Passport renewal for child

Purple

I'm in the process of renewing my daughter's passport.
I've made the online application and I've printed the Identity and Consent form and the Cover Sheet.
The application said that I would receive an email with information on any additional documentation required. I haven't received that email. Both parents have signed the consent form. Her last passport is less than 6 months out of date.

Does anyone know if there is any additional documentation required? As far as I can there there is none but I'm not certain.

there is no additional docs. I renewed two kids passport in the last month. One arrived within the indicated time frame. The second i allegedly did something wrong on the the consent form!

Hey @Purple - I think that is all the documentation that is needed. When did you post in the consent form & header sheet ? There should be an email sent to you so as to track the progress of the passport application, similar to below, from address: From:[email protected]
Application Number: 1234567890987

Dear XXXXXX

Thank you for using our online service to submit a passport application for CHILD'S NAME.

We have received your child's application for a passport book. We will only start to process your application when we receive the documents listed below. Please submit:

Cover page
Child Passport Identity and Consent Form

If your child’s passport book and/or card has more than 6 months validity remaining or if you are applying to change their name, you must submit the book and/or card to the Passport Service for cancellation.
This does not apply if the book or card is lost or stolen.

You can track your child's application's progress using your child's application number from tomorrow on the link:https://dfa.ie/passporttracking/

@Purple , the email should have been generated from the online application you made. Have you checked through spam folder / filters ?

I just found out that my sons TY group may be going on a foreign trip and he needs his passport in September for the booking.
Hoping to get everything signed etc and do it online. Worried that he wont get it in time now.
I've heard that there has been wirh passport office unable to contact gardai who acted as witnesses. Anyone know can i get a relative in the garda to sign?
Last time we physically went to garda station and used passport express, but apparently that's dreadful now.

I just found out that my sons TY group may be going on a foreign trip and he needs his passport in September for the booking.
Hoping to get everything signed etc and do it online. Worried that he wont get it in time now.
I've heard that there has been wirh passport office unable to contact gardai who acted as witnesses. Anyone know can i get a relative in the garda to sign?
Last time we physically went to garda station and used passport express, but apparently that's dreadful now.
No. The form states that the witness cannot be related to the child. But it's not just a garda. It can be teacher, priest, engineer, bank manager, accountant. All the typical pillar of the community jobs back in the 1960's.

My daughter just finished TY. My advice is apply for the passport now. I applied for my daughters (renewal) by An Post Express service. The passport office received the application at the end of February 2022 and I got the passport mid May last month. My daughters passport was expired by 6 or 7 years. In TY year there will be trips and outings where they will be asked to produce photo id. For example in early March my daughters school had a trip planned to Dail Eireann and they were told oh make sure you all have valid id passport etc; because my daughter didn't have hers she had to opt out of the day at Dail Eireann. It's crazy we genuinely didn't realise she would need her passport for TY year. Also another warning for certain Job Placements they will need Garda Vetting, for example my daughter wanted to gain work experience in a primary school but was told last minute oh you need Garda Vetting, and apparently that takes 6 weeks or so. Good Luck.

My daughter just finished TY. My advice is apply for the passport now. I applied for my daughters (renewal) by An Post Express service. The passport office received the application at the end of February 2022 and I got the passport mid May last month. My daughters passport was expired by 6 or 7 years. In TY year there will be trips and outings where they will be asked to produce photo id. For example in early March my daughters school had a trip planned to Dail Eireann and they were told oh make sure you all have valid id passport etc; because my daughter didn't have hers she had to opt out of the day at Dail Eireann. It's crazy we genuinely didn't realise she would need her passport for TY year. Also another warning for certain Job Placements they will need Garda Vetting, for example my daughter wanted to gain work experience in a primary school but was told last minute oh you need Garda Vetting, and apparently that takes 6 weeks or so. Good Luck.
Great thank you for the advice! He needs the passport for September apparently in order to book a trip away. Hadnt thought of it at all being honest.
Thank you for the heads up regarding garda vetting. Any idea if he would need the placement first then vetted just for that?
I remember few years back i had to be vetted for coaching little athletics and separate vetting for scouts. Took so long. Thank you, really appreciate it

As far as I know, you have to be vetted for a specific role and separately each time for roles that require it. I don't think that there's any way of getting "preemptive" general vetting.
Ok thank you. I remember it was like that few years back and really slowed things down. Good to be caware of this in advance for TY. Wouldn't have thought it was needed for that age group (15/16 year olds)

Has anyone just taken the digital photo themselves ? Orcwould you recommend going to one of thosephoto boots?

I submitted an online application on 23 May. Documents should have reached the passport office by about 3 June but only showed up as "received" on the tracker on 9 June.

Today (24 June) I checked on line and see that the passport book is being printed.

So it seems about three weeks from receipt of documents to printing at the moment for a child renewal, most likely four weeks when you factor in post at both ends.

I submitted an online application on 23 May. Documents should have reached the passport office by about 3 June but only showed up as "received" on the tracker on 9 June.

Today (24 June) I checked on line and see that the passport book is being printed.

So it seems about three weeks from receipt of documents to printing at the moment for a child renewal, most likely four weeks when you factor in post at both ends.
Ok thats good to know. Ive just submitted my sons application on line and now need to get consent form sorted. His other parent lives in a different county so could take a while to get it all signed. Need it for september so hopefully no big issues.
I heard that adult renewals are turning around in about a week.
Can you post up once you receive passport please?

His other parent lives in a different county
I assume they take a risk-based approach to scrutinising child applications and my guess is that parents who reside at different addresses are much more likely to have the application doubled checked. So do it in good time and if possible get the same person to witness both parents' signatures.

Can you post up once you receive passport please?
Will do!

Has anyone just taken the digital photo themselves ? Orcwould you recommend going to one of thosephoto boots?
We did it for ours, he was smiling but they accepted it.

All depends on your child and how easy you think it might be to get them to sit still in one of those booths. At least at home you can get them at their calmest and it's not a big deal to quit and try later if they're not in the mood.

Back