Parental leave calculation

peteb

The missus is returning to work shortly after extended unpaid maternity leave. As part of the process she was looking to go to a 3 day week for a while.

she currently works 5 days a week. And her employer was suggesting that she returns contracted to a 4 day week and then takes one parental day a week.

Parental leave is obviously 18 weeks x 5 days = 90 days. But if they contract her to 4 days at the same time, does this reduce to 75 days? Seems a bit unfair. can anyone clarify?

thanks

Sorry I might be misunderstanding, but are they trying to use her maternity leave and return to change the terms and conditions of her contract?

I would ask her company why have they suggested this and what is the advantage to the employee ?

How long does she want to work a 3 days a week and does she want to go back to 5 days a week afterwards ?

If so, be very clear in asking for this and if they agree to it, get it in writing .

If she reduces her contract to 4 days, her holiday entitlements will reduce by 20% too. Using parental leave they will remain at 100%. Not sure on the reduction of parental leave, but as it is based on a normal weeks work, it would appear to me her employer could claim that her week was 4 days and only allow the 75. Definitely clarify this.

Sorry I might be misunderstanding, but are they trying to use her maternity leave and return to change the terms and conditions of her contract?

No. She looked to extend her maternity out for another few months unpaid and then return to work. But as part of that conversation we wanted to know the possibility of 3 and 4 day weeks so we can plan for childcare in the future.

I would ask her company why have they suggested this and what is the advantage to the employee ?

How long does she want to work a 3 days a week and does she want to go back to 5 days a week afterwards ?

If so, be very clear in asking for this and if they agree to it, get it in writing .

Recollection of our conversation on this, which was a while ago, but think the intention was to generally end up on a four day week for the next few years. And the parental leave is just being used to facilitate the 3 day option.

If she reduces her contract to 4 days, her holiday entitlements will reduce by 20% too. Using parental leave they will remain at 100%. Not sure on the reduction of parental leave, but as it is based on a normal weeks work, it would appear to me her employer could claim that her week was 4 days and only allow the 75. Definitely clarify this.

Will do. Thanks all.

So we can't confirm the 75 or 90?

Have a look at citizens information re parental leave. It's calculated based on working weeks so 90 days only if full time, reduced proportionately if part time contract. Consider using parental leave two days per week initially - holiday leave not affected by parental leave as poster above said. Have used up all mine now but found it was most beneficial to use parental leave first before going on part time contract. Eg took Mondays off as parental leave but not on bank holidays so got full pay those weeks.

Back