want the matter to be followed up, contact the Gardai Fraud Squad and ask for a contact person in Ebay and let the fraud squad know whos dealing with the case.

I'm told they don't give details in case the client is so annoyed they persue the matter themselves e.g. ring fraudster. This is called 'tipping' and you can be charged for doing it!:eek:

I could tell you who my informant is but then I'd have to kill ya!

yes, so much for DATA PROTECTION ACT of 1998.
in some case yeah he customer want that so bad to kick their ass.
i would recommend people to acquire the contact name from Paypal in this case and Gardai also pass on the paypal contact details to the gards to speed up their investigations! the gards do respond quick by setting up sting delivery and "NICKED" those criminals!

Back