Paypal - unauthorised transactions

sun_sparks

Arrived into work this morning to find over €1,000 worth of unauthorised transactions on my PayPal account.

I've reported them, but they take 10 days (!!!!) to investigate and respond.

What should I do? I've changed the password.

Two suppliers have contacted me, one to confirm my delivery address and quoting my Mobile PHONE NUMBER!!!

Am a little freaked by this tbh. Used PayPal because I thought it was secure...

looks like ur password is a little too simple..only 4 digit i guess..

tell the seller that this is a fraud transaction and tell them not to proceed.

definitly looks like someone got into ur ebay account and order it off..check if they have changed the delivery address too..if theres a different name and address..pass that on to the gardai..maybe they can set up a sting and catch those bastard!

Hi Polo,

Nope - 7 letters and 2 numbers. But I'm thinking perhaps I use it too much... time to go through my regular sites and change it.

that sound secure enough..unless the computer have stored the password on the pc and someone got into it and place the order ?? very unlikely the paypal account can be hacked into..

i think this is getting technical..the way to pin point where the transaction were placed is to locate its IP address. and subsequently the IP address can tells you which country and area.
most importantly u contact the seller and get the goods stopped asap.

but this is up to Paypal to locate the address as you do not have the access to do it..maybe u can provide your IP address etc

Thanks Polo - just been told be the bank that they cannot stop the transactions as it's a direct debit with Paypal. GRRR

Am sooooo annoyed here.

Got two emails from "sellers" to confirm purchase - would I be ok in emailing them back??

Can you get the details of all the purchases and contact the sellers? Your best option is probably to try and cancel the purchases.

definitly..tell them its a fraud transaction and someone uses ur details to place the order. once they know its a fraud they know u are not messing about they are most likely to get it stopped/returned.

if the goods can be stopped prior to dispatch then u may be able to get the full refund

Emailed the two that I can contact. One mail bounced back (after they had sent ME a mail to confirm), which is odd?

Polo - not sure I like the use of the "may be able to get the full refund". Do you think it's likely I won't???

i meant the delivery charge occur will not refund to you. you should be protected by paypal as this is a fraudulent case. but this is rather odd as the delivery address is your home address. and all details is your own detials, correct?
unless those people wants the goods delivered to ur doorstep and know the fact that nobodys home , so they can wait and pick it up there.
what did they order anyway?

Web hosting, web domain and email marketing services, so the delivery address wouldn't matter...

what a surprise, hey???

THATS crazy..web service for 1000 euro.

if i were u i will get to the bottom of this and repoprt the whole incident to the police!

five transactions actually for €1000.

What could the gardai do? Chances are (well hopefully, so the IP address will stand out) that it's from outside the jurisdiction.

i think that is up to the gardai, they will evaluate if the information given can lead to successful prosecution of those people, in most case they will keep it on file if the amount involved is so small that its not worthwhile to go futher on the case.

good luck with the refund etc.let me know how it goes.

1000 euro stolen like that will make me nuts!

Two suppliers have contacted me, one to confirm my delivery address and quoting my Mobile PHONE NUMBER!!!

I'd say the fact that the fraudster has your password AND your mobile number narrows it down a bit. The fraudster doesn't appeared to have changed the delivery address so perhaps they are hoping to intercept the delivery. Is the delivery address your work address? Do people at work know your mobile number?

no man, its a web page service..which is rather odd to be selling on ebay??

Back