Parking outside house buggy owner annoyed

I dunno what the fuss is about. I'll bet most people here have parked wheels up on a pavement at some point.
It's illegal anyway - but if you're blocking the pavement so that a person in a wheelchair or a person pushing a pram or buggy is forced out on the road to pass the car, it's at least inconveniencing and potentially seriously endangering them. The inconvenience isn't minor either. Have you tried negotiating multiple kerbs in a wheelchair because someone's blocking the path? I've seen people having to do that, and it can mean moving backwards to the nearest point the kerb is dished, around the vehicle, and then unable to get back onto the kerb for another few metres afterwards.

That's what the fuss is about.

I dunno what the fuss is about. I'll bet most people here have parked wheels up on a pavement at some point.

If pedestrians regularly walked on the road and forced you as a driver to drive around them, would you be happy? Same applies, it's just courtesy (and the law).

Well, you guys have all made your point with great conviction, I dont think the op parks there for the fun of it, We have all parked on foothpaths, so less of the holy joes. Purple was right to make the point, room has to be left for fire-tenders and the like. A little less ganging up please.

It's illegal anyway - but if you're blocking the pavement so that a person in a wheelchair or a person pushing a pram or buggy is forced out on the road to pass the car, it's at least inconveniencing and potentially seriously endangering them. The inconvenience isn't minor either. Have you tried negotiating multiple kerbs in a wheelchair because someone's blocking the path? I've seen people having to do that, and it can mean moving backwards to the nearest point the kerb is dished, around the vehicle, and then unable to get back onto the kerb for another few metres afterwards.

That's what the fuss is about.

I never said it wasn't illegal, or that you shouldn't block people. But you can often park wheels up on the pavement and still leave lots of room. We have lots of pavements which are extremely wide, but with little or no foot traffic on them. Where I live it varies from places with path, cycle track and a grass verge, probably about 9m wide, to places where theres no footpath at all. No consistency at all.

You may even park on a road perfectly legally, and then someone else parks opposite you, causing a problem. No one is going to care who parked there first.

Jaywalking like that NEVER happens in Ireland :rolleyes:

A little less ganging up please.
Don't really think it is a case of ganging up LS400, advise was asked for and given, the bottom line being it's illegal to park on a path, when people gave this advise (which was asked for) they were accused of being angry, when people asked if the OP had parked on the path (which she obviously had as they said everybody else does and there is nowhere else to park) the Op would not respond. It's not a matter of being a holy Joes but simply a matter that a lot of posters have in issue with foot paths being blocked so can empathize with the 'granny’. It seems the OP only wanted advice from people that agreed with them.

I never said it wasn't illegal, or that you shouldn't block people.
Nope, and I do take your point in general. And there are places where it's very difficult to park entirely in accordance with the word of the law without creating an obstruction, although it may be possible to park illegally without causing any difficulty. I did (and perhaps I should have stressed it more for clarity - stress now added!) say "if you're blocking the pavement [...]".

I think most of the discussion, and especially most of the criticism, has really been predicated on people who do block the pavement for people who need to use it, not those parking with, let's call it, pragmatic illegality but who are still being considerate. I've no bone to pick with the latter; the former should be made use a wheelchair and wheel themselves around their own neighbourhood for a month with no access to a car. Enforced empathy therapy, I'll call it. :rolleyes:

Just saw your bike lane post: they should be made cycle.

I think people are too quick to "angry" mode. Usually it just someone just not thinking that is causing you a problem, and friendly reminder is often all someone needs to accommodate you. I prefer to think that was the intention of the note in the door mentioned in the OP original post.

I agree, and I thought there were a few overreactions on the thread - not least by the OP! But it also gets very frustrating for people to have to keep asking to be accommodated, when it's their reasonable right to have an unobstructed pavement. Sometimes people need to think just a little more...

There is no ganging up involved. Jaybird...

Strange how there is no sign of op. I also have had the inconvenience of cars blocking the footpath, we dont know the road the op is on, so it unfair to condem. Perhaps they are making the best of a bad situation.

Whos ganging up?! The OP asked a question, they had their answer but then accused people of getting angry... and why? cos they didnt get the answer they wanted I guess!

Me thinks its time to let this thread drop.

If you don't have anywhere to park your car then don't buy one. When I lived in areas where there was no on-street parking and no driveway then I had to make alternative arrangements.

Agree with you there Purple. If you have a car you need to find a space to park before you buy a place.

If you don't have anywhere to park your car then don't buy one. When I lived in areas where there was no on-street parking and no driveway then I had to make alternative arrangements.

What a wonderful world it is you live in, Did you have any kids to ferry around, was there public transport within walking distance.... Your right on one thing Smashbox. This is exhausted.

You cannot park on the path,it does not matter if someone else is doing it,it is illegal and wrong.

my wife was walking home one day and someone parked their car right in front of her as she was walking half in the drive and half out on the path. She stopped and waited until they moved and proved her point. If she didn't she would have been forced to push the buggy onto the road.

The OP should be ashamed of themself

As previous posters have stated parking on the path is illegal, hwever, usually a general 'rule' if leaving a car parked on a path is to ensure a double buggy or wheelchair can get by - then you'll be unlucky to get a ticket......
It's not just a question of leaving room. A friend of mine who is blind and uses the white cane regularly comes home with black and blue shins, bruised from knocking into cars on the pavement where they aren't expected.

And don't get me started on parking in cycle lanes!

It's not just a question of leaving room. A friend of mine who is blind and uses the white cane regularly comes home with black and blue shins, bruised from knocking into cars on the pavement where they aren't expected.

And don't get me started on parking in cycle lanes!

There is a blind man living on my mams road. I saw him come around the corner from work one evening and bash straight into a car parked halfway up on the path. Also at the entrance to the Estate. So restricting visability. I had passed it a few times, but when I saw that, I was quite annoyed so I parked up my car and went in and knocked into the house concerned. They were quite apologetic and a bit upset (with themselves)as it just did not cross their mind.

What a wonderful world it is you live in, Did you have any kids to ferry around, was there public transport within walking distance.... Your right on one thing Smashbox. This is exhausted.
So because you need a car you have a right to park it anywhere you want?
Why not just park it in your neighbour’s driveway? Hell, if you have kids to ferry around sure your neighbour should just let you use their car.

I lived in a house on a clearway with no front garden. I kept my bicycle in the house.
When I had kids and needed a car I moved to a house where I had somewhere to park it.
Children are allowed to construct an argument based on “but I need/want”, adults (grown-up’s) are not, at least not if they don’t want to be regarded as children.

Agree with you there Purp, if you need a car, don't buy or rent a house without the space for it. If you didnt need a car at the time of your purchase, and your situation changes, so must your house.

Back